Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
doratheexplorer

Where would you build this new canal?

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Victor Vectis said:

How about the link from the GU down to the Avon between Warwick and Lem Spa?

(But built to narrowbeam dimentions)

Yes completing the higher Avon to join the GU would be good 

3 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Slough to the Thames - it's actually really not that far.

One of the odder proposals is a branch to Daventry from the GU.  Have you been to Daventry?

Not yet,, as they haven't built it, ,but it sounds feasible.

16 hours ago, matty40s said:

Hadrian's Cut following the line of the old wall.

If Nicola gets her way, all the buttons for the swing bridges and lift bridges to be on the English side.

If Nicola ran this canal you'd have to apply (in gaelic) 2 moons in advance for passage then wait for 3 men in a white van to come and press the buttons for you

26 minutes ago, Waterway2go said:

If Nicola ran this canal you'd have to apply (in gaelic) 2 moons in advance for passage then wait for 3 men in a white van to come and press the buttons for you

Ah, the Winkwell model...

• Greenie 1

15 hours ago, Peter X said:

There are a number of restoration projects going on which I think make more economic sense than new canals, but it wouldn't surprise me if one ore two new canals get built in my lifetime, say the next 30 years or so. Bedford to MK seems to have some momentum behind it.

if we're talking fantasy projects, how about reconnecting Croydon? The canal to the |Surrey docks having been closed in 1836 and being a very unlikely candidate for restoration, maybe we could canalise the river Wandle down to the Thames at Wandsworth, as was considered but rejected before the Surrey Iron Railway was built along much the same route in 1809. Then extend this Wandle Canal up the valley to Carshalton Ponds (pontoon moorings there?) for the benefit of mark99.

There is, or was, a Croydon Canal Restoration Society with relatively few members.  Occasionally a message would be received to say the next working party was at midnight on the 17th.  Volunteers were to meet at West Croydon Station and and bring oxy-acetylene cutting gear.

16 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

One of the odder proposals is a branch to Daventry from the GU.  Have you been to Daventry?

The proposal is pretty much dead now, I think. (Though I share your befuddlement as to why anyone should think it was a good idea.)

21 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Narrow canal from Newtown to Brecon.

This would be beyond lovely. Fairly doable, too: up the Severn valley to Llanidloes, Afon Dulas, tunnel, Afon Marteg, emerge onto the Wye valley just upstream of Rhayader, follow that downstream to Glasbury. Then either to Brecon along the A470 corridor (and a short summit), or up the Llynfi to Talgorse then tunnel across to Talybont-on-Usk.

Edited by Richard Fairhurst

As the majority of my relations live in the Southern parts of Hampshire, a Canal down to the Portsmouth,Petersfield area would be brilliant. I know the Basingstoke exists but if you have an air draft more that 5’10” you can’t get on it. But if you could there’s no water!. Sort these two issues, then run a branch line off Southwards. Could always restore the Portsmouth to London Canal. Take a bit of doing and demolition I guess. 

Edited by Nightwatch
  • Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, richardofaccrington said:

... sad theres only one of them, as its really successful in Scotland.

Thing is, a second one wouldn't be as popular - what makes Falkirk is the fact it's unique

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Don't they get a bit damp ?

Second in command delivery a Quiche just as I was waffling, I mean typing. Well spotted though.

1 minute ago, Nightwatch said:

Second in command delivery a Quiche just as I was waffling, I mean typing. Well spotted though.

Luxury, we only had cardboard box in't middle a road  ….……………………………..

2 hours ago, richardofaccrington said:

If someone won the lottery really big, how about a broad beam link at Foxton using a Falkirk style lift. sad theres only one of them, as its really successful in Scotland.

