What’s a safe level level for the trent

KP888

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, KP888 said:

I’ve been monitoring the river level and it seems to have dropped quite a lot this week, the forecast is good until Friday for rain

Will the river between Shardlow and sawley be passable by Thursday do you think  

It depends on your skill and knowledge and your boats readiness for a river still (partly) in flood.

Is your fuel clean ?
Has your tank been cleaned out recently ?
Have your filters been changed ?

Shardlow to Sawley is not that difficult but if you intend to go further than Sawley it is a very different River.

Rain forecast for Thursday into Friday and Monday and quite heavy for Tuesday

We are just looking to get to Sawley at the moment, no boat issue 

we’re quite novice but am planning to get a friend onboard who’s experienced, it’s seems to have dropped quite a lot and is predicated to go down a bit more by Thursday 

what point does it go Amber to green 

The EA site shows that the level is still dropping but leveling off. The floodgates at Cranfleet being open is an indication that it is ok to proceed with caution.

https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/station/2100

Just be prepared that as you leave Shardlow cut the Trent coming in on the right will push you over quite a bit. It's not the time to be going gingerly but to have a bit of throttle on. It's a fairly short trip.

1 hour ago, pearley said:

Just be prepared that as you leave Shardlow cut the Trent coming in on the right will push you over quite a bit. It's not the time to be going gingerly but to have a bit of throttle on. It's a fairly short trip.

Particularly with the Derwent coming in from the left too at the same point. Done it on Amber and the currents there are swirling all over the place. Plenty of power to push through quickly.

CRT have advised that the flood gate at Shardlow has been opened today and that the river is open for navigation. Looking at the levels it may still be in the amber at Derwent Mouth and you will probably have to operate Sawley flood lock,

Go carefully and power past the weir there will be quite a pull from it.

Having done this in many tasty river levels, I expect the Trent to be far stronger than the Derwent once you reach the confluence, ....aboit 20 yards further on from the lock cut....stick the power on and steer right, look at the surface of the water for indications of when to ease off.......and then let yourself enjoy the river in flow. 

As you come under the motorway bridge, start to push with more revs to the right, aiming for the right hand side of the lock cut, you will hit it dead centre......then you wonder what all the fuss was about. 

Shouldn't have any problems. We came downstream from Nottingham yesterday the only problem lock was the exit from Gunthorpe where it is not easy to pick up a lock worker with several layers of clothing and a life jacket impeding her climbing down the ladder.

5 minutes ago, pearley said:

Shouldn't have any problems. We came downstream from Nottingham yesterday the only problem lock was the exit from Gunthorpe where it is not easy to pick up a lock worker with several layers of clothing and a life jacket impeding her climbing down the ladder.

You do know there is a pontoon at the bottom of the lock. Just walk 50 yards down the steps / path.

No need to climb down the ladder into the lock.

43 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You do know there is a pontoon at the bottom of the lock. Just walk 50 yards down the steps / path.

No need to climb down the ladder into the lock.

Yes, I do know but the stream coming from the Weir pushes under it with sufficient force to make it almost impossible to get to it.

1 hour ago, pearley said:

Yes, I do know but the stream coming from the Weir pushes under it with sufficient force to make it almost impossible to get to it.

I was told by a keeper (proper, old time resident one) to always leave the lower gates open if single handing in winter on the Trent. 

It makes life easier for boats approaching from downstream and it’s no hardship to walk down and shut the gates if you arrive topside. Having struggled several times at the Gunthorpe pontoon I always follow his advice. 

1 hour ago, noddyboater said:

I was told by a keeper (proper, old time resident one) to always leave the lower gates open if single handing in winter on the Trent. 

It makes life easier for boats approaching from downstream and it’s no hardship to walk down and shut the gates if you arrive topside. Having struggled several times at the Gunthorpe pontoon I always follow his advice. 

Don't have any problem leaving the gates open but the problem is that my wife refuses to steer on the river so works the locks. But, she also doesn't like climbing ladders so I try to find the shortest one which generally is not the one in the lock.

Incidentally the lock operating console at Hazelford has been changed so there are now only 2 buttons, open and close. Everything is automatic so you cannot leave gates open unless you want to leave your key behind.

1 hour ago, noddyboater said:

What excellent advice.

Exactly the sort of thing that is lost by CaRT getting rid of staff and replacing years of experience with lock smurfs.

3 minutes ago, grahame r said:

On rivers where a by weir is flowing, leaving exit gates open (upper or lower) at all times of year seems to me to be a good idea. It's certainly common practice on the Lea and Stort and advised on the Avon.   

But at Gunthorpe if the topside gates were open you would have to tie up and close them before going up.

I have to say I don't like that pontoon below the lock, even at the best of times!