is supposed to read

"Bordesley Junction / Camp Hill Bottom Lock"

Thoughts?

We need a better proof reader

You seem good at this, have you got a bit of spare time John? :D

Richard

2 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Bah, we wus robbed 

That's one of the reasons you are not allowed to participate on that boat this year. :D

I notice the Dudley Tunnel photos now specify ON FOOT at both ends.  Does this mean we must not take boats to the photo locations (as for Wednesbury / Swan Bridge) or just that we can send a runner to photo Dudley Tunnel South without the boat whilst the rest of us do Parkhead locks? 

2 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Richard

If you'd like me to proofread the bonus questions,  I'll promise not share them with everyone else until 0755 on the Saturday! :D

(as long as it doesn't disqualify me from entering)

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

That's one of the reasons you are not allowed to participate on that boat this year. :D

I notice the Dudley Tunnel photos now specify ON FOOT at both ends.  Does this mean we must not take boats to the photo locations (as for Wednesbury / Swan Bridge) or just that we can send a runner to photo Dudley Tunnel South without the boat whilst the rest of us do Parkhead locks? 

Seems like so, and you don't actually get any points for taking the boat into the BCLM at the north end anyway, so that photo can not be on your route and way, so presumably as the other end you don't actually have to take the boat up Parkhead locks either.

5 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Richard

Or one that knows their top from bottom.

On the other point though, I would like to have clarity on the Walsall, that makes a huge difference how that works.

6 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

If you'd like me to proofread the bonus questions,  I'll promise not share them with everyone else until 0755 on the Saturday! :D

(as long as it doesn't disqualify me from entering)

2 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Seems like so, and you don't actually get any points for taking the boat into the BCLM at the north end anyway, so that photo can not be on your route and way, so presumably as the other end you don't actually have to take the boat up Parkhead locks either.

Or one that knows their top from bottom.

On the other point though, I would like to have clarity on the Walsall, that makes a huge difference how that works.

Note the entry for Parkhead locks says you have to submit a photo of the boat at the top lock, this is presumably so you can’t go on foot from Blowers Green to Dudley Tunnel narrows to get the photo bonus.

3 minutes ago, john6767 said:

I reckon BCLM / Dudley Tunnel North is en route from Brades Hall Junction to Factory Junction.

I also reckon I could do Parkhead locks in the time it would take [our photographer] to walk up and get the photo at Dudley South.  Phew, nearly namedropped there!

1 hour ago, john6767 said:

Sue,

Looking at what has been sent out you have

Normally you can do a section in either direction, is that saying that you can only do it in that specific direction only, or just clarifying that you can not do that section both ways?

As you have observed, the "1 Direction only" bit is superfluous, unless otherwise stated any section only scores once - this section is the same

It had crept in because that section used to score in both directions, in amending it we forgot it was no longer necessary

Richard

1 minute ago, RLWP said:

As you have observed, the "1 Direction only" bit is superfluous, unless otherwise stated any section only scores once - this section is the same

Phew.

10 minutes ago, john6767 said:

I would like to have clarity on the Walsall, that makes a huge difference how that works.

Looks like we'll be seeing you on the Friday evening then @john6767! :D

Do we know the itinerary of the BCNS Explorer cruise yet? 

We had heard they are doing Wolverhampton to Oldbury and mooring at the pumphouse on Saturday night, then going to the Titford Pools on the Sunday.

If they all route via Walsall as well it's going to be utter carnage. :D

4 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Do we know the itinerary of the BCNS Explorer cruise yet? 

We had heard they are doing Wolverhampton to Oldbury and mooring at the pumphouse on Saturday night, then going to the Titford Pools on the Sunday.

If they all route via Walsall as well it's going to be utter carnage. :D

Yes, and it clashes. Should be fun!

Imagine the BCN Challenge having a problem because of other boats - I don't think that has ever happened before

Richard

Explorer Cruise itinerary.

Saturday 23rdWolverhampton to Titford . Sunday 24th Titford to Tipton 6 locks Monday 25thTipton to Hawne Basin 3 locks

And this from the organiser

We should arrive at Titford sometime in the afternoon - sorry can't be accurate but we will move aside to let any Challenger to use the locks before us.

The same would apply on the way down on the Sunday morning. We are likely to start at about 9am.

I will instruct the cruisers to allow Challengers free pass.

So that this into your account when planning your route.

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Imagine the BCN Challenge having a problem because of other boats - I don't think that has ever happened before

Richard

It did to those of us starting at Aldersley Junction two years ago. Three boats waiting for 0800 and then a string of boats from the Wolverhampton Boat Club appeared one after the other so by 0800 there were nine boats ahead of us all in the flight and some empty pounds.

They’d met at Autherley at 0600 so they cleared the flight before any of the locals could cause them trouble (their view of things not mine). They all then proceeded to such far flung places as Wednesfield and Tipton.

I will never join a cruising club.

JP

2 minutes ago, Mrs Tawny Owl said:

Explorer Cruise itinerary.

Saturday 23rdWolverhampton to Titford . Sunday 24th Titford to Tipton 6 locks Monday 25thTipton to Hawne Basin 3 locks

And this from the organiser

We should arrive at Titford sometime in the afternoon - sorry can't be accurate but we will move aside to let any Challenger to use the locks before us.

