BCN Challenge 2020

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

That is why we need to know if the BCNS are organising so we have a finish point.

As you know Rob I’m awaiting a response to my query posted via the BCNS website on that subject. I’m not hugely confident of getting a response let alone a positive one.

With reference to the notion that the date may change it’s difficult to identify an alternative viable date. I don’t much fancy it on a non-Bank Holiday weekend and the Spring Bank Holiday is the one with the necessary daylight. Unless someone is thinking of the May Day holiday which this year is on the Friday of the second weekend in May. I’d say it’s getting very late to move it forward. It may even be too late full stop unless there has been activity that isn’t being communicated.

JP

3 hours ago, Rob-M said:

That is why we need to know if the BCNS are organising so we have a finish point.

We need to know a finish point so I can plan how to get to work at Moreton in Marsh on Monday and Tuesday. 

I'd be surprised if the dates were to change, it's always on the late spring bank holiday weekend. I think it more likely to get cancelled than have a change of dates. 

6 minutes ago, Tom and Bex said:

I'd be surprised if the dates were to change, it's always on the late spring bank holiday weekend. I think it more likely to get cancelled than have a change of dates. 

It always used to be on the weekend closest to 21 June, to give maximum daylight. Was moved to the Bank Holiday weekend some years ago to give folks the Monday to recover.

17 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

As you know Rob I’m awaiting a response to my query posted via the BCNS website on that subject. I’m not hugely confident of getting a response let alone a positive one.

You may not get a response from the website, if you did it would be a positive one

Richard

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, cheshire~rose said:

Well if the dates did move it could potentially mean we couldn't take part as we have other stuff set in stone for this year and if that happened there could be a lot of crew looking for another boat!

And very fine crew they are :)

1 minute ago, RLWP said:

You may not get a response from the website, if you did it would be a positive one

Richard

?

20 minutes ago, RLWP said:

This years paperwork will be proofread this evening

We have a finish, it isn't one we have used before which is nice

Richard

Thanks Richard.  As people have have some doubts about the dates, are you able to confine that it will be a late May Bank Holiday weekend as usual?

53 minutes ago, harrybsmith said:

Fazeley Junction?

Possibly a hopeful suggestion but presumably in jest.

A new finish location means some original planning which will be good. I’m sure it’s a place where refreshment and sustenance will be readily available. Maybe one of:

Pelsall Common

Tipton

Withymoor/Netherton/Bumble Hole area

Brownhills

Wolverhampton

Longwood (ETA - may have previously finished there???)

or maybe even in Titford Pools, literally ?. Report to HQ boat in the middle and anchor up! Would be fine if someone fits up Phoenix with a bar and it shuttles round selling ale.

I shall definitely be entering Vulpes if for no other reason than crewing provides @Rob-M with an excuse not to be dragged off to the Crick show by his missus. So he’ll be doubly thrilled if there’s a change of date ???

One objective will be to complete the full navigable extent of the BCN with both boat and owner in unison.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

A new finish location means some original planning which will be good. I’m sure it’s a place where refreshment and sustenance will be readily available. Maybe one of:

Pelsall Common

Tipton

Brownhills

Wolverhampton

or maybe even in Titford Pools, literally ?. Report to HQ boat in the middle and anchor up! Would be fine if someone fits up Phoenix with a bar and it shuttles round selling ale.

I shall definitely be entering Vulpes if for no other reason than crewing provides @Rob-M with an excuse not to be dragged off to the Crick show by his missus. So he’ll be doubly thrilled if there’s a change of date ???

One objective will be to complete the full navigable extent of the BCN with both boat and owner in unison.

JP

There was a hint of Crick last night so best get on with some planning for boating.

1 hour ago, Captain Pegg said:

Pelsall Common

Tipton

Brownhills

Wolverhampton

JP

I have long said Pelsall would be good, it would at least make for a different plan.

It finished at Longwood about 5 years ago