Featured Posts

726 now so over 50 have been added since the OP.

I'll have a look when I get home at the weekend but it will have to be good to get me to subscribe. I already subscribe to about two dozen (most, but not all, being canal-related) but Cruising The Cut is now the only one I try to keep up to date with.

1 hour ago, nb Innisfree said:

It's only people trying to make a few bob, no crime committed. 

Yes that's totally fine and I don't think anyone has as issue with that, the thing that I find strange is that boat Vloggers (Narrowboat Experience) want to put their Youtube Vlogs out telling all their subscribers their life and what their up to.  Some of their subscribers are looking to get a Narrowboat in the future, so when they ask sensible questions for information about the cost of work their doing to the boat, the cost of their boat the Vlogger refuses to answer. 

Why put a YouTube Vlog on about the process of blackening a boat then refuse to break down the cost involved and refuse to answer how much it cost them, which is relevant and helpful information that people looking to get a boat would want to know?

Edited by PD1964
  • Happy 2

2 hours ago, PD1964 said:

Do you know how much they would they make? I should imagine it would be pennies.

When I viewed the "Narrowboat Experience" YouTube Vlog when they got their boat blackened they refused to answer the questions on how much it cost, now their searching for a boat yard to fit their Diesel fire, I wonder if they try to get discount by mentioning their Youtube Vlogs and subscribers and once again refuse to answer the cost involved questions?

They also refused to answer how much they paid for their boat, which was on sale for £55k, which IMO was way overpriced. I think their plan is to make YouTube Vlogs doing the boat up and trying to get the work done at discount on the premise of their Youtube subscribers, far easier then working to raise the money.

It depends on quite a few factors,  but yes pennies initially, until they get a decent number of subscribers and views per video.

8 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

A friend of my Son makes several £1000's every month ( a very good living) as when reaching a certain level advertisers start to pay 'big numbers'.

He says it is 'better than working for a living'

Until the Google algorithm decides to sack you, as happened to sometime poster here, Dylan Winter.

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/11/columns/guest/winter/index.htm

21 hours ago, PD1964 said:

I very much doubt the OP will be making any money with only 672 subscribers and looks as she is doing it for fun unlike the likes of "Narrowboat Experience " who look like they are aiming their Vlogs at a specific audience to make money and to pay for their boat life. Which makes you wonder are they on the canals because of the love of it, of just to save and make money and then move off in a year or two? As you say interesting.

Narrowboat experience started off with jobs in London, a nice rented flat and a leisure narrowboat. 

They decided to leave London, cc and work from the boat. i don't think they expect to buy a nice flat from their efforts, but does that matter?

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

Im about to start doing this having spent the last 2 days investigating the potential. I may be in the only bit of Australia not on fire but it hasnt stopped me creating my title list.

vidioblogs or whatever they are called tiltle list.

1 Filling my water tank

2 washing the boat ( by hand)

3 Lighting the fire ( do not try this at home)

4 boiling the kettle ( on the range!!!! )

5 Changing gas bottle ( warning H and S issues)

6 de scale ing the hold ( ear protection needed)

7 Emptying toilet ( over 18 viewing)

8 matching grey primer (3 hrs long!!!)

9 checking ecofan operation ( featuring bob)

10 attempting to start engine ( with flat battery after sending all this crp to the sun or moon or cloud or whatever its called)

i look forward to my 10 million viewings or whatever and loads of money.

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

Narrowboat experience started off with jobs in London, a nice rented flat and a leisure narrowboat. 

They decided to leave London, cc and work from the boat. i don't think they expect to buy a nice flat from their efforts, but does that matter?

No not at all, but if they are going to put Vlogs out aimed at new boaters or potential boaters at least answer their questions.

1 hour ago, peterboat said:

Bored to tears in first few seconds

I think most boaters(maybe not Newbies)or at least seasoned boaters are.

Edited by PD1964

I know that forum membership has a pre-requisite of a large dollop of cynicism but, hey folks, I do think that you are being more than a tad harsh on Kath and Anna-Marie. Yes, I follow their vlogs but do not patreonise them. We have also crossed paths on a couple of occasions. I suspect that not a few posters here would have a few blushes if their posts overall were subject to the same level of critique!

I have no problem with folk making money out of social media - just so long as the choice whether to fund them lies with me! No-one is forced to watch and I an think of far worse occupations, (legit)morality-wise!

• Greenie 3

Im not criticising them . Ive never u tube or v blogged or anything in my life i am genuinely unaware of this stuff, however having found out about it I think its hysterical that you can make money out of it.

having had 25 years on the boat and then 15 years in mobile accom   in uk and aus and never had broadband, and paying for mobile data by the gb ive never had the bandwidth or whatever to investigate. Certainly not in my present location, in a campervan half way up a mountain near wopwop.

maybe i spend too much time doing things. 
I downloaded from itunes last week, first time so maybe getting there.

• Love 1

Making money from life’s trials and tribulations used to be called something like an Autobiography.

I have lived a very varied life and family have encouraged me to have a go at writing a full and unabridged account of my own trials and tribulations. It may well become an uninteresting pamphlet for bedtime reading. No-one is interested in my past life. Soon I won’t be able to remember it, so that’ll be that.

5 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

I know that forum membership has a pre-requisite of a large dollop of cynicism but, hey folks, I do think that you are being more than a tad harsh on Kath and Anna-Marie. Yes, I follow their vlogs but do not patreonise them. We have also crossed paths on a couple of occasions. I suspect that not a few posters here would have a few blushes if their posts overall were subject to the same level of critique!

I have no problem with folk making money out of social media - just so long as the choice whether to fund them lies with me! No-one is forced to watch and I an think of far worse occupations, (legit)morality-wise!

No one is really giving them a hard time. I think it’s good in some respect that non-boaters and people from around the world can watch these and get interested in the canals and one day experience and enjoy for real.

The thing is if these Youtube Vloggers and that is all Vloggers who choose to put out instructional and how to Vlogs at least put on all the relevant information including costings and expense and if not have the courtesy to answer the questions informatively when asked about “how much” and not skirt around it.

No one made them start their YouTube Vlogs they chose to, so be prepared to take the rough with the smooth.

Edited by PD1964

9 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

Im about to start doing this having spent the last 2 days investigating the potential. I may be in the only bit of Australia not on fire but it hasnt stopped me creating my title list.

1 Filling my water tank

10 attempting to start engine ( with flat battery after sending all this crp to the sun or moon or cloud or whatever its called)

You'll never get 10 million viewings without including the grand finale of "watching paint dry"! ??

• Haha 1

The world is changing. 

Plenty of audience who watch and then live the dream vicariously.

A friend of mines son loves fishing. But he has never been. It's the summation of hours of watching the  "Matt Hayes" fishing programme on some  TV channel. 

Edited by mark99
  • Greenie 1

12 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

1 Filling my water tank

You missed out "Ramming the plastic boat"

:)

10 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

Im not criticising them . Ive never u tube or v blogged or anything in my life i am genuinely unaware of this stuff, however having found out about it I think its hysterical that you can make money out of it.

having had 25 years on the boat and then 15 years in mobile accom   in uk and aus and never had broadband, and paying for mobile data by the gb ive never had the bandwidth or whatever to investigate. Certainly not in my present location, in a campervan half way up a mountain near wopwop.

maybe i spend too much time doing things. 
I downloaded from itunes last week, first time so maybe getting there.

think you will get shock of your life if you know how much money top youtubers make

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/top-10-highest-paid-youtube-stars-of-2018-forbes/