Featured Posts

4 hours ago, Laurie.Booth said:

You missed out "Ramming the plastic boat"

:)

No last time we hit a plastic was pre internet. Fortunate. He got a double whammy a love tap from the motor and a slap from the butty. Fortunately only tea stains.

However when we were hit head on in a bridge on the northern oxford (  typical excuse sorry I didnt see the sodding great loaded boat in the bridge ) it would have gleaned us several million hits.

The owners wife stood in the bow effing and blinding about old boats before slamming the glass cabin door so hard the glass shattered. 
Karma.

• Haha 2

I have been a member of this forum since 2006 and have learnt so much from lots of the participants of this forum, it is a great resource. I also watch quite a few vlogs about the canals especially this last twelve months as we could not journey to our boat this year due to family bereavements. These vlogs have given us a lot of joy and in lots of cases great information, especially Narrowboat Experience. They are informative as well as entertaining. Sure they are not everyone's cup of tea but if we all liked the same thing it would be a boring old world. We look forward to all the vloggers that we watch posting their  latest vid, it gives us our fix of the canals. 

• Greenie 2

I don't understand.  Youtube: America's Got Talent - contortionist   has got 59M views and yet some of the canal youtube's antics in trying to clear the prop via a badly situated weed hatch requiring even more flexibility have got only a few thousand hits.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/12/2019 at 10:20, Mike Todd said:

I know that forum membership has a pre-requisite of a large dollop of cynicism but, hey folks, I do think that you are being more than a tad harsh on Kath and Anna-Marie. Yes, I follow their vlogs but do not patreonise them. We have also crossed paths on a couple of occasions. I suspect that not a few posters here would have a few blushes if their posts overall were subject to the same level of critique!

I have no problem with folk making money out of social media - just so long as the choice whether to fund them lies with me! No-one is forced to watch and I an think of far worse occupations, (legit)morality-wise!

Just watched their latest Vlog, Kath solo for an hour or so cruise. Cold weather(down South) she puts a pair of plastic disposable over-shoes on over her socks then her boots, wears a pair of plastic disposable gloves(no other gloves on top) then tells people it's cold.

Lots of comments on layering up in cold weather and solutions to keep feet warm(good wool socks etc)

She replies to a comment that she's saving for some UGG Boots. Or is she hoping for one of their Parton's to buy her a pair by sending money.   Snowflake YouTuber's at their best. Totally embarrassing.

Edited by PD1964
  • Unimpressed 1

26 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Ugg boots are probably the most useless Winter footwear for British canal towpath other than Jesus Docs or slippers.

That's what makes it so funny and these are experienced Narrowboat Voggers, at least that's what their 20K subscribers think. I don't know who should be more embarrassed their subscribers, patrons or the Vloggers. 

She's "saving for some" in other words she's hinting what she wants for Christmas from one of the mugs they call Patrons. Maybe she's after the "Ugg Adirondack Boot" at $250, when you read their comments there's a lot from the U.S.A, HoHoHo

Edited by PD1964
  • Greenie 1
  • Love 1
  • Unimpressed 2

4 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

That's what makes it so funny and these are experienced Narrowboat Voggers, at least that's what their 20K subscribers think. I don't know who should be more embarrassed their subscribers, patrons or the Vloggers. 

may be this is their full time occupation, in which case they need that patreon revenue stream. I hope they dont tell sob stories to get money because it will kill the channel.

They are not to my taste... I like crusingthecut and robbie cummings and narrowboat adventure, in that order.

Edited by restlessnomad

9 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

may be this is their full time occupation, in which case they need that patreon revenue stream. I hope they dont tell sob stories to get money because it will kill the channel.

They are not to my taste... I like crusingthecut and robbie cummings and narrowboat adventure, in that order.

The only one I watch regularly is Andy Tidy with Life at 2.3 miles an hour   https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrzW1oor-tk40DovgxICJaA

9 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

The only one I watch regularly is Andy Tidy with Life at 2.3 miles an hour   https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrzW1oor-tk40DovgxICJaA

yeah seems good.

I find old men talking about boat very calming but old women irritating(unless they are a sweet old couple).

Either it so happens that the few ladies channels I have seen, they lack polish and/or warmth, or I have some inherent sexist bias.

9 hours ago, matty40s said:

Ugg boots are probably the most useless Winter footwear for British canal towpath other than Jesus Docs or slippers.

I really don't know why folks watch these videos and feel the need to nitpick [ there are quite a few culprits on here]. No one is born with perfect knowledge, we have all had to learn, making quite a few mistakes along the way, that's life. 

Edited by LadyG

9 hours ago, restlessnomad said:

I subscribe, and I have followed their progress with interest. I don't subsidise this channel.

