Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
doratheexplorer

Where would you build this new canal?

Featured Posts

I'd build a single track 7' Pontcysyllte style aqueduct across the channel so narrowboats could pop to France.  Barton style openings to maintain sea lanes in the channel; north south convoys on alternate days.

• Happy 1

14 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Around 1000 between Llangollen and the coast?

How about this: Llangollen > Corwen > Bala > Dolgellau > Porthmadog. Doable?

Kind of moot though isnt it...

23 minutes ago, longstreath said:

How about this: Llangollen > Corwen > Bala > Dolgellau > Porthmadog. Doable?

Kind of moot though isnt it...

It's fun to think about.  I like the idea of linking up lakes like they do in Ireland, Scotland, Sweden, USA etc...

Ship canal from Flixstowe to DIRFT - could be commercially viable, and provide a link from the main canal systems to the Broads and Ouse and GU. Also a convient link to the Grand Contour Canal (my 2nd suggestion).

Suggestion the third, River Trent improvements to get 1000 tonne coasters upto the M1 at Sawley. Again low cost, envirmonmentally friendly, and possibly commercially viable also!

A more wild one: A link between the Derwent/Pocky Canal, going via the Market Weighton Canal, and through to the River Hull would be interesting, and useful.

To say I've thought about this before would be an understatement...

10 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

When in comes to locks, 'a lot' is anywhere between 4 and infinity.

I lived and worked in the area for over 10yrs and I might suggest the number of locks would come close to infinity plus 1.

It would be interesting to see a real estimate 

There is a very interesting map of proposals for a canal network in the Hapsburg Empire drawn up in the 1780s. It would have linked Hapsburg lands in the current Ukraine, via Poland and the Czech Republic and Slovakia in the north, with the Adriatic, Slovenia, Croatia and northern Italy to the south, as well as links out to Hungary. The route to the Po Valley was through the ski resort of Bolsano, which would have been interesting when it came to operating the canal in winter.

5 minutes ago, Pluto said:

. The route to the Po Valley was through the ski resort of Bolsano, which would have been interesting when it came to operating the canal in winter.

2 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

And there is a canal there, which we could connect to the main system...

Known locally as "Y Cut"

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4507032

Sounds ilke something to do with polishing cars.

I spent a fair bit of time in Port' years ago and don't remember a canal. Is it one of those very short stubby ones?

10 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

It use to be.

Its at Porthmadog now.

Hwyl fawr.

?

I use the spellings which I remember from the times that I used to go down there.

I believe that "Festiniog" has gained an extra "f" too.

23 minutes ago, Athy said:

Sounds ilke something to do with polishing cars.

I spent a fair bit of time in Port' years ago and don't remember a canal. Is it one of those very short stubby ones?

Cross the road behind the railway station, follow the shore of the lake that is behind the Cob and you'll come to a sluice, behind which is Y Cut. Officially the Tremadoc Canal, it's about a mile long and leads to Tremadoc. It was open from about 1815 to about 1840 and brought stone down to the harbour. 

There was quite a lot of navigation on the rivers and the occasional canal in north west Wales, finding about them isn't easy. I have a book on it, but Amazon don't seem to know it exists, and Google is in denial on the whole subject.

Just now, Athy said:

I use the spellings which I remember from the times that I used to go down there.

I believe that "Festiniog" has gained an extra "f" too.

I'm not a Welsh speaker but my son in law is and he would argue that it always did have two "f"s but the English stole one!

2 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

Cross the road behind the railway station, follow the shore of the lake that is behind the Cob and you'll come to a sluice, behind which is Y Cut. Officially the Tremadoc Canal, it's about a mile long and leads to Tremadoc. It was open from about 1815 to about 1840 and brought stone down to the harbour. 

There was quite a lot of navigation on the rivers and the occasional canal in north west Wales, finding about them isn't easy. I have a book on it, but Amazon don't seem to know it exists, and Google is in denial on the whole subject.

I'm pretty sure Andy Tidy, aka Capt. Ahab of this parish blogged about this ages ago.

6 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

I'm not a Welsh speaker but my son in law is and he would argue that it always did have two "f"s but the English stole one!

...and he would have a valid point. Oddly, the other stations on the line, such as Minfordd and Dduallt, always had their "proper" Welsh spellings. Not sure where Boston Lodge fits into that pattern, though.

On 06/12/2019 at 06:51, alan_fincher said:

Slough to the Thames - it's actually really not that far.

One of the odder proposals is a branch to Daventry from the GU.  Have you been to Daventry?

Yes

Its 2 miles from our house  in a sandstone village what we bought because we didnt want to buy in braunston or in a canal side village. 

I used to think it was a dump 

Then i discovered it as a town.

nhs dentist, gp with appointments that day, good voluntary services , waitrose, and aldi, free parking in town centre if you have too much to carry over the hill, great bike shop, and organised cycle lanes, good open spaces.

20 mins to m1 20 mins to m6. Best of all 1 hrs bike ride from cropredy, stoke , foxton

and hatton, and all canals between. If i wanted to cc and live in the house thats a lot of canal.

yes its an old ford town but it has full employment and lots of diversity.

Sign in to follow this