boat for an afternoon

Kate17

Featured Posts

21 minutes ago, Kate17 said:

hey guys :)  in the west midlands canals ideally but we can go further if we have to.

its a eco-documentary thing for college. will prob end up on youtube.  1 person might be in the canal for a bit (hopefully not me!! )

And when did you need to do this?

2 hours ago, Kate17 said:

hey guys :)  in the west midlands canals ideally but we can go further if we have to.

its a eco-documentary thing for college. will prob end up on youtube.  1 person might be in the canal for a bit (hopefully not me!! )

Ah. Is the tack of your documentary gonna be predicated on the assumption that boat living is "eco-friendly"?

If so, you will be hard pressed to illustrate this, given that it isn't in the slightest 'eco'. Liveaboard boats burn, for example, stacks of carbon based fuel, mostly diesel and coal. Probably a good deal more than a modern well-insulated house. 

Kate17, may I suggest you give a bit more information about what you're looking for please?

So, you want to film for a few hours one afternoon, on a boat ideally in the west Midlands (lots of canals there!), but maybe a bit further afield.

but when? How soon does it need to be, or do you want to leave it until better weather in the new year?

There's a bunch of students, but do they all need to be on the boat and/or in the film?

Are there any further requirements about the boat and its facilities, location etc., which may arise from the students or from the sort of film you hope to make?

Will you need the boat to come with someone to steer it?

And crew to operate locks or be extras? If so, will there be mandatory costumes? Or if not will your students be willing and able to assist as crew?

Finally, if your requirements are particularly special and demanding, it might be hard to find the right boat at the right time and place with the right people available. People might even want paying! Do you have a budget for that?

I think if you can tell us more, someone on here may well step forwards to help you. People on this forum are a pretty varied bunch, inclined to joke about a lot of things, but mostly helpful.

7 hours ago, Peter X said:

People might even want paying! Do you have a budget for that?

This might invalidate some boaters' insurance.

However, hire fleets, of which there are several in the Midlands, will have the necessary insurance, and many of their boats aren't doing much at this time of year, so you may be able to get the use of one for half a day for not much money. Try contacting, for example, Kate Boats, ABC Leisure, Rose Narrowboats, Union Canal Carriers, Willow Wren.

I'm moored in the centre of Birmingham at the moment.  You're welcome to come and film my boat.  (She's been on telly before and quite liked it).

Kate - once you've made 5 posts on the forum you can send private messages to other members.  This will help with arranging things.

24 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Not a critic, I rather like the idea but please it is AN afternoon. Its really jarring when read as A afternoon.

....unless perhaps Kate is from the West Indies, in which case she meant "a hafternoon".

2 hours ago, Dave_P said:

I'm moored in the centre of Birmingham at the moment.  You're welcome to come and film my boat.  (She's been on telly before and quite liked it).

Kate - once you've made 5 posts on the forum you can send private messages to other members.  This will help with arranging things.

She already can, I have had one

11 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Sorry I am not interested in someone videoing on my boat, others may be.

well there y'are now!

as frahkn suggests, why reply at all?   

........................ oh!   27k posts and counting.   I see why you bother to post now.    is there a world championship that I haven't heard about?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If only that were true - mind you the way the body is falling apart at the moment another 90 years & I'll be a total wreck.

It looks as if you're lasting better than your boat - judging by the picture, it's fallen in half already.

5 hours ago, Murflynn said:

well there y'are now!

as frahkn suggests, why reply at all?   

........................ oh!   27k posts and counting.   I see why you bother to post now.    is there a world championship that I haven't heard about?

I didn't realise there was a limit on how much a member can post, if I it bothers you why not put me on your ignough list