Featured Posts

There are so many bloggers now it's almost overkill, someone them are painful.....but I suppose there are some who think my posts on here are painful too.

We were in a quiet (not)canalside pub recently, there was one guy with a massive camera and another with a massive blue beard. Apparently he is filming real pubs along the canal system and hoping to sell it to the BBC. The pub we were in is a mile from the canal. He bought his first boat in April this year. ....so that makes him an expert on canal pubs then. 

I think he hasnt found Macofcygnet yet.

47 minutes ago, DianeW said:

This is my YouTube channel. It currently has 86 videos on narrowboat life. I only have 672 subscribers. Please consider helping to grow it by subscribing and sharing. Thank you!  ❤❤❤
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZrZtoKAtW-kt7xMqraGVWw

Nice to see someone putting something back in to the waterways..

It is a crowded market, there are so many canal vlogs out there, if I were to watch them all I wouldn't have time to do anything else.

The ones I tend to watch most are when motioned/linked on peoples Facebook or twitter accounts, saves me the effort of having to hunt them out and gives me the chance to decide if the subject is of interest to me

Tim

Just now, roland elsdon said:

Oh dont understand the blogger thing. Passed me by.

ive got about 5000 photos of boating since 1979 but they probably are not interesting, as they are prints

If you have pictures going back to 1979 I am sure that many of them will be of interest

I have spent the last few years digitising my photo collection which consisted of tens thousand or so prints and a couple of thousand slides. The exercise is finished now and I have them stored on line (Amazon Drive) so that I can refer to/share them from anywhere that I can get a signal.

I generally got the prints digitised professionally, the likes of Jessops do this as a service as do many home workers. However the time consuming bit is labelling them, most half decent photo processing software will batch label and add the dates to the image so that you can sort them by date on the computer.

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, matty40s said:

There are so many bloggers now it's almost overkill, someone them are painful.....but I suppose there are some who think my posts on here are painful too.

We were in a quiet (not)canalside pub recently, there was one guy with a massive camera and another with a massive blue beard. Apparently he is filming real pubs along the canal system and hoping to sell it to the BBC. The pub we were in is a mile from the canal. He bought his first boat in April this year. ....so that makes him an expert on canal pubs then. 

I think he hasnt found Macofcygnet yet.

I see that Cruising The Cut has recently appeared on Amazon Prime, joining another long-time vlogger (Kevin) who now has 6 seasons of "Travels by Narrowboat" on there. Also, Robbie Cumming recently had a 5 episode series on BBC 4. Maybe there are others I'm not aware of as well.

I guess there must be a number of vloggers now wondering if they have what it takes to make the breakthrough to terrestrial or streaming TV.

1 hour ago, Lily Rose said:

I see that Cruising The Cut has recently appeared on Amazon Prime, joining another long-time vlogger (Kevin) who now has 6 seasons of "Travels by Narrowboat" on there. Also, Robbie Cumming recently had a 5 episode series on BBC 4. Maybe there are others I'm not aware of as well.

I guess there must be a number of vloggers now wondering if they have what it takes to make the breakthrough to terrestrial or streaming TV.

cruising the cut is very well made, its that vlog that piqued my interest in narrowboat...

also there is something pleasing about him, and the way he talks, I have binge watched half of them.

30 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

cruising the cut is very well made, its that vlog that piqued my interest in narrowboat...

also there is something pleasing about him, and the way he talks, I have binge watched half of them.

David is very Rticulate, having been a good journalist already, and has an eye for interest in the canals covering all aspects of the world.

Having met him, but luckily evading interview....it is probably a splendid addition to Amazon and might pay for him to continue.

Far preferable to some that have nothing other than lock to lock selfie stick chatter or round the dinnette love ins between couples which are probably best viewed by their kids and nobody else. I have yet to fnd a couple best viewed by others and NOT their kids, but there is probably a blog somewhere.

• Greenie 2

27 minutes ago, The Bearwood Boster said:

I like David's blogs,he just gives the impression he knows & understands what he's talking about.

I disagree (slightly)  David knows he doesn't know and understand everything, so he goes and finds out by chatting to people who might or do......which is why his blogs work.

Just watched two girls living on their boat with their cats sailing down the canal to find someone to fit a diesel fire in their boat, having just bought it a few month ago.  Won't be watching again as don't want to buy their merchandise or be a patron to pay for their lifestyle, while there are many others on the canal system struggling with full time work to maintain their boat and their life afloat while not asking for donations or hand outs. Maybe these Vloggers should show what life is like when you have to go to work everyday and not just sail down the canal for a few hours then sit on their boat for a week editing their Vlogs with relaxing music, scenery and selfies to get more subscribers, Patrons and ultimately money through donations. It's sad that many of their followers have never seen a narrow boat in real life, never mind been on one.

