Wire Strippers - which ones?

Richard10002

Featured Posts

I need to cut a 16mm2 cable in situ, then strip the ends to add some terminals. The position is quite awkward so, where I would usually use a stanley knife on a hard surface to do the stripping, that isn't an option here, so I think I need a proper wire stripper.

I've found a few Jokari strippers and this 4-16mm one seems to be right for the 7.7mm diameter cable that I need to cut:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jokari-Secura-Cable-Knife-4-16mm/dp/B002J8YC1Y/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=jokari%2B4-16mm&qid=1575580843&s=diy&sr=1-1&th=1

In the space I've got I wont be able to spin it through 360 degrees, but hope I'll be able to make it work.

Before I buy it, are there any simple ways of stripping wires without a special tool, and without taking your fingers off with a Stanley knife? Or any alternative tools better suited to a small and awkward space?

Many thanks.

9 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

In the space I've got I wont be able to spin it through 360 degrees, but hope I'll be able to make it work.

If you simply start where you want it stripped back to and then pull the tool to the end of the cable you’ll be able to peel the insulation back and then trim it off with a small pair of side cutters. I have a similar tool that I bought for stripping audio multicore and it’s a very useful thing. 

This one from RS is about the same price but considerably shorter:

https://uk.rs-online.com/mobile/p/wire-strippers/1763418/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ideal-Industries-Inc-45-165-Compatible/dp/B07D5RCYW9/ref=asc_df_B07D5RCYW9/?tag=bingshoppinga-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=&hvpos=&hvnetw=o&hvrand=&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583520388294413&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ideal-Industries-Stripmaster-Wire-Stripper/dp/B0186JTHBE/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=stripmaster&qid=1575622405&s=diy&sr=1-1

31KXO0nsE2L__SY355_.jpg

41g2W5Ol5GL__SY355_.jpg

You can't go wrong with these in your kit. The STRIPMASTERS shown here are too expensive, but MachineMart do something very similar for about £10.00. The one you have been shown already in other posts above is too large for the job you're doing. I make looms and prepare plugs for the railway and know the equipment I've displayed. The one that was mentioned early is better for the larger cables, like those needed for the battery. But, even the small black peg stripper shown here is capable of some wide gauged wires - it is very good. Just be sure to set the blades on a waste strip of wire first.

Edited by Higgs

5 hours ago, Higgs said:

You can't go wrong with these in your kit.

Except both of them are way too small for the 16mm2 cable that OP wishes to strip (about 10mm in diameter). 

16 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

I've found a data sheet on the Jokari T10160 which shows that the tool is 13.2cm long, and the packaging is 25.8cm long.

so, about the same as the RS one.

So the dimensions on that Amazon listing (3 x 8.6 x 25.6 cm) are for the packaging? How unintuitive. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

Except both of them are way too small for the 16mm2 cable that OP wishes to strip (about 10mm in diameter). 

So the dimensions on that Amazon listing (3 x 8.6 x 25.6 cm) are for the packaging? How unintuitive. 

The STRIPMASTER strips smaller cable and wire (it's a damned good stripper, though) , but, I have one of those small black peg strippers in my hand and it will accommodate the 7.7mm cable of the OP. It is surprising what they can fit around. I use a similar type, like the alternative you suggest, and not too often, if I can avoid using them. If the small black peg stripper seems small, there are others similar and larger, and much easier to handle, IMO, as an option.

Edited by Higgs