BCN Challenge 2020

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

Good morning everyone, this is my first post on the forums since having major surgery on Wed. 8th January 2020 !!!

This is still an interesting topic, as I would like to take part again one day in the BCN Challenge, having crewed on it first  in 2016 with the NBT (Narrow Boat Trust) on Nuneaton and Brighton, then again in 2018 with member p6rob (I think? of the forums.

To the best of my knowledge, the NBT are unlikely to take part this year but just might enter in the 2021 event, which would be our first appearance since 2016. I'm not sure when the NBT first entered it, probably some years before I first joined it in early 2016, but not before the NBT was founded in 1970! I'm not sure which year the BCN Challenge was first held in fact and would be interested to know. 

Does anyone know that please, and what year NBT first entered?

I have one or two urgent matters to attend to today, but expect to be back on the forums later today to update my profile and post in one or two other topics.

Until then, if anyone wishes to contact me, please send me a PM, to which I expect I can respond in due course. 

A few forum members know my phone numbers; please don't call me yet, not until I've had my next appointment with my consultant which is on the morning od Tuesday 21 st January 2020.

Peter X

!!!

On 17/01/2020 at 19:36, john6767 said:

The rules (yes I have them) state

That's a bit stingy innit?  Even if I managed 2 x 20 mile days, I'd still only get 60 points + points for answering questions :(  I may be able to finish above Laurie but nothing more.

Or would walkers also benefit from the 2x and 3x accumulator sections?

14 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

That's a bit stingy innit?  Even if I managed 2 x 20 mile days, I'd still only get 60 points + points for answering questions :(  I may be able to finish above Laurie but nothing more.

Don’t see why walkers would not get the multiplier, but I would say they would be competing against other walkers, not boats.

8 hours ago, Peter X said:

Good morning everyone, this is my first post on the forums since having major surgery on Wed. 8th January 2020 !!!

This is still an interesting topic, as I would like to take part again one day in the BCN Challenge, having crewed on it first  in 2016 with the NBT (Narrow Boat Trust) on Nuneaton and Brighton, then again in 2018 with member p6rob (I think? of the forums.

To the best of my knowledge, the NBT are unlikely to take part this year but just might enter in the 2021 event, which would be our first appearance since 2016. I'm not sure when the NBT first entered it, probably some years before I first joined it in early 2016, but not before the NBT was founded in 1970! I'm not sure which year the BCN Challenge was first held in fact and would be interested to know. 

Does anyone know that please, and what year NBT first entered?

I have one or two urgent matters to attend to today, but expect to be back on the forums later today to update my profile and post in one or two other topics.

Until then, if anyone wishes to contact me, please send me a PM, to which I expect I can respond in due course. 

A few forum members know my phone numbers; please don't call me yet, not until I've had my next appointment with my consultant which is on the morning od Tuesday 21 st January 2020.

Peter X

!!!

I wish you a full and speedy recovery Peter.

14 hours ago, john6767 said:

Don’t see why walkers would not get the multiplier, but I would say they would be competing against other walkers, not boats.

Quite. For the overall BCN Challenge to be won by a walker would somewhat defeat the object.

I’ve sent in the entry form, the crew has been selected from a highly experienced shortlist and the planning committee has sat and agreed our intended route. Now we’ve just got to sit and wait for four months. To think this time last week I was questioning whether it would be happening. Doh!

Sorry,

JP

14 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Effort wise, I'd put 2 20 mile days as easier than single handing.  I wonder if you could enter as a walking team and do it as a relay?

19 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Is the route planner/scoring details available in the pack or have you just selected a route you fancy doing whatever the points will turn out to be?

The detailed scoring for the route sections isn’t available but the length of boat and size of crew factors are in the information pack. If you are toward the extreme of these it’s fairly obvious what the difference between lots of locks or lots of miles is likely to be.

While the detail of the bonus factors may change it’s still likely to be the case that the lesser used sections such as the Walsall and the W&E will score the higher factors and the Main Line and B&F will not have bonus factors.

So we’ve selected a route that has a suitable start location from the direction we’ll be approaching the BCN, is likely to score well for our combination of length and crew size, and unless there is a major cock-up has a core route that is definitely achievable in 24 hours with additional options to add in as time and the absence of cock-ups allows.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

6 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Have you ever walked 2 x 20 mile days back to back?

Yep... My record is 120 miles over 4 days, laden with camping gear in 40 degree Spanish heat., however I do have the unfair advantage of youth on my side. 

Still, that's beside the point as surely the challenge is about promoting usage and having fun, both of which any entry will do.  60 points and early finish (15pts) and dress up (20pts) and 10 photos (20pts) and maybe a few bonuses and you're competing with boats 

23 minutes ago, harrybsmith said:

Still, that's beside the point as surely the challenge is about promoting usage and having fun, both of which any entry will do.  60 points and early finish (15pts) and dress up (20pts) and 10 photos (20pts) and maybe a few bonuses and you're competing with boats 

This bit^^

But obviously winning would be good as well ;)

10 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

Oh no! don't tell me you are expecting to be all competative again this year?

Didn't do us much good last year did it?

We did ok, we could do better but as long as we have fun, a strange sort of fun I admit but fun is important