Paint Colour

plumbob

Featured Posts

Hi

I am sure these questions have been asked but here goes anyway.I have my 38ft narrowboat booked in to be painted professionally in March (heated workshop). I Really like the deep ford transit custom  blue but is has a very fine metallic flake in it. The metallic flake is not garish but is does give the paint depth. My question, would  metallic paint on a narrowboat be akin to breaking wind in the presence of the queen ie, just not done and in poor taste? I would welcome constructive comment. I would add that the roof will be the same light yellow as it currently has with a non slip coating but with a blue border and blue strips over where the mushroom vents are just to break it up a bit. The side will have either a darker red side panel within the blue  around the windows with a yellow coach line around or possibly yellow panel with red coach line. 

7 minutes ago, plumbob said:

My question, would  metallic paint on a narrowboat be akin to breaking wind in the presence of the queen ie, just not done and in poor taste?

Its your boat. However you paint it, you won't please all of the people all of the time. So do it how you want it.

• Greenie 1

Narrowboating involves some unavoidable contact with unyielding gnarly vegetation. Meeting another  boat in a narrows on a windy day,  with the towpath being on the other side, and then having to maintain way to keep steerage or the pressure wave of passing pushes you into the undergrowth. The screech of wood on paint, and in our case followed by similar screech from my wife, something about scratch and paint.. The cabin sides are just magnets for all  those concealed thick branches of  aged hawthorn and similar.  The more complex the paint system, the more difficult to touch up. 

51 minutes ago, plumbob said:

My question, would  metallic paint on a narrowboat be akin to breaking wind in the presence of the queen

As a republican, I would happily take a full blown dump in the presence of the queen, and use her second sons tie to wipe...(well you get the idea).

As a boater, I would not speak to anyone who dared paint their boat in metallic colours, and especially the hue of a mass produce parcel carrier!

As a critical friend, I would warn of the dangers of applying a paint that will be hard to touch up.

As a hedonist, I would say if it pleases you, go for it...

A further consideration is that some pigments are more prone to fade then others.

That magnificent burgundy, and dark blue seem to be particularly fickle, whereas Wyvern Shipping blue seems more stable. Faded paint  makes any  touch ups and repairs  even more problematical.

29 minutes ago, The Dreamer said:

As a republican, I would happily take a full blown dump in the presence of the queen, and use her second sons tie to wipe...(well you get the idea).

As a boater, I would not speak to anyone who dared paint their boat in metallic colours, and especially the hue of a mass produce parcel carrier!

As a critical friend, I would warn of the dangers of applying a paint that will be hard to touch up.

As a hedonist, I would say if it pleases you, go for it...

So you’d class yourself as a hedonistic, friendly, republican boater?

I zoom the boat is to be spray painted with metallic paint. Ihe problem arises if a panel needs a repaint, never mind touching up bits. You would need to engage the same painter because of his particular spraying technique and whether right handed or left handed, reason is the metal particals need to hit the job the same all over. If a different paint sprayer is used the metal particals will hit the job at different angle than they did with the original sprayer and will cause what look like different colour tones of the same colour, looked at from different angles and differing light conditions, and even worse if the paint sprayers are opposite handed.  Remember old metallic coloured cars like Ford Mk2 Cortinas metallic blue for example when say a door had been resprayed, it would look totally different from the rest at certain angles and lighting even though the paint was exactly the correct colour and the same make, just a different painter,  so beware.   My cat Satchidanander is a really good sprayer. :closedeyes:

2 hours ago, plumbob said:

Hi

I am sure these questions have been asked but here goes anyway.I have my 38ft narrowboat booked in to be painted professionally in March (heated workshop). I Really like the deep ford transit custom  blue but is has a very fine metallic flake in it. The metallic flake is not garish but is does give the paint depth. My question, would  metallic paint on a narrowboat be akin to breaking wind in the presence of the queen ie, just not done and in poor taste? I would welcome constructive comment. I would add that the roof will be the same light yellow as it currently has with a non slip coating but with a blue border and blue strips over where the mushroom vents are just to break it up a bit. The side will have either a darker red side panel within the blue  around the windows with a yellow coach line around or possibly yellow panel with red coach line. 

Automotive paints are normally sprayed and in controlled ‘directions’ to get the aluminium flakes consistent, if you brush paint I think you will end up with a patchy finish depending on the brush strokes etc.  Any repair patches will be even more difficult to blend in. I think you will regret brush applying a metallic paint.

Is your boat more a toy, a home or an asset? (I'm assuming we're not talking about a working boat here - so, tradition is already well out the window)

If it is a toy go for what the flip you like.

If it is a home go for what is practical.

If it is an asset go for what is saleable. (Paint it all-over blue or grey on the outside and paler grey/white inside. Then move it to London before you market it to maximise profits).

Simples.

Where I am metalic is sooo last year's faux pas. You now get matt(e?) narrowboat paint jobs (like those custom matt car finishes).

FWIW I think having the higher contrast colour (probably the yellow based on what you describe) as the coach line is the easiest look to pull off. The red and blue directly next to each other may have too similar a tone. The way David Mack's picture has those colours is nice.

Hi 

Thank you all for your input. I agree with  Bizzard's comments about the flake being difficult to make good when chipped or scratched and i think i will abandon that idea.

One should always look at re-sale value, there was a bright pink wide beam on my marina sales jetty for some reason it took a long while to sell.

The paint to be used is going to be a Jotun 2 pac paint which will still not be as easy to make good as  standard paint, but does last well. With regards to the red colour does red 2 pac paint fade just as much as normal paint? Red cars were traditionally a bggr for fading and peeling  but not so much now.

Anyone had experience with Jotun 2 pac paint?

15 minutes ago, plumbob said:

Hi 

Thank you all for your input. I agree with  Bizzard's comments about the flake being difficult to make good when chipped or scratched and i think i will abandon that idea.

One should always look at re-sale value, there was a bright pink wide beam on my marina sales jetty for some reason it took a long while to sell.

The paint to be used is going to be a Jotun 2 pac paint which will still not be as easy to make good as  standard paint, but does last well. With regards to the red colour does red 2 pac paint fade just as much as normal paint? Red cars were traditionally a bggr for fading and peeling  but not so much now.

Anyone had experience with Jotun 2 pac paint?

Have you ever seen a red van where someone has removed the vinyl lettering, you can see where it stopped the UV getting to the pain years after its been taken off