Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sir Nibble

Let's run a canal.

Featured Posts

Bored, so I thought I would start a fun what if.

Scenario.

We, us, CWDF have dug a canal. It's just over a hundred miles long with forty two (😁) locks twelve of which are in a single flight. It has a navigable width of twenty five feet and fourteen by seventy two foot locks. It passes through both urban and rural areas with "heritage" all over the place. It connects to a navigable CaRT river at each end. Water abstraction for the summit pound is agreed but pumps not yet installed.

Having dug it, we have to bring it into use. We are the steering committee. Proposals?

10 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

Having dug it, we have to bring it into use. We are the steering committee. Proposals?

We need to decide on the minimum water depth / boat draft allowed.

Have we got an aqueduct?  We need an aqueduct.  If we have an aqueduct, particularly if it is long and high, we can light it up at night, and all the people we want to bring their boats to see it.  Of course, we need lots of boats, because as the nice people  at ANT will attest, trying to run a comparatively short stretch of navigation, whilst maintaining our independence, means we will have to charge an extraordinarily high licence fee!   

2 minutes ago, The Dreamer said:

Have we got an aqueduct?  We need an aqueduct.  If we have an aqueduct, particularly if it is long and high, we can light it up at night, and all the people we want to bring their boats to see it.  Of course, we need lots of boats, because as the nice people  at ANT will attest, trying to run a comparatively short stretch of navigation, whilst maintaining our independence, means we will have to charge an extraordinarily high licence fee!   

Of course we need boats, we wouldn't have dug it otherwise. Unfortunately no aqueduct but it does pass through a lovely piece of natural woodland we could light up if we want a Walt Disney canal.

You need an expensive medal and advertising campaign to attract cyclists, runners and fishermen to spoil the experience of the boating community? (Now ducking and hiding).

4 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

Walt Disney canal.

Na, don’t want a Disney canal, we would have to add coconut essence to the water, and play an eternal loop of “It’s a Small World”.

note: I am now aware that the whole of CWDF will be humming the aforementioned ear worm...

27 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

Scenario.

We, us, CWDF have dug a canal. It's just over a hundred miles long with forty two (😁) locks twelve of which are in a single flight. It has a navigable width of twenty five feet and fourteen by seventy two foot locks. It passes through both urban and rural areas with "heritage" all over the place. It connects to a navigable CaRT river at each end. Water abstraction for the summit pound is agreed but pumps not yet installed.

Lack of ambition I fear.  We should do the 300-foot canal!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Contour_Canal

Our (probably) next Prime Minister was spouting on about supporting it a few years ago - he seems to have gone quiet on the topic since he got into a position he could actually make it happen!

58 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

We need to decide on the minimum water depth / boat draft allowed.

I would also want to set the maximum beam allowed.   14' locks and 25' canal width.

1 hour ago, Jerra said:

I would also want to set the maximum beam allowed.   14' locks and 25' canal width.

I would think that room for two 14' boats to pass each other would help ...

1 minute ago, restlessnomad said:

We need canal builder tycoon sim game...

or for my left leaning friends... canal minister 2020

You don't mean the NCCC do you ?

(National Corbyn Canal Co).

14 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You don't mean the NCCC do you ?

(National Corbyn Canal Co).

only a bourgeoisie will have such impure thought, the canal company will be called 'national united canal of the proletariat'

Edited by restlessnomad
  • Greenie 1

11 hours ago, Sir Nibble said:

Scenario.

Reduce the lock width to a sensible 7'

• Greenie 1
  • Horror 1

The talk so far has centred upon geographical and physical features. How about people? Such a canal would need lengthsmen and other competent staff to ensure smooth running and prompt, professional repair to any damage or malfunction, and to ensure a consistently navigable depth.

Incidentally, Snibs, is this waterway a total figment of your imagination or is it based upon a real one?

We need a parakeet reserve, a sensory towpath, an outdoor gym, a cycle track, and a space for meditation. The newts need somewhere to live, and the water voles. 

The forty-two locks could be a focus for poetry and meditation... 

First thing you need is a committee to create signs. They should come from an industry with no knowledge of law, engineering, environment or common sense. The signs need to be welcoming and inclusive, gender neutral and non threatening. Ideally they should be sign only so as not to offend the illiterate or those for whom English is not a first language.

Right thats the easy bit

next

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Sir Nibble said:

Of course we need boats, we wouldn't have dug it otherwise. Unfortunately no aqueduct but it does pass through a lovely piece of natural woodland we could light up if we want a Walt Disney canal.

Sorry, that is light pollution, we need to ban modern ideas like that.

I need a budgie budget.

Cost per lifting bridge, also a caisson as per Falkirk.

KELPIES, LOTS OF ART, iron horseshoe men in water.

Anchor practicing by artificial weir.

Welly Boot Throwing and Beer Festival Weekend 

test

test2   

Edited by LadyG
--------

2 hours ago, Athy said:

The talk so far has centred upon geographical and physical features. How about people? Such a canal would need lengthsmen and other competent staff to ensure smooth running and prompt, professional repair to any damage or malfunction, and to ensure a consistently navigable depth.

Incidentally, Snibs, is this waterway a total figment of your imagination or is it based upon a real one?

Completely imaginary