The same would apply on the way down on the Sunday morning. We are likely to start at about 9am.

I will instruct the cruisers to allow Challengers free pass.

So that this into your account when planning your route.

Thanks Sue (and presumably Brenda!)

It seems they will just be having a nice relaxing cruise that weekend, so we are not going to be crossing them on the Walsall flight as well.

25 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Richard

It did when some muppet decided to leave Titford at 12.30pm on the Sunday a couple years ago with 25 boats coming up. He insisted on using 2 lines and opening paddles just a 1/4 turn as he descended...... 

2 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

It did to those of us starting at Aldersley Junction two years ago. Three boats waiting for 0800 and then a string of boats from the Wolverhampton Boat Club appeared one after the other so by 0800 there were nine boats ahead of us all in the flight and some empty pounds.

They’d met at Autherley at 0600 so they cleared the flight before any of the locals could cause them trouble (their view of things not mine). They all then proceeded to such far flung places as Wednesfield and Tipton.

They are a very helpful bunch WBC - the weekend after last year's challenge I met Kenny on Maxwell about to singlehand down Wolverhampton, so I grabbed a windlass and got stuck in. 

As we entered the top lock, half a dozen WBC boats turned up behind us and half the boat club members were walking up the flight setting locks - we were one boat ahead of their return to the club which made for a nice easy run! :D

14 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

They are a very helpful bunch WBC - the weekend after last year's challenge I met Kenny on Maxwell about to singlehand down Wolverhampton, so I grabbed a windlass and got stuck in. 

As we entered the top lock, half a dozen WBC boats turned up behind us and half the boat club members were walking up the flight setting locks - we were one boat ahead of their return to the club which made for a nice easy run! :D

You got it the right way round. I dare say we’d have got the same help if we had been allowed to start earlier. Watching them approach one by one in a seemingly never ending procession was soul destroying when we couldn’t just nip into the bottom lock ahead of them. We helped them all through the bottom lock to get them on their way so at least they weren’t queuing. It didn’t take long to catch them up.

JP

1 hour ago, RLWP said:

It had crept in because that section used to score in both directions, in amending it we forgot it was no longer necessary

Richard

Thanks for the clarification Richard

For initial calculation purposes (before adjusting for such things as overnight stops) this is taken as 1 day of 23 hours and 12 minutes. These are very long days, so long as to be probably impossible, are you sure you want to do this?

I do like canalplan! :D

"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that!"

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

For initial calculation purposes (before adjusting for such things as overnight stops) this is taken as 1 day of 23 hours and 12 minutes. These are very long days, so long as to be probably impossible, are you sure you want to do this?

I do like canalplan! :D

"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that!"

They should change the message if the route is all on the BCN to say, “looks like you are doing the BCN Challenge, or you are a bit mad”.

5 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Canal plan does not factor in old  deep boats with vintage engines and generally aged crew. We are generally well in front of it!

If you log in you can set your own default speeds, as we find it to be pessimistic the way we boat.  Mind you, I have had people complain that there is no way they can keep up with the unrealistic schedule it sets for them on it's standard settings.  I tend to suggest that if they can't go fast they go longer, and try setting off before 10am and not stopping at 3pm for planned 7 hour days ...

For those planning for the BCN challenge I find it is best if you set it to 2 mph and 15 minutes a lock (I'm not saying what I set it to! ;) )

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

If you log in you can set your own default speeds, as we find it to be pessimistic the way we boat.  Mind you, I have had people complain that there is no way they can keep up with the unrealistic schedule it sets for them on it's standard settings.  I tend to suggest that if they can't go fast they go longer, and try setting off before 10am and not stopping at 3pm for planned 7 hour days ...

For those planning for the BCN challenge I find it is best if you set it to 2 mph and 15 minutes a lock (I'm not saying what I set it to! ;) )

I'm sure some try 4mph and 4mins per lock.

I think I used something like 2.5mph and 10mins per lock last year but that was with a motor and butty.

10 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

I think I used something like 2.5mph and 10mins per lock last year but that was with a motor and butty.

2.5 mph is about what we think on the bcn as a maximum. Trouble is as anyone who has a shortened town class knows, the more you wind on the shallower it gets.

Maybe we should electrify the lock wheelers mountain bike.

4 hours ago, RLWP said:

12 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

I think I used something like 2.5mph and 10mins per lock last year

Hmm.

:giggles:

Jokes aside, it's getting time to start bribing @Nine of Hearts with beers on credit again.  He'll be very pleased that the ruleset is the same as last year as it's only a data update to make his planning tool work, and not having to rewrite bits of it.

Shameless plug for http://www.thecatwhowalksbyhimself.co.uk/bcnChallenge.php

3 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Trouble is as anyone who has a shortened town class knows, the more you wind on the shallower it gets.

We had to do some sections last year with me pulling the boat on a line and my crewmate down the weedhatch and vice versa.  I don't remember us going much faster than 2.5 mph at the time!

37 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

I use 3.2mph and 5min per lock in canalplan.  But the real plan come from a spreadsheet that has all our historical times behind so it is based on fact not prediction.

• Greenie 2