BCN Challenge 2020

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Don't let @Alan de Enfield or @Dr Bob see the type of anchor you use on the Trent or they will get very cross ... :boat: :captain: :judge:

He can be as cross as he likes - it has nothing to do with him what anchor we choose to use.

It is certainly a lot better than some of the chocolate fireguards I have witnessed people relying on

10 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

He can be as cross as he likes - it has nothing to do with him what anchor we choose to use.

It is certainly a lot better than some of the chocolate fireguards I have witnessed people relying on

Might be better if it had some chain attached though ?

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

late joining the party as we decided we couldn't do this years (now cancelled) challenge on Mary Beth.

Not sure how we are fixed for next year but i might look to participate on my Paddle Board if allowed?

I have all the relevant licence, and insurance and think it would be a whole different way to experience?

I know we looked at walkers taking part and maybe kayaks?

And info if this would be allowed would be great.

6 minutes ago, Kustomcut said:

Hi All,

late joining the party as we decided we couldn't do this years (now cancelled) challenge on Mary Beth.

Not sure how we are fixed for next year but i might look to participate on my Paddle Board if allowed?

I have all the relevant licence, and insurance and think it would be a whole different way to experience?

I know we looked at walkers taking part and maybe kayaks?

And info if this would be allowed would be great.

Where would you put the beer?

A paddle board eh?!

Having done a fair bit of punting at Oxford long ago, and in fact I briefly punted in Cambridge in 1974 and Knaresborough in 1994, I've sometimes wondered whether anyone's done the BCN Challenge by punt. Could be fun, but safety would have to be carefully planned, and a camping punt would be needed really. Also get yourselves an Oxford graduate on the crew, Cambridge don't do punting properly.

11 hours ago, Peter X said:

A paddle board eh?!

Having done a fair bit of punting at Oxford long ago, and in fact I briefly punted in Cambridge in 1974 and Knaresborough in 1994, I've sometimes wondered whether anyone's done the BCN Challenge by punt. Could be fun, but safety would have to be carefully planned, and a camping punt would be needed really. Also get yourselves an Oxford graduate on the crew, Cambridge don't do punting properly.

Here's some proper punt racing.  I would guess hazards would include puncturing a hole in the puddle!  I am not going to rise to your gibe about Cambridge punting, it's quite fun bashing into the punts there with a narrowboat.  See also second video below (not mine)!