Hard Standing Owner Fit Out

Steph H

Featured Posts

I'm trying to find somewhere that has hard standing for an owner fit out. I'm planning on getting a boat built in the near future and am trying to work out where I can put it whilst I and my brother fit it out. I'm in Bridgnorth and he'll be in the Stoke area so trying to find somewhere in between. 

I've included a screen shot of the canal map area I'm looking at, somewhere on either the Shropshire Union, Staffordshire and Worcester or Trent and Mersey. If anyone's got any suggestions that would be great. Thank you ?

Screenshot_20191204-132842_Chrome.jpg

Why a hard standing fit out?  Everything,   including the fitters out, has to go up in the air on the way in, and up and down on the way out again if it needs adjusting. This makes it much harder work than an alongside fit-out.    The attitude of the boat will not be the same as when it is in the water and you will only see if the ballasting is correct when the boat is afloat and the ballast at the most difficult to change much.

Even the professionals do bespoke fit out in the water (though I accept the production line East European or Chinese ones are ashore).

Afloat fit out space is also much easier to find.

N

26 minutes ago, BEngo said:

Really? Afloat space is limited to the canal network. Hard standing can be found anywhere - in your driveway if you have space, on an industrial estate, a farmyard etc. (or indeed at a boatyard).

Talk to you local commercial property agents and see what sort of lock-up yard space may be available on a short term let in your neighbourhood.

38 minutes ago, BEngo said:

Why a hard standing fit out?  Everything,   including the fitters out, has to go up in the air on the way in, and up and down on the way out again if it needs adjusting. This makes it much harder work than an alongside fit-out.    The attitude of the boat will not be the same as when it is in the water and you will only see if the ballasting is correct when the boat is afloat and the ballast at the most difficult to change much.

Even the professionals do bespoke fit out in the water (though I accept the production line East European or Chinese ones are ashore).

N

I would echo these comments.(the ones about doing it afloat) I fitted my boat out from a bare shell afloat and thinking about it had I fitted out ashore it would have been far harder. Imagine manhandling an 8 X 4 board into the boat.  You would need to choose your mooring with care. You wouldn't want to be walking down a long pontoon too many times. you would also want 230v available on shore.

Good luck. It will take you at least twice as long as you reasonably estimate but the satisfaction you will feel over the years is incalculable. You will also know exactly how it was put together so maintenance / alterations will be easier.

Frank 

Edited by Slim

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

Really? Afloat space is limited to the canal network. Hard standing can be found anywhere - in your driveway if you have space, on an industrial estate, a farmyard etc. (or indeed at a boatyard).

Talk to you local commercial property agents and see what sort of lock-up yard space may be available on a short term let in your neighbourhood.

I did mine on a waste piece of farm land in Suffolk, thankfully I can lift all my floring so could change 90% of the ballast after I had launched it

Bought my 57 foot semi trad. sailaway with engine, water tank, ballast and flooring in place -not insulated. In my case had the hull moved from North Midlands to Cornwall where I paid £100 a month to a local kennels to use part of their car park (It included electric and water when needed) Never had to lift a 8 x 4 sheet as I`d prepared most of the timber work etc in my little w/shop at home. It was 5 mins drive. Would do that way again IF I ever decided to do another-doubtful as we`re very happy with the result. Cost me around £2500 to move to my place and return to the marina. Worked well for me.

Fitting out my sailaway on the water has been very difficult owing to the scarcity of places where I could bring stuff from a vehicle to the water's edge.  On one occasion a boatyard offered me a space on their wharf to take 1 (one!) load on - for £175!

Do it on land. I've fitted out boats on water and its a right hassle, Mud, bikes, everybody wants to talk, no storage, b****** rain. I've also fitted out and refitted a boat on land, so much easier. store stuff under the boat, get a bench/pile of pallets of some sort and you can cut sheets of ply and bigger stuff out of the boat, rig a waterproof sheet in some corner and you can work under it. Absolutely no question about it.  I know its the wrong side of Bridgnorth for Stafford but Roys yard at Stourport is good and also Sirius yachts at Stourport has hard standing, Roys yard is right by Sirius yachts, electric, water, fence, recommended as I fitted out my boat there.

Thank you all for your responses.

To me ( and yes I know I'm a newbie) it just makes more sense to have it on hard standing for the fit out, stability, trying to get stuff on and off either on a pontoon or on the canal edge just seems like a recipe for disaster.  Security also is something I'm aware of.  I have heard of the cupboard doors etc not opening or closing once moved from hard standing into the water but as I'm not having many if any built in situ cupboards I don't think it's going to be that much of an issue.

Thank you for the recommendations Bee, I had spotted both of those but like you say going to be the wrong side of Bridgnorth for my brother who will be helping me or possibly vice versa with it. I will be morring around that area though so good to know there are good and handy people about.

Fortunately I think I've found somewhere that will work out.