Heater Plugs Switch

Puff Along

Featured Posts

Hi.I had a few pointers before re wiring of heater plugs. I had a relay.General opinion was why!!!It was on when I got it.I have removed it so turn on ignition hold key over away she goes  But key is low I'm tall old an fat and cabin is Tight to say the least   So awkward hold key in position. So I thought take wiring away from ignition on to a neon switch. Done all that but blowing fuse after fuse 15/20/25 amps .....I know put it back to how it was but just thought it would be easier  I could also leave it on for 20 seconds after ignition to burn up excess .Can it be done?Cheers 

A relay is just one more thing to fail unless you want to use undersized cable for the longer runs. Is this a 1.5, 1.8, 2.2 or 2.5. The reason I ask is because the more modern ones use  glow plugs that demand a much higher current . bout 25 amps steady on 1.5s and 75 Amps plus dropping to about 50 amps on the 1.8s     (unless someone has changed the plugs for pattern ones, some of them use different currents).

I would have thought a push button switch would be easier to use, even if it does end up being like an old Mini start button. Otherwise a simple push button and relay close to the engine.

Burn up excess what? You won't have excess electricity and if you think glow plugs will burn excess fuel better than a single combustion stroke then best of luck. Glow plugs will do nothing to burn off fuel in the exhaust system, its that which smokes after a period of cranking without starting.

PS modern car diesels keep their glow pugs on to help reduce diesel knock and possibly reduce emissions but if that is what you are after you have the wrong engine.

Edited by Tony Brooks