Buying land for use as mooring and workshops.

IanR

Featured Posts

Has anyone any first hand knowledge of doing this? The land in particular has moorings (four boats) on it already and we would be hoping to move some mobile workshops on site (in the shape of 2 four wheeled 'living vans', possibly until we rebuild a derelict building that is on site. Can I assume that since it has moorings already we'd be able to moor boats there with a change of ownership. Also, none of these moorings, as far as I know, are residential but we'd be wanting one residential as we'd be selling our house to fund it. We probably wouldn't be having any other boats there if we moved there. All at the wish list stage at the moment, but are there any surprises we'd need to look out for?

Many thanks for any input, cheers, Ian.

First hand knowledge of the inconsistencies of C&RT. I had interest in canal off side land for sale. I contacted C&RT asking for advice on the likelihood of getting mooring permission. They replied citing the on line mooring  reduction policy which when applied to this land failed on a couple of points meaning no likelihood of getting the ok to moor boats there. The land was sold and within weeks a boat appeared then another..... now they are building a marina there. Good luck to them, not sure what route they used. So there can be inconsistencies in C&RT’s approach. My advice would be as there are boats there already double check  C&RT know about them and ensure you have it in writing the mooring  right transfer will be honoured by C&RT ( no reason why it shouldn’t ) as to the other parts of the question, more a planning issue with the council. Good luck, most peoples dream. 

7 minutes ago, Yellownev said:

ensure you have it in writing the mooring  right transfer will be honoured by C&RT ( no reason why it shouldn’t )

C&RT do state that EoG mooring rights are not transferable so would need to reapply and hope they don't invoke the 'mooring restrictions' plans.

22 minutes ago, IanR said:

we would be hoping to move some mobile workshops on site (in the shape of 2 four wheeled 'living vans', possibly until we rebuild a derelict building that is on site.

In which case I'd suggest that you need to have some detailed discussions with the LA Planning Department for which you will need DETAILED plans, showing access etc etc.

Workshops will make the land 'Commercial', whilst a house / residential boat will make it 'Residential'.

For a residential boat you will need both C&RT as the land owner (the land under the boat) and the LA 'onside'.

There may be a problem talking to CRT about transfer of mooring rights. We bought a house with an EOG mooring. During the purchase of the house CRT would not formally confirm that the mooring would be accepted as we were not yet the owners of the house, so a Catch 22. In addition there had to be an environmental survey, which could have returned a no verdict. Luckily it didn't.

I suggest you need detailed discussion with the navigation authority before making any moves, but you may have to make your own judgement and take some risk.

31 minutes ago, Yellownev said:

First hand knowledge of the inconsistencies of C&RT. I had interest in canal off side land for sale. I contacted C&RT asking for advice on the likelihood of getting mooring permission. They replied citing the on line mooring  reduction policy which when applied to this land failed on a couple of points meaning no likelihood of getting the ok to moor boats there. 

For those prepared to swallow the ‘official’ line of nonsense over needing CaRT’s chargeable consent, it might be worth pointing out that CaRT are now – since March this year – no longer applying the restriction of their consent to mooring against private land only if it has a residential dwelling on it.

Secondly, single ‘end of garden’ mooring applications will now be considered against privately-owned land, not just that which has a residential dwelling on it.  Permission will only be granted to the landowner and sub-letting the mooring will not be permitted.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news-and-views/news/online-mooring-policy-updated

• Greenie 1

23 minutes ago, NigelMoore said:

Secondly, single ‘end of garden’ mooring applications will now be considered against privately-owned land, not just that which has a residential dwelling on it.  Permission will only be granted to the landowner and sub-letting the mooring will not be permitted.

Weasel words !!

1 hour ago, NigelMoore said:

Permission will only be granted to the landowner and sub-letting the mooring will not be permitted.

That implies that only the landowner's boat can be moored against the property, but if you follow the links to the Application Form, that includes provision for the boatowner to apply for a mooring against someone else's land, as long as evidence of the landowner's consent is provided. 

Left hand and right hand....

Edited by David Mack

6 minutes ago, David Mack said:

That implies that only the landowner's boat can be moored against the property, but if you follow the links to the Application Form, that includes provision for the boatowner to apply for a mooring against someone else's land, as long as evidence of the landowner's consent is provided. 

Left hand and right hand....

New rules from this Summer - no doubt admin has not yet caught up with the paperwork.

3 hours ago, IanR said:

Has anyone any first hand knowledge of doing this? The land in particular has moorings (four boats) on it already and we would be hoping to move some mobile workshops on site (in the shape of 2 four wheeled 'living vans', possibly until we rebuild a derelict building that is on site. Can I assume that since it has moorings already we'd be able to moor boats there with a change of ownership. Also, none of these moorings, as far as I know, are residential but we'd be wanting one residential as we'd be selling our house to fund it. We probably wouldn't be having any other boats there if we moved there. All at the wish list stage at the moment, but are there any surprises we'd need to look out for?

Many thanks for any input, cheers, Ian.

Why not go out for a cruise every weekend and don't go residential, if there is a house there you have an address for mail, just need a post box putting up.

3 hours ago, cuthound said:

Best to approach the navigation authority to find out the answer from the horses mouth.

Don't forget that horses say "neigh" as a matter of course, and insist upon handfuls of straw to change to a nod; it is worth consulting with others 'in the know' such as Nigel. The location of the field can be important too.

Tam

23 minutes ago, Tam & Di said:

Don't forget that horses say "neigh" as a matter of course, and insist upon handfuls of straw to change to a nod; it is worth consulting with others 'in the know' such as Nigel. The location of the field can be important too.

Tam

You have to be persistent. Before bought my canalside house, I wanted to be sure that I could develop an end of garden mooring. The CRT local moorings manager insisted that the mooring application was submitted and paid for by the then owner of the house, which he didn't want to do.

I contacted a director, thus bypassing the moorings manager, and eventually he saw my point and agreed that an application from me, supported by a letter from the then house owner would be satisfactory.

The whole process took 15 weeks, and when I finally got written permission, the environmental survey stipulated I could only remove a conifer hedge before the bird nesting season started, 2 days after I moved in, so the tree surgeons arrived minutes after we moved in!

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

C&RT do state that EoG mooring rights are not transferable so would need to reapply and hope they don't invoke the 'mooring restrictions' plans.

That is C&RT's (and the old BW's) default position, but it has been successfully challenged on numerous occassions.  If the Mooring rights are incorporated into the deeds of the property they are transfrerable to a new owner. I have moored on two sites in the past where that has been the case, and because it is a legal provision rather than an agreed consent, C&RT cannot even charge EOG mooring fees.

• Greenie 2