BCN Challenge 2020

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

This might yet come together for me.

I did the Challenge in 2016 as one of a crew of 8 on the NBT pair, and in 2018 with p6rob on his more modest sized boat, then this year wasn't going to continue my even numbered years pattern (which wasn't a particular policy, it just happened that way), because (a) the NBT are having Nuneaton re-footed and had a packed schedule lined up for after that which included me quite a lot but not the Challenge, and (b) I had VERY serious surgery in January and am super-busy catching up on life after spending much of the winter in hospitals and with more treatment to come.

But I appear to be recovering very well so far, and depending on all sorts of factors, might just be in a position to take part in the delayed BCN Challenge. Any thoughts yet RWLP as to when it might be?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sob!

I have just been reminded that I was supposed to be in Walsall Basin at our secret starting location for the BCN challenge tomorrow night, drinking beer and whisky with our tepid intrepid crew.  And Team Firefly, obviously, because @john6767 can count too.

We had a more ambitious plan than we showed in the virtual challenge, and we didn't have @cheshire~rose and @Postcode stuck in the judging box.

Edited by TheBiscuits
Add a bit
  • Greenie 2
  • Love 1

We pulled in to Walsall Basin about 11:30pm last year for the start of the challenge having spent all day going round the curly wurly. When we tried to find something to eat everywhere was closed.

BCN Challenge 2019

44 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Sob!

I have just been reminded that I was supposed to be in Walsall Basin at our secret starting location for the BCN challenge tomorrow night, drinking beer and whisky with our tepid intrepid crew.  And Team Firefly, obviously, because @john6767 can count too.

We had a more ambitious plan than we showed in the virtual challenge, and we didn't have @cheshire~rose and @Postcode stuck in the judging box.

Yup, I realised today what I should have been up to this weekend, sigh

Edited by tree monkey
  • Sad 1

I was only thinking about it this moring, as I was imagining cruising into Birmingham up the North Stratford and W&B, when in reality I was in the garden in Solihull and the boat is at Napton.

To be honest we had not even got to the point of picking our route and start point, so I don’t know where we would have been heading to tomorrow, but tonight we would have been moored in the centre of Birmingham, sob.

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

Right ....  I'm sure I bet you a pint you'd be moored next to us on the Friday.

I wonder where @RebelMike was starting from?

Walsall would not be a bad bet as a start point, it never is.

Roll on 2021, we were not going to do it then as our son it getting married the following weekend, but I think we will be doing it now, and then running off to the wedding preparations.

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Walsall would not be a bad bet as a start point, it never is.

Only possible start this year, with the rule change that scores the flight both ways but the Walsall Canal only one way.  No extra bonus for the curly wyrely either, so it's the basin up to Birchall and back to Ryder's Green, doing either the non scoring lap of the Walsall or the slow W&E on Friday.  

• Greenie 1

We hadn't done any planning for thiis year yet either, but most of our planning trends to be last minute and varies depending how energetic the crew are feeling on Friday night!

This was also possibly going to be our last year for a bit, as Lily's (hopefully!) starting school in September. The thought of leaving Lapworth at 3.30pm Friday and getting to our start location doesn't sound the best preparations for the challenge!

No doubt we'll find a way to be there next year now though - I've already booked the time off work!

• Greenie 1

54 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Only possible start this year, with the rule change that scores the flight both ways but the Walsall Canal only one way.  No extra bonus for the curly wyrely either, so it's the basin up to Birchall and back to Ryder's Green, doing either the non scoring lap of the Walsall or the slow W&E on Friday.  

I hadn't done route planning by the time it was called off, so I'm not sure, but this logic seems sound. 

We had got as far as deciding to come up via the Coventry canal and cruise the Ashby before coming into Birmigham on the B&F, so we'd also likely be moored somewhere centre of Birmingham tonight.

13 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

Is it time to start a BCN Challenge 2021 thread?

27 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Do we have dates for the 2021 Challenge?

Persistent, ain't ya? :D

35 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Spring bank holiday at the end of May would be a good guess.

Whether or not there is going to be a challenge remains to be seen!

Edited by TheBiscuits
spellink

2 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

Well I've assumed it's going to be the the bank holiday weekend at end of May as that's the time I've booked off work! Really hope they don't change the dates.

If it's any other dates I definitely won't be able to enter - have to book annual leave 12 months ahead to have any chance of getting specific dates, particularly bank holidays or school holidays.

Auntie Wainwright will be along shortly, with a selection of useful devices to enable all who purchase to enter the BCN Challenge at a time of their own choosing.  

N

18 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Sob!

As it happens, the fact that the Bradley Workshops event was cancelled (we were booked in there) and the challenge was cancelled meant that Paul Barber was under no pressure to get the work done we had requested and managed to slot in making some good progress with Kenilworth and putting a chunk of new bottom on Mountbatten as well as replacing doors and hatches and creating a permanent home for the anchor to be stowed on Delhi.

Although we have only seen the photos we are really pleased with what he has done.

100046577_2992460380822653_3131732179051

Although the engine room slide was steel the runners (wood) were long past their best and it was almost impossible to slide

99062607_2992459720822719_10084409436631

We will have to paint the anchor up to make it look a bit prettier but hopefully not so pretty that we won't want to use it in case we scratch it!

I don't think it will fall on @tree monkey's head when he is kipping on there next year but I may need to paint those sticky out trip hazard bits at ankle level in day-glo pink because they will hurt if you walk into them!

100392977_2992459867489371_7941778332876

Oh and before some smart ar*e asks if we have a stove installed under the tug deck - no that is a redundant collar that paul has removed (see the black circle on the cabin top in picture no 1)

4 hours ago, matty40s said:

It was postponed not cancelled wasnt it?

It was postponed with a hope that it might be possible to run it later in the year but the concern about that was that if it is too late then the hours of daylight are lost

3 hours ago, Tom and Bex said:

Well I've assumed it's going to be the the bank holiday weekend at end of May as that's the time I've booked off work! Really hope they don't change the dates.

If it's any other dates I definitely won't be able to enter - have to book annual leave 12 months ahead to have any chance of getting specific dates, particularly bank holidays or school holidays.

I would imagine the traditional date will continue if it is next year although only the organisers will be able to confirm and probably not yet.

31 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

[...] creating a permanent home for the anchor to be stowed on Delhi.

We will have to paint the anchor up to make it look a bit prettier but hopefully not so pretty that we won't want to use it in case we scratch it!

I don't think it will fall on @tree monkey's head when he is kipping on there next year but I may need to paint those sticky out trip hazard bits at ankle level in day-glo pink because they will hurt if you walk into them!

100392977_2992459867489371_7941778332876

Don't let @Alan de Enfield or @Dr Bob see the type of anchor you use on the Trent or they will get very cross ... :boat: :captain: :judge:

• Horror 1