No thanks, a real big lottery win for me would see 7' 2" narrows developed along the entire GU and K&A.(Just to keep MrFincher happy)

• Greenie 2

3 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

As the majority of my relations live in the Southern parts of Hampshire, a Canal down to the Portsmouth,Petersfield area would be brilliant. I know the Basingstoke exists but if you have an air draft more that 5’10” you can’t get on it. But if you could there’s no water!. Sort these two issues, then run a branch line off Southwards. Could always restore the Portsmouth to London Canal. Take a bit of doing and demolition I guess. 

There is a canal down there not very long I grant you but it does exist

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chichester_Canal

Just now, Loddon said:

There is a canal down there not very long I grant you but it does exist

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chichester_Canal

Yeah! That is part of the canal system that used Portsmouth harbour as a section. Used to be an ammunition run when the Army was in Portsmouth. 

On 06/12/2019 at 10:14, Tacet said:

There is, or was, a Croydon Canal Restoration Society with relatively few members.  Occasionally a message would be received to say the next working party was at midnight on the 17th.  Volunteers were to meet at West Croydon Station and and bring oxy-acetylene cutting gear.

Was there really, and did they do that? If so I doubt the night would have ended well. I've joined a few lost causes in south London  in my time, but was more selective than that.

My school cricket team in Beckenham was very much a lost cause when I got picked; they suffered due to my lack of ability at the game.

I would have stayed away from the fictional Tooting Popular Front:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizen_Smith

Then there is the rather wonderfully odd South Norwood Tourist Board:

https://southnorwoodtouristboard.com ...Good idea, I'm not in it but good luck to them!

On 05/12/2019 at 18:59, restlessnomad said:

If HS2 gets scrapped, I want a canal in place of that, London to Manchester, high speed canal.

Here's a thought, if a canal went on the same route, would it be more expensive or cheaper to actually build?

Edited by robtheplod

On 06/12/2019 at 12:29, Richard Fairhurst said:

This would be beyond lovely. Fairly doable, too: up the Severn valley to Llanidloes, Afon Dulas, tunnel, Afon Marteg, emerge onto the Wye valley just upstream of Rhayader, follow that downstream to Glasbury. Then either to Brecon along the A470 corridor (and a short summit), or up the Llynfi to Talgorse then tunnel across to Talybont-on-Usk.

I know right?  And would link the most significant unconnected canal to the main network.

When canals were first built, it was for commercial / industrial purposes.  Nowadays they are mainly used for leisure, so it makes sense to build them in the most scenic areas.

On 05/12/2019 at 21:34, doratheexplorer said:

Following on from the fantasy new canal thread, where would you build a new uk canal if money and land ownership etc weren't hinderances?

I'll start:  Wide canal from Bishop's Stortford to Cambridge.  Narrow canal from Newtown to Brecon.

I would wait until yours are complete and add a narrow one from Llangollen to Porthmadog.

3 minutes ago, longstreath said:

I would wait until yours are complete and add a narrow one from Llangollen to Porthmadog.

With a 30 mile tunnel under Snowdon?  I must admit, mooring near Portmeirion would be nice.

6 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

With a 30 mile tunnel under Snowdon?  I must admit, mooring near Portmeirion would be nice.

More likely following teh Chesterfield Canal model, with lots of locks and a boat lift or two.

Who needs Portmeirion? The Festiniog Railway terminus is at Portmadoc!

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

More likely following teh Chesterfield Canal model, with lots of locks and a boat lift or two.

Who needs Portmeirion? The Festiniog Railway terminus is at Portmadoc!

Because Portmeirion is a magical place.

6 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Because Portmeirion is a magical place.

I liked it when I worked in the area, but I liked the steam trains more (I was there working on the railway, so it's just as well). I do remember seeing Clough Williams-Ellis, the architect of the village, cycling across the Cob a time or two.

Edited by Athy

30 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Valley floors and locks. You did say money and land ownership were not to be a hinderance. Minimal impact to the national park would be required..

8 minutes ago, longstreath said:

Valley floors and locks. You did say money and land ownership were not to be a hinderance. Minimal impact to the national park would be required..

A lot of locks, in fact a hell of a lot of locks, many many locks