BCN Challenge 2020

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

57 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I do wonder, I seem to be so bloody tired at the end I can hardly string a sentence together.

:)

stopping at 10.30pm and using 2/3 of your allotted rest time to consume Ardberg and giggle is not conducive to brain development or usage.

On 20/01/2020 at 22:17, roland elsdon said:

like the election of the pope our entry will have to wait until smoke re erupts from the mighty lister. ( hopefully less smoke than before)

On that point, is your email working?

Edited by RLWP

Just noticed that the second BCNS Explorer Cruise overlaps with the dates of the Challenge. They’ll be cruising from Ŵolverhampton to Titford Pumphouse on the Saturday and then Titford to Tipton on the Sunday.

It might help those planning Challenge routes to know broadly what times the Explorer Cruise anticipate they will be transiting Oldbury Locks. 

JP

• 3 weeks later...

It will be 3 years this year since I joined in with this as a boater, so think I'll probably throw my hat in the ring again this time.  I can't remember if it's possible to see the scoring system before officially entering?  Is it online somewhere or do I have to pay my fee first?  Thinking about where the accumulator sections are and which canals score in both directions.

5 minutes ago, Dave_P said:

It will be 3 years this year since I joined in with this as a boater, so think I'll probably throw my hat in the ring again this time.  I can't remember if it's possible to see the scoring system before officially entering?  Is it online somewhere or do I have to pay my fee first?  Thinking about where the accumulator sections are and which canals score in both directions.

You pays your money :)

this years scoring system hasn't been published yet

On 26/01/2020 at 15:29, Captain Pegg said:

Just noticed that the second BCNS Explorer Cruise overlaps with the dates of the Challenge. They’ll be cruising from Ŵolverhampton to Titford Pumphouse on the Saturday and then Titford to Tipton on the Sunday.

It might help those planning Challenge routes to know broadly what times the Explorer Cruise anticipate they will be transiting Oldbury Locks. 

JP

Indeed!

4 hours ago, Dave_P said:

ok, but does that mean it's going to be published online or will it be only for participants?

Last years route planner is available on the BCNS website. I’m not sure this years exists yet as I know I was the first entrant for this year but I don’t yet have the route planner.

Although the scoring system gets tweaked every now and again it’s generally always been the case that Ocker Hill to Birchills and Birchills to Horseley Fields score in both directions.

The bonus rated sections are weighted toward the Tame Valley, Wyrley & Essington and Walsall to encourage use of the lesser used sections. It’s mostly only short spurs and connections from the main lines that score bonuses on the southern BCN as the through routes are all well used.

It’s unlikely to change fundamentally as that would defeat the objective of the event.

JP

4 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Last years route planner is available on the BCNS website. I’m not sure this years exists yet as I know I was the first entrant for this year but I don’t yet have the route planner.

Although the scoring system gets tweaked every now and again it’s generally always been the case that Ocker Hill to Birchills and Birchills to Horseley Fields score in both directions.

The bonus rated sections are weighted toward the Tame Valley, Wyrley & Essington and Walsall to encourage use of the lesser used sections. It’s mostly only short spurs and connections from the main lines that score bonuses on the southern BCN as the through routes are all well used.

It’s unlikely to change fundamentally as that would defeat the objective of the event.

JP

I seem to remember that you posted a whole pile of thoughts on how and why to change the scoring system last year.  You correctly pointed out that my route was the highest scoring but didn't use many of the quieter backwaters. 

Something as simple as only scoring Walsall as part of a section would scupper my route from last year totally, and would have forced me to do at least one loop of the Curly Wurley.

I fear that certain people may have been paying attention ...

3 minutes ago, RLWP said:

:giggles:

Uh-oh!  

16 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I seem to remember that you posted a whole pile of thoughts on how and why to change the scoring system last year.  You correctly pointed out that my route was the highest scoring but didn't use many of the quieter backwaters. 

Something as simple as only scoring Walsall as part of a section would scupper my route from last year totally, and would have forced me to do at least one loop of the Curly Wurley.

I fear that certain people may have been paying attention ...

Uh-oh!  

I’ve planned my route so I’m going to have to hope he’s bluffing.

Last year was quite low scoring overall I think, although it also matters as to the length of boat and number of crew as to what the best scoring route will be.

The weightings for boat length and crew size are in the 2020 information pack.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

I (We) are in the process of updateing the scoring system for this year.

Once that's done I'll publish on the BCNs website, and send to all current participants.

I don;'t see any reason not to make available to everyone, it might encourage otheres to enter.

Not quite sure when, most of my spare time at the moment is helping my sister with lambing and calving on her farm, I saw 3 lambs born this morning, up and feeding within 1/2 hour. very cute.

It will be in plenty of time for those who've already decided their route to rethink if necessary.

Sue

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Was that the challenge  when matty was forced to sleep next to the toilet by a cruel crew?

:)

Cruel crew, I think it was the skipper that nominated the sleeping quarters.

There may have been a bit of a mutiny when it started to rain very heavily leaving Matty at the tiller.

• Greenie 1