Glory hole

Scott wragg

Featured Posts

25 minutes ago, Scott wragg said:

Hi new to forum . I have a seamaster 30 and was wondering if anyone had ever been through the glory Hole on one as I'm worried about air draft 

I believe their are two different height wheel house on the seamaster 30?

It depends what engine's were fitted, one had a lower floor which resulted in a lower airdraft, it also depends on the water level, recently as the 'pool' overflowed you may have struggled to get thru with a canoe.

Water levels are still high in the area so it may not currently be possible.

Have you measured your airdraft ?
What is it ?

The quoted headroom for the Glory Hole is 9' 2" (at 'normal' water levels)

The airdraft normally quoted for the Seamaster 30 is 9'3"

I'd suggest that you need to accurately measure your boat airdraft and if you feel it is OK go at CREEPING speed and try it and see.

I have heard of Seamaster 30s that can scrape thru (literally) and those that don't and smash their glass.

Edit to add :
If you have the 'mast' with mast head lights, then the answer is almost certainly NO (even folded)

(20) Seamaster 30 - Broadland Yacht Brokers
Edited by Alan de Enfield

The 'other' issue is that the Glory hole is an arched bridge so it is not at it maximum height all of the way across the width.

The Seamaster is 12' beam and will take up much of the available width you may find that you are clear in the centre, but will hit the corners of the roof on the arch.

Their is not a huge amount to spare when we went thru in a Narrowboat (7 foot beam).

From memory the maximum width of the Glory Hole is 15 foot.

IMG_20140428_124317.jpg

42 minutes ago, Scott wragg said:

That's great Alan Thank you 

I'm 9ft with a full tank of fuel and water so I was worried about the edges . I think I might moor this side of the hole 

Probably for the best.

Don't moor in the 'approach' as no one will get past you.

You will need to moor up at the 'far end' (as you come in off the Foss Dyke) There are visitors moorings but they are controlled by the Brayford Trust, so you'll need to find someone to pay. (Unless it has changed recently)

The cruiser moorings are just to the east of the Bridge on the south side of the water opposite the Sea Cadets HQ.

Edit :

Just a thought 

Which side of the hole are you approaching from ? (Boston or Saxilby)

Obviously if approaching from Boston side you can moor up on Waterside (just before the Glory Hole.

43 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Which side of the hole are you approaching from ? (Boston or Saxