BCN Challenge 2020

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

38 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Cruel crew, I think it was the skipper that nominated the sleeping quarters.

There may have been a bit of a mutiny when it started to rain very heavily leaving Matty at the tiller.

Did you know that you can steer Albion with one hand and just a head out of an almost closed rear hatch and rear doors, almost the whole Rushall branch whilst I could smell the yummy food the rest of the crew were enjoying (a humongous lasagna made by someones mum I seem to recall).

I was finally relieved when it stopped raining for a bit and Simon(CaptainFizz) took over.....and enjoyed watching the approaching squall front catch up and the lightning banging round as I ate my dinner and we turned onto the Walsall branch.

19 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Did you know that you can steer Albion with one hand and just a head out of an almost closed rear hatch and rear doors, almost the whole Rushall branch whilst I could smell the yummy food the rest of the crew were enjoying (a humongous lasagna made by someones mum I seem to recall).

I was finally relieved when it stopped raining for a bit and Simon(CaptainFizz) took over.....and enjoyed watching the approaching squall front catch up and the lightning banging round as I ate my dinner and we turned onto the Walsall branch.

Drying out the next day!

FB_IMG_1581445486080.jpg

• Greenie 2

16 hours ago, Mrs Tawny Owl said:

I (We) are in the process of updateing the scoring system for this year.

Once that's done I'll publish on the BCNs website, and send to all current participants.

I don;'t see any reason not to make available to everyone, it might encourage otheres to enter.

Not quite sure when, most of my spare time at the moment is helping my sister with lambing and calving on her farm, I saw 3 lambs born this morning, up and feeding within 1/2 hour. very cute.

It will be in plenty of time for those who've already decided their route to rethink if necessary.

Sue

Thanks Sue.  I'll look out for it.

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent!  The homework sheets have been sent out.

Can we have a ruling/clarification please?

Example:

Tame Valley Junction to Pudding Green Junction - 2.5 miles  -  8 locks  -  x3 bonus

Assume a 50ft boat (1.1 points per mile) and 3 crew (1.25 points per lock).  Does that score as

( (8 x 1.25) + (2.5 x 1.1) ) x 3 = 38.25 points

or as

(8 x 1.25) + ( (2.5 x 1.1) x 3 ) = 18.25 points

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

Example:

Tame Valley Junction to Pudding Green Junction - 2.5 miles  -  8 locks  -  x3 bonus

Assume a 50ft boat (1.1 points per mile) and 3 crew (1.25 points per lock).  Does that score as

or as

I’ve spotted a couple of changes to route coverage and some adjustment to the weightings. Plus an interesting additional feature or two. It’s good to mix it up a bit but thankfully Richard was bluffing about totally re-hashing things. I wasn’t ever going to replan the route in any case. We’re going where we want to go.

I also note the finish location isn’t a specific location on the planner. I would have thought it would need to be unless Windmill End is used but I’d have thought they aren’t quite near enough for that. Plus the fact that you could get a photo at Bumblehole on your way to Withymoor after passing Windmill End so it wouldn’t theoretically be on your route and I don’t think that’s allowed.

I think the answer to your question is the former.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

5 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Example:

or as

And this is why we gave up trying to work out how we scored what we scored last year!

Maths is involved!

It would be nice to think we might get to understand our scoring this year but while some many of our team seem to want to remain competative I am just looking forward to doing some extreme boating. There seems little point to me in putting loads of effort into trying to score as well as possible when you never understand how you get the score you end up with. Perhaps it's a good job some of the team see it differently or we might be rivalling Laurie's place this year.

Bu that is why I am self appointed catering manager for the trip!

Now the really important question is how many bacon butties is it we are going to need?

8 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Example:

or as

After the rules came out and the wording had not changed on the scoring method (ie it was ambiguous), I asked Sue by email for clarification on how the intended calculation method should be.  I have not yet had an answer though.

I think it does devalue the challenge as a competition when you can not work out what your score is, and it would really help to get this point clarified,

The finish location not being a section end is a strange one, but we have had that before with Longwood,  you can just take the distance along that section, after all you can approach it from either direction.

9 minutes ago, john6767 said:

After the rules came out and the wording had not changed on the scoring method (ie it was ambiguous), I asked Sue by email for clarification on how the intended calculation method should be.  I have not yet had an answer though.

