BCN Challenge 2020

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, tree monkey said:

Walsall basin?

Shall we start a book?

Last time Fulbourne took part the Challenge finished at Walsall Town Basin, but Fulbourne didn't, as we were still on the Rushall flight. Dispatched one of the crew by bike to hand in our log at the finish, while the boat carried on down the Tame Valley and Birmingham & Fazeley. In the early evening we got well and truly stuck right in the middle of the channel in Erdington. Called CRT out and eventually got winched off at about 1.00 in the morning. Not our finest hour!

4 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

What's that small basin with all the weed, new housing estate, moorings but never any boats?

That would be a real shock

Tividale. That would be interesting, not sure where they could serve beer though.

2 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

I seem to remember someone ( maybe @Dr Bob ?) saying they had been talking to someone from Ma Pardoes who said if we finished the challenge there they would do the beer.

I may have imagined it though!

We ended last years BCN at Withymoor. We were talking with Danny & Kevin who said they would look forward to the challenge finishing there in the future and with their connections to Ma Pardoe's seemed a very good option. If you are stuck for a finish then give 'em a call.

7 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

We ended last years BCN at Withymoor. We were talking with Danny & Kevin who said they would look forward to the challenge finishing there in the future and with their connections to Ma Pardoe's seemed a very good option. If you are stuck for a finish then give 'em a call.

I don't think, in fact I know Richard isn't stuck for a finish, he is just being mischievous, leaving us all guessing 

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

I am sure it would make a good finish location, but do they actually have enough moorings there?  However from a route point of view, not very interesting as it would be much the same a Hawne Basin.

2 hours ago, tree monkey said:

Bring our own :)

You just, that could be a brilliant idea, get the residents involved and get the basin dredged.

They do love boats turning up in there in my experience, been there in Albion, Old Friends and Tawny Owl.

2 hours ago, john6767 said:

I am sure it would make a good finish location, but do they actually have enough moorings there?  However from a route point of view, not very interesting as it would be much the same a Hawne Basin.

And staying awake through (yawn!) Netherton Tunnel on the way to the finish could be a real challenge.

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Me me me. 

Oh wait ... I'm not entering my boat this year. 

I was the first entry last year and finished first.  @Dr Bob was the last entry and finished last (apart from @Laurie.Booth obviously! )

There might be advantages in entering early.

So I imagine you are route planning for your crew, whoever they are :)

18 minutes ago, Mrs Tawny Owl said:

The forms have been proofread and approved, the date is set in stone (23rd and 24th May as many have assumed) and the finish booked.

Several here have suggested Withymoor with varying degrees of enthusiasm, and that's where it's going to be.

Our reasons for choosing there this year include:

They are keen to host us, which is always a positive from the organisers point of view

They are going to have a bar all weekend and food available

It will encourage more boats to travel to "the back of the map", and covering more of the BCN is the primary aim of the challenge.

They have also offered to move their own boats so we can all fit in breasted 2 or 3 up, so there should be plenty of room for us.

Participation is open to everyone who has a valid C&RT license, whether you've done it before, the more the merrier (especially after we all get to the bar!)

I can't upload the files here, but email me on bcnschallenge@gmail.com and I'll send them out.

Now I wonder who's going to be first to ask for a form?

Sue

Good choice on the finish.

They were really keen last year when we ended up there and their 'bar' should be excellent. Loads of room to raft boats up. In our lumpy water boat, when we did big races there were often half a dozen boats rafted up ......you could do that at withymoor.

1 minute ago, tree monkey said:

So I imagine you are route planning for your crew, whoever they are :)

I'm not sure if the route scoring/planning sheets get released until later in the year.  It was mid April last year when we got sent the sheets, having entered in February.

When they are released I would be Delhi-ted to start planning ...

• Greenie 1

I think Withymoor will prove to be an excellent choice. They have members who participate in the Challenge and I suspect may be on board the WBDCS trip boat Cecilia this year.

It’s also about an hour closer to the Main Line than Hawne in cruising time which will make a difference come Sunday in terms of planning. Plus there’s a good stretch of clear canal to get there so there shouldn’t be any snarl ups. Netherton Tunnel is wide enough for overtaking ?.

JP