Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
doratheexplorer

Where would you build this new canal?

Featured Posts

Following on from the fantasy new canal thread, where would you build a new uk canal if money and land ownership etc weren't hinderances?

I'll start:  Wide canal from Bishop's Stortford to Cambridge.  Narrow canal from Newtown to Brecon.

10 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Following on from the fantasy new canal thread, where would you build a new uk canal if money and land ownership etc weren't hinderances?

I'll start:  Wide canal from Bishop's Stortford to Cambridge.  Narrow canal from Newtown to Brecon.

Suitable for 14 foot beam, 14 foot airdraft and 6 foot draft.

Northampton to Gt yarmouth

Rather shorter than previously suggested, but Bedford to Milton Keynes - apparently approved some years ago, but I don't think anything has actually happened yet.

12 minutes ago, Athy said:

Rather shorter than previously suggested, but Bedford to Milton Keynes - apparently approved some years ago, but I don't think anything has actually happened yet.

Nor will it in our lifetime.

White elephant of the first order unless all the Gt Ouse locks are widened ;)

8 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Nor will it in our lifetime.

White elephant of the first order unless all the Gt Ouse locks are widened ;)

I don't quite follow that. The new canal would leave the Great Ouse at or near Bedford, and join the Grand Union Canal at or near MK. Most boats on the Grand Union are 7 feet wide or just under. Great Ouse locks (according to the internet) are a minimum of 10 feet wide. So what's the problem? If anything, it would be the Grand Union locks up in the Brum area which would need widening to accept Great Ouse craft, not vice versa.

36 minutes ago, Athy said:

I don't want to see this one built. Getting over to Cambridge is the ultimate canal boating adventure and that part of the system is a real "backwater". It would be sad if it just became another location for displaced London Liveaboards.

Spend the money on something better...I believe a "Great Western Canal" was proposed, I would extend it a bit, Bristol to Cornwall.

Hadrian's Cut following the line of the old wall.

If Nicola gets her way, all the buttons for the swing bridges and lift bridges to be on the English side.

Another one could be to continue the Ashby up to the Trent as planned, re-instating both the cut up to Shobnall and the other cut up to Swarkestone.

Edited by matty40s

17 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

K&A to Poole Harbour, a nice long contour one. 

No need for a canal, The K&A goes within a few yards of the "other" Avon at Pewsey, all it needs is a couple of locks and a bit of dredging.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

I don't quite follow that. The new canal would leave the Great Ouse at or near Bedford, and join the Grand Union Canal at or near MK. Most boats on the Grand Union are 7 feet wide or just under. Great Ouse locks (according to the internet) are a minimum of 10 feet wide. So what's the problem? If anything, it would be the Grand Union locks up in the Brum area which would need widening to accept Great Ouse craft, not vice versa.

One of the selling points was that it would give  access for boats wider than 7ft as there is no water access to EA Anglian rivers for boats over 7ft from the south or without a tidal passage from the north.

You obviously haven't been down the GU recently and seen the number of boats over 7ft!

There are a number of restoration projects going on which I think make more economic sense than new canals, but it wouldn't surprise me if one ore two new canals get built in my lifetime, say the next 30 years or so. Bedford to MK seems to have some momentum behind it.

if we're talking fantasy projects, how about reconnecting Croydon? The canal to the |Surrey docks having been closed in 1836 and being a very unlikely candidate for restoration, maybe we could canalise the river Wandle down to the Thames at Wandsworth, as was considered but rejected before the Surrey Iron Railway was built along much the same route in 1809. Then extend this Wandle Canal up the valley to Carshalton Ponds (pontoon moorings there?) for the benefit of mark99.

Bridgwater to Paulton,  then via the restored Coal Canal to Dundas 

The perhaps Taunton to Exeter, to finish off what the Grand Western started

Could I add a canal from the L&L near Haskayne to the Grand Canal near Sallins - Aqueduct or Tunnel, not fussy which ?

Edited by magpie patrick

Slough to the Thames - it's actually really not that far.

One of the odder proposals is a branch to Daventry from the GU.  Have you been to Daventry?

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Slough to the Thames - it's actually really not that far.

One of the odder proposals is a branch to Daventry from the GU.  Have you been to Daventry?

Slough to Thames would be good

If Northamptonshire needed an enema then Daventry would be the insertion point.

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

How about the link from the GU down to the Avon between Warwick and Lem Spa?

(But built to narrowbeam dimentions)

It might be a 10 lock flight or some tourist attraction of a gimmickz and a bit of dredging , but would cut out Hatton and Stratford canal locks......I'm all for it.

37 minutes ago, matty40s said:

It might be a 10 lock flight or some tourist attraction of a gimmickz and a bit of dredging , but would cut out Hatton and Stratford canal locks......I'm all for it.

The proposal has the link as 4 locks, plus something like 3 locks on the Avon to the existing head of navigation.  Engineering wise it’s quite a simple one, the big issue is the land owners I believe.

Would like to see Tewitfield to Windermere, that would be interesting.