I do donate very small sums very occasionally in order to help people on the 'net.

I am really glad I don't have to read all these unwarranted and critical comments.

Negative people are best avoided in life

PS it's not their full time occupation, not that that is anyone else's business. Kath saying she is cold and might buy some boots is hardly a sob story.

Edited by LadyG

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

I subscribe, and I have followed their progress with interest. I don't subsidise this channel.

I do donate very small sums very occasionally in order to help people on the 'net.

I am really glad I don't have to read all these unwarranted and critical comments.

Negative people are best avoided in life

PS it's not their full time occupation, not that that is anyone else's business. Kath saying she is cold and might buy some boots is hardly a sob story.

I dont watch their channel so I wont know/don't care. People talk, thats normal, I have pointed out at least 5 times the channels I like(see my post above), so am not being negative either.

Btw my views about them(or rather lack of) does not affect them in any way.

and I don't really share your negativity about negative people either, they are part of the ecosystem and balance out overtly sugary positive people.

I considered subscribing and sharing, but decided I wasn't interested.

I don't really understand the whole subscribing thing. I watch plenty of YouTube videos but have never subscribed to anyone's YouTube channel. What's the point? What's in it for me? Nothing, so why bother? It's a bit like all this Facebook nonsense. People asking you to "like" things. I'm not interested.

• Happy 1

21 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I considered subscribing and sharing, but decided I wasn't interested.

I don't really understand the whole subscribing thing. I watch plenty of YouTube videos but have never subscribed to anyone's YouTube channel. What's the point? What's in it for me? Nothing, so why bother? It's a bit like all this Facebook nonsense. People asking you to "like" things. I'm not interested.

I believe Youtube and their advertisers rate these channels, thus paying for the channel, ie more subs, more income., not enough subscribers, they lose income.

I get notification of new vlogs because I subscribe.

I get to see a number of similar vlogs , so I can view channels of similar types, probably via likes.

Edited by LadyG

47 minutes ago, blackrose said:

It's a bit like all this Facebook nonsense. People asking you to "like" things. 

Now, this does puzzle me. One Face Book contact, whom I also know personally, asked me why I wasn't giving his posts likey points. I said that, as I had replied to and commented upon the posts, that showed that I liked them, did it not? He didn't seem satisfied and asked if in future I would press the Like button.

Can anyone explain what advantage he would gain from my doing so?

18 minutes ago, Athy said:

I understand its a 'status thing'

The same way that some seem to view forum 'greenies' as a measure of importance,  knowledge or skills level.

I post here to impart knowledge, make a joke or to pass on something I found interesting or relevant in current affairs, I am not looking for 'greenies' - if someone wants to show they agree, or are grateful, for the information then I'm happy to accept a 'greenie' but I'm not going to be unhappy if I don't get one.

• Greenie 2

31 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I understand its a 'status thing'

The same way that some seem to view forum 'greenies' as a measure of importance,  knowledge or skills level.

An interesting theory, Alan. However, unlike here, where a member's greeno tally is displayed by each post he makes, on FB there is no such display - so how it can add to a person's status I'm not sure, because no one viewing his posts will know how many likey points he's got.

Perhaps my friend was just lonely and wanted to feel needed, or needed to feel wanted, or some such similar guff.

On 06/12/2019 at 13:32, PD1964 said:

No one is really giving them a hard time. I think it’s good in some respect that non-boaters and people from around the world can watch these and get interested in the canals and one day experience and enjoy for real.

The thing is if these Youtube Vloggers and that is all Vloggers who choose to put out instructional and how to Vlogs at least put on all the relevant information including costings and expense and if not have the courtesy to answer the questions informatively when asked about “how much” and not skirt around it.

No one made them start their YouTube Vlogs they chose to, so be prepared to take the rough with the smooth.

I really have not seen these "instructional videos" , they are light entertainment. 

Edited by LadyG

2 hours ago, Athy said:

Now, this does puzzle me. One Face Book contact, whom I also know personally, asked me why I wasn't giving his posts likey points. I said that, as I had replied to and commented upon the posts, that showed that I liked them, did it not? He didn't seem satisfied and asked if in future I would press the Like button.

I use FB a lot and to be honest it annoys me when people both comment on my posting and like it. I get a notification of the comment and then get lumbered with a notification of the like. I don't care if people like what I say.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

An interesting theory, Alan. However, unlike here, where a member's greeno tally is displayed by each post he makes, on FB there is no such display - so how it can add to a person's status I'm not sure, because no one viewing his posts will know how many likey points he's got.

Perhaps my friend was just lonely and wanted to feel needed, or needed to feel wanted, or some such similar guff.

The number of Facebook likes and who liked them are certainly indicated on each post