Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sir Nibble

Let's run a canal.

Featured Posts

43 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

More seriously, how about this canal having a pretty high licence fee but no marinas.  Instead, you can moor anywhere you like for up to a month and the whole 100 miles has electric hook up bollards ever 60ft, and sani stations every mile.  The number of licences would be strictly limited to prevent overcrowding.

I am afraid that would put me off totally I like being in the wild.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Same here, also all the rules and narrow mined people are putting me off it

1 minute ago, Jerra said:

I suppose you definition of wild is different to mine.  No canal is remotely wild, but my idea would ensure there were plenty of spot where you could moor for an extended period away from other boats and not have to spoil your peace by running your engine ever.

6 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

I suppose you definition of wild is different to mine.  No canal is remotely wild, but my idea would ensure there were plenty of spot where you could moor for an extended period away from other boats and not have to spoil your peace by running your engine ever.

Wild as in not having an electric post every few yards, for mooring not a bridge and preferably not a building in sight.    Somewhere where the flora and fauna get chance to be more natural.

I wouldn't be in favour of moorings foe extended periods assuming you mean longer than CRTs 14 days.

Some areas  as you describe but not the whole length.

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

More seriously, how about this canal having a pretty high licence fee but no marinas.  Instead, you can moor anywhere you like for up to a month and the whole 100 miles has electric hook up bollards ever 60ft, and sani stations every mile.  The number of licences would be strictly limited to prevent overcrowding.

we need canal police force, with high speed boat and machine guns.

4 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

With no major honeypot attractions such as a trainstation into London anywhere along its length.

Licences for the first 80% of total capacity to be £n. The next 2% to be more, and so on, with the last boat to be £10n.  Initial allocation by ballot.  Handluggage on boats to be a chargeable extra.

4 hours ago, Jerra said:

Did we ever say this imaginary canal would be appealing to boaters? Come, come...

Except perhaps the Flying Dutchman, who's haunted ship never makes dock....

1 minute ago, magpie patrick said:

Did we ever say this imaginary canal would be appealing to boaters? Come, come...

Except perhaps the Flying Dutchman, who's haunted ship never makes dock....

Ahhh so it is really going to be a linear nature reserve.    Got it.

To make the design easier, you could use plans for canals which were proposed but never built. I would suggest the Settle Canal, and the Ingleton Canal extension, which then links to the earlier proposal down to Conder Green, but stopping this where it crosses the Lancaster. This scheme would have the requisite number of locks, and be of theright length for your suggestion, and would link the Lancaster Canal to the Leeds & Liverpool. The only choice to make would be whether the locks should suit 72 feet or 62 feet boats.

18 hours ago, Pluto said:

To make the design easier, you could use plans for canals which were proposed but never built. I would suggest the Settle Canal, and the Ingleton Canal extension, which then links to the earlier proposal down to Conder Green, but stopping this where it crosses the Lancaster. This scheme would have the requisite number of locks, and be of theright length for your suggestion, and would link the Lancaster Canal to the Leeds & Liverpool. The only choice to make would be whether the locks should suit 72 feet or 62 feet boats.

Good idea a proper link to the lancaster canal for 12 foot wide boats mmmm