Edited by PD1964
  • Love 1

Now this is an interesting topic ( to me anyway) I have binge watched most of the more popular vlogs inc Narrow Dreams/ Cruising the Cut/ Narrowboat Experience and Foxes Afloat and have found nuggets of inspiration in all of them however not mentioning any names I feel some have started to develop into Commercial style highly polished productions which for me coupled with their need to be selling merchandise and constantly asking for patrons kills the appeal to watch them.

I will be afloat soon with Misty my Labrador on my 57x10 as a single crew adventurer at the tender age of just 63 and yes I intend having a YouTube channel too ( thus adding another one to the list) however my intention is to hopefully inspire people who like me have been through life’s mill and have reached some very dark places in my wellbeing that you can gain your sanity back by opening a new chapter in your life. I feel getting out on the waterways amongst nature learning how to navigate the systems etc meet and interact with similar minded boaters will for me be a good thing and I want to share this with others who may find inspiration from my efforts. But to come back to Narrow Dreams I do like the simple presentation style given by a genuine lady in a non professional relaxed style ( I mean that as a compliment) .Why so many channels is maybe because more folk look at the internet for advise inspiration and entertainment as against simply drawing that from books. 

12 hours ago, matty40s said:

David is very Rticulate, having been a good journalist already, and has an eye for interest in the canals covering all aspects of the world.

Having met him, but luckily evading interview....it is probably a splendid addition to Amazon and might pay for him to continue.

Far preferable to some that have nothing other than lock to lock selfie stick chatter or round the dinnette love ins between couples which are probably best viewed by their kids and nobody else. I have yet to fnd a couple best viewed by others and NOT their kids, but there is probably a blog somewhere.

Journey with Jono is also one of the better vlogs, he is also an ex BBC journalist and comes across very well.

It's interesting to see the blurring of lines between home video making and broadcast tv.  I wonder where it will all end?  Also, this thread blurs the lines between highlighting a useful boating website which costs nothing to view, and advertising which is against the rules because the OP stands to make money.

The world is changing...

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

It's interesting to see the blurring of lines between home video making and broadcast tv.  I wonder where it will all end?  Also, this thread blurs the lines between highlighting a useful boating website which costs nothing to view, and advertising which is against the rules because the OP stands to make money.

The world is changing...

I very much doubt the OP will be making any money with only 672 subscribers and looks as she is doing it for fun unlike the likes of "Narrowboat Experience " who look like they are aiming their Vlogs at a specific audience to make money and to pay for their boat life. Which makes you wonder are they on the canals because of the love of it, of just to save and make money and then move off in a year or two? As you say interesting.

• Love 1

As a (very) full-time working single parent with a small menagerie, a bunch of other pressures and now two boats (the more traditional one is for sale but I don't think I can link to it on the forum as it is on with a broker so definitely would be advertising?) I can attest to the value of occasionally watching some of the less-grating vlogs/RYA/hireboat instructionals with the red tones upped and volume low to lull me to sleep when I don't have the physical or emotional energy to read but need some escapism.

Once upon a time, when less busy, I had a blog and reviewed restaurants. It was originally a creative writing exercise. Later it was kind of fun to eat in a couple of new places for free and meet up with some other bloggers/readers. I get the appeal for those with time/creative urges/desire for connections. I also get the 'fund my lifestyle' stuff but find it icky. I stopped the blog once I'd tried a couple of freebies as it wasn't really the point and a bit icky/conflicting. No different to busking really I suppose though - putting the creative content out there and taking any rewards. But I don't busk either ?

Edited by TheMenagerieAfloat
wobbles

26 minutes ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

I stopped the blog once I'd tried a couple of freebies as it wasn't really the point and a bit icky/conflicting.

I totally get that. I would only feel free to write what I really think about a restaurant if I had chosen to go there and paid for my meal.

2 hours ago, PD1964 said:

I very much doubt the OP will be making any money with only 672 subscribers and looks as she is doing it for fun unlike the likes of "Narrowboat Experience " who look like they are aiming their Vlogs at a specific audience to make money and to pay for their boat life. Which makes you wonder are they on the canals because of the love of it, of just to save and make money and then move off in a year or two? As you say interesting.

The point is that the OP will be wanting to get to 1000 subscribes, at which point they can monetise the channel.  Then they can start to make money from it.

46 minutes ago, john6767 said:

The point is that the OP will be wanting to get to 1000 subscribes, at which point they can monetise the channel.  Then they can start to make money from it.

Do you know how much they would they make? I should imagine it would be pennies.

When I viewed the "Narrowboat Experience" YouTube Vlog when they got their boat blackened they refused to answer the questions on how much it cost, now their searching for a boat yard to fit their Diesel fire, I wonder if they try to get discount by mentioning their Youtube Vlogs and subscribers and once again refuse to answer the cost involved questions?

They also refused to answer how much they paid for their boat, which was on sale for £55k, which IMO was way overpriced. I think their plan is to make YouTube Vlogs doing the boat up and trying to get the work done at discount on the premise of their Youtube subscribers, far easier then working to raise the money.

Edited by PD1964