Stolen Outboard, fuel tank and controls.

Verboatin

Featured Posts

My dad owns a boat moored at the Denver Sluice Complex and visited it last weekend to discover that thieves had remoored the boat tightly and had stolen the outboard, fuel tank, and controls. 

The outboard was a Mercury Mariner 4 stroke 15hp, controls were a manual choke single lever, electric start. 

Fuel tank was a 20 litre red plastic tank. 

The boat was moored next to ten mile bank and thieves would have had to block the road whilst they took time to get the items off. Due to the weight of the outboard  it would have taken multiple people also. 

Police have been informed.

Keep an eye/ear out please. 

Anyone want a 20ft boat hull?

It may be too late but try listing it here :

http://www.stolenboats.org.uk/Welcome.aspx

The East Anglian Police are very active in combatting boat and outboard theft, they even give away engine covers so that you can take your 'lid' home with you. Not many folk would buy an engine without a lid and a lid is VERY expensive.

Do you have pictures and / or engine serial numbers ?

Check on ebay, Gumtree, Preloved etc it may turn up.

Just for future reference you can buy outboard locks that fasten onto the transom - these are insurance approved so if the outboard is stolen you are fully covered.

17 minutes ago, Verboatin said:

Due to the weight of the outboard  it would have taken multiple people also. 

I think that a 15hp can be easily handled by one person - I have lifted / removed 50Hp outboards on my own.

If one person wants to do it, it is amazing what they can achieve.

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Just for future reference you can buy outboard locks that fasten onto the transom - these are insurance approved so if the outboard is stolen you are fully covered.

I wonder if the "fully covered" includes rebuilding the transom when someone decides to destroy it in order to acquire the securely locked outboard.

That could end up being costly. For some reason I don't think the insurance would cover it. 

Edited by magnetman

12 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I wonder if the "fully covered" includes rebuilding the transom when someone decides destroy it in order to acquire the outboard.

This is what happens with high value outboards. 

But is unlikely to happen on a small "few £100" engine.

The insurers insist that the engine is either bolted thru the transom (as we did with our 90hp + ones) or has an outboard clamps as we did with our 25 & 50hp ones,

If they have said use it then they must accept the responsibility for any incidental / collateral damage.

Edited by Alan de Enfield