Featured Posts

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

I use FB a lot and to be honest it annoys me when people both comment on my posting and like it. I get a notification of the comment and then get lumbered with a notification of the like. I don't care if people like what I say.

Pretty sure you can turn notifications off for various things. You still get the comments and the likes but, hopefully, not the notifications.

10 hours ago, LadyG said:

I subscribe, and I have followed their progress with interest. I don't subsidise this channel.

I do donate very small sums very occasionally in order to help people on the 'net.

I am really glad I don't have to read all these unwarranted and critical comments.

Negative people are best avoided in life

PS it's not their full time occupation, not that that is anyone else's business. Kath saying she is cold and might buy some boots is hardly a sob story.

It may be unusual but I agree very much with that post - I really do think that people are being unpleasant (rather than simply critical in the proper sense)  - I was about to say something similar. I wonder whether some people actually watch the channels they so criticise or if they do, why? I remain envious, and a little perplexed, that vloggers get so many more subscribers that bloggers get viewers . . . .

I subscribe to, and watch a few sailing and narrowboat blogs. Mostly I find them informative an instructive, particularly Cruising The Cut and Free Range Sailing, and the one with Atticus. I dont give any of these any money, (dont know if Cruising The Cut asks for any?), but I would be sorry if any couldn't continue.

I do give a small amount to Terry Miles, the piano player as, in return, you get access to his instructional videos, some of which I have previously purchased so, as well as entertainment, I actually get something of personal value.

8 hours ago, blackrose said:

It's a bit like all this Facebook nonsense. People asking you to "like" things. I'm not interested.

Its like organisations asking for feedback all the time. At one time, If buying something in a shop a 'Thank you' at the end of the transaction sufficed, but now buying online or from a shop that has my contact details results in a request to provide feedback and sometimes a multi-question survey. I rarely bother to reply.

And last week, a few days after the local NHS cancelled a previously booked hospital appointment, I receceived a text message asking me to rate my experience of the (cancelled) appointment!

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, fergyguy said:

I also follow Foxes Afloat but whilst always very informative I preferred their early stuff as was more natural and less production polished but that’s just my opinion and it’s not putting me off watching these guys

there is constant peer pressure to improve production quality. one of them(the tall one) left a youtube comment that he is ocd about music and video syncing perfectly... so I guess he is just perfecting his product for his own satisfaction.

Yes you could be very right on that OCD as he has mentioned it I know. I love to watch them but as with a few I just would like them to be a little less polished and more basic in approach but as I said that’s just my opinion and nothing more.

Colin From Foxes Afloat is Autistic - he very bravely posted a YouTube vlog about it - Autistics do sometimes have OCD but they usually have a "special interest" where they are completely obsessed with something or a subject, often switching special interests very quickly. I seem to remember that Colin did say that he has OCD but I think the video editing is also his special interest which is why he's so intense about it. And no just being obsessed with narrowboats does not mean you are autistic, panic not, there's (quite a lot) more to it than that.