I think it does devalue the challenge as a competition when you can not work out what your score is, and it would really help to get this point clarified,

The finish location not being a section end is a strange one, but we have had that before with Longwood,  you can just take the distance along that section, after all you can approach it from either direction.

I’ve always calculated our scores by @TheBiscuits former method and found it correlates, although I didn’t really check last year as we were never in the hunt for a prize.

I’ve already calculated the projected score for our planned route and assumed Withymoor as being 0.5 miles from Windmill End and 2 miles from Parkhead Junction.

JP

1 hour ago, john6767 said:

I do understand your frustration.

Can I say, as Sue does the planning sheets on her own, with me as spellchecker, it's possible this is an oversight

We will have a look at this later today

Richard

Sorry about this, not spotting that the finish is not an end point is an oversight.

We did get a small comittee together to think about the changes, but none of us clocked that. I'll make ammednments and re-issue.

To clarify the scoring per section. The bonus counts for the whole section, so this is the correct calculation

((number of miles * boat points per mile) + (number of locks * points per lock)) * bonus

or if you prefer

(number of miles * boat points per mile * bonus) +  (number of locks * points per lock * bonus)

Which gives the same result.

I'll put that on the revised planning sheet so it is clear.

We'll decide exactly how to cope with the end point not being at the end of a section and make the ammendments.

I'll get that out ASAP but I do need to fit it in round work and my lambing shifts .

Sue

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Mrs Tawny Owl said:

Sorry about this, not spotting that the finish is not an end point is an oversight.

We did get a small comittee together to think about the changes, but none of us clocked that. I'll make ammednments and re-issue.

To clarify the scoring per section. The bonus counts for the whole section, so this is the correct calculation

((number of miles * boat points per mile) + (number of locks * points per lock)) * bonus

or if you prefer

(number of miles * boat points per mile * bonus) +  (number of locks * points per lock * bonus)

Which gives the same result.

I'll put that on the revised planning sheet so it is clear.

We'll decide exactly how to cope with the end point not being at the end of a section and make the ammendments.

I'll get that out ASAP but I do need to fit it in round work and my lambing shifts .

Sue

Thanks Sue

Sue,

Looking at what has been sent out you have

Tame Valley Junction to Walsall Junction 1 Direction only

Normally you can do a section in either direction, is that saying that you can only do it in that specific direction only, or just clarifying that you can not do that section both ways?

Just now, john6767 said:

Sue,

Looking at what has been sent out you have

Normally you can do a section in either direction, is that saying that you can only do it in that specific direction only, or just clarifying that you can not do that section both ways?

I read it as it only scores one way.

Feel free to do it both ways, but nil points for the return leg, wasting 3 hours.

18 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I read it as it only scores one way.

Feel free to do it both ways, but nil points for the return leg, wasting 3 hours.

It is listed once so it is scored one way, but never has that additional text "1 Direction only" before.  So does that mean if you do Walsall to Tame Valley then it does not count?

3 minutes ago, john6767 said:

It is listed once so it is scored one way, but never has that additional text "1 Direction only" before.  So does that mean if you do Walsall to Tame Valley then it does not count?

The Walsall has counted in both directions north of Ocker Hill in recent years and for this year it will apparently only score in one direction. I take that to be either direction - but not both - which is the default for all sections unless specifically listed in both directions. I suspect the additional text is just to highlight the change.

Did you note that Tame Valley (Ocker Hill) to Newton (Rushall) scores in both directions and that Aston to Salford is scored specifically for each of the two routes? All little changes that keep it fresh.

JP

• Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

The Walsall has counted in both directions north of Ocker Hill in recent years and for this year it will apparently only score in one direction. I take that to be either direction - but not both - which is the default for all sections unless specifically listed in both directions. I suspect the additional text is just to highlight the change.

Did you note that Tame Valley (Ocker Hill) to Newton (Rushall) scores in both directions and that Aston to Salford is scored specifically for each of the two routes? All little changes that keep it fresh.

JP

If it were just listed one, which it is, that would be the case, as you can do any section in either direction unless it says otherwise.  It would not need "1 Direction only" additing to it, so that has to mean more, and all I can see that it means is that specific direction only.

The Tame Vally between Ocker Hill and Rushall has been 2 ways for most years I think.  I agree it looks like you can do the loop round Aston and Garrison is you a masochistic enough to want to!