GUCCCo Ltd stencil for cloths

fittie

Featured Posts

Can't help with a stencil but interested to see what replies you get, as I would like to do the same on our cloths, so sizes would be great!! Depending on the sizes and then the lettering option you are going for, I could make up some stencils we could both use!

Were these stencils sprayed through, or brushed through, or even just used as a template and drawn through, then painted in by hand?

Ian.

9 minutes ago, IanR said:

Can't help with a stencil but interested to see what replies you get, as I would like to do the same on our cloths, so sizes would be great!! Depending on the sizes and then the lettering option you are going for, I could make up some stencils we could both use!

Were these stencils sprayed through, or brushed through, or even just used as a template and drawn through, then painted in by hand?

Ian.

We made one 30 years ago but am afraid it eventually perished.

111 G & S Canal Sharpness 18th August 1990.jpg

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

We made one 30 years ago but am afraid it eventually perished.

111 G & S Canal Sharpness 18th August 1990.jpg

If you are really interested this cloth and sign writing  are still extanct on ‘Coronis’ at the London Canal Museum

Edited by Tim Lewis

1 hour ago, Leo No2 said:

Likewise, I’d also be mot interested for Sculptor, please.

I assume you are aware that the wartime livery has completely different lettering on the top cloths to that of the earlier full liveried Grand Union boats - so the stencil being discussed above for FULBOURNE is not correct for SCULPTOR, unless the livery is being altered to an earlier version.

For the record full liveried Grand Union Boats have G.U.C.C.C. Ltd. on the top cloths and the wartime livery has GRAND UNION CANAL CARRYING Co. Ltd. on the top cloths - along with the fleet number and date of course :captain:

edit = sorry, I see we have already discussed this in October 2015:

Edited by pete harrison

Can't help with GUCC Co stencils, I'm afraid, but this is how I made them for Hampton.

I found that spraying  or painting through a stencil was rather unsatisfactory.  So I made the stencils out of thick card, drew round the outlines in china pencil and then  "coloured them in".

A tip.  Don't use ordinary paint if it's to be applied to vinyl - it'll crack in time.  I used vinyl ink which is specially made for posters etc.  It sort of etches itself onto the surface.

20180322_121931.jpg.ea2a8899a8dc4a5d081a28d732772cee.jpg

P1060995.jpg.88d90db7c244b1548dfb916f88d061e8.jpg

20180325_120321.jpg.f2e7064a27f947c5571bff265fbd9a62.jpg

• Greenie 1

I have been trawling through books looking at pictures of Grand Union boats trying to find out what is written under the G.U.C.C.Co.Ltd (kind of thing but with the td in line with the top of the L) 

Back to my trawling, and I found a really good picture in a book, Canal Recollections, Julian Holland. 1998. Parkgate Books, page 32 and using a lens it reads (top line) HATTON&Co. (middle) MAKERS (bottom line) UXBRIDGE.

This picture is also in the George & Mary but rather under exposed so not able to read it. Page 19 (old copy)

Does anyone know of any other good images of pre war cloths on boats that can be read.

Another, interesting, thing is on one cloth it as Ltd. and on another it has Ltd without the stop. Just goes to show that at the time there were variations as to what and how information was written.

Does anyone know what type face (fount) it is and size.