Another case of Weil's Disease from canal water.

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

9 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

You can always tell a male nurse in a public toilet, they wash their hands;

you can tell a psychiatric nurse because they wash their hands , and  then open the door with their elbow.

As an apprentice engineer I was taught to wash my hands before going to toilet. You may have something on your hands which you don't want on your tackle

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Tonka said:

As an apprentice engineer I was taught to wash my hands before going to toilet. You may have something on your hands which you don't want on your tackle

For example, from chopping up red chillies. Yes I washed my hands. No it didn't remove all the hot stuff, as I found out shortly afterwards when sitting on the tube feeling like my pants were on fire... ?

Also, under similar circumstances I would discourage people from putting in soft contact lenses. Don't ask...

On 06/12/2019 at 11:08, Alan de Enfield said:

Infection

• The bacteria are unable to survive in salt water, so there is no risk of infection of Weil's disease from swimming in the sea.

https://www.rospa.com/Leisure-Safety/Water/Advice/Weils-Disease

Does it survive out of the water? If a rat has been on your boat do you need to disinfect - it's probably a good idea anyway but is Leptospirosis a risk?

On 10/12/2019 at 18:56, Alan de Enfield said:

And, if fired over 'public land' (towpath for example), would have serious implications for the "nut behind the butt".

Only used in the confines of my garden, aimed so they don't stray over the boundary?

10 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Apologies - my confusion came from the fact that the discussion was attracting rats 'on the bank' to eat up the crumbs following a BBQ.

Fine, I have 4 chickens and umpteen rats. 

I suffered a terrible shock when I was a child. It all began one fine Sunday morn when my dad took me to Petticoat lane market with the promise of fresh eggs and feathery pets and we came away all jolly like with a box load of six chicks. Dad had already constructed a chicken run and roosting box with bits of wood and old straightened out rusty nails. Upon this run we used to race snails with racing numbers painted on their shells with mums red nail varnish, but that was a flop as non ever reached the finishing line without sloping off down the sides, the races lasted hours and hours, but that's another story.

Dad had made an incubator for the chicks, a carboard box with 20w light bulb in it, even that was really too hot for them, you could see them sweating and one which we'd named ''Ever-Ready'' even demanded sun glasses. But they all survived that oven, grew up and were transferred to their new home ''The Run''.  We'd made firm pets with them all despite one called Bella that pecked me in the eye when I'd crawled into the Run to play games with them, I got through two bottles of TCP bathing that eye.  Names like Bella already mentioned, Erb, Vidor, Ever Ready, Fluffy, Fatso and names like that. And then, the first big shock, COCKADOODLEDOOO!!! at dawn. We leapt out of bed, run down to the Ran, no, ran down to the Run and found all of them crowing, all bloomin cockeralls, no hens and no fresh eggs. My dad reckoned he was an expspurt on chickens, nevertheless he'd been done by that geezer at the market who swore they were all hen chicks, 2/6d each they were too.

The next big shock was when we ran down the garden to feed them one morning to behold a macabre and gruesome sight, rats must have bored holes in the wooden floor from below and laid in wait for the birds to poke their heads down the holes and then bit their heads off. Five were dead, only Fluffy survived.  Sorry I can't go on anymore I'm still upset over the spectacle.  :sick:

Edited by bizzard

Leptospira are bacteria that are found in animal urine, including rats, cows, pigs and dogs and as such are contracted in water or in contact with soil. So the dangers of contact are more common than suspected, although the cases in this country are generally low, it seems. 

leptospira.jpg

Edited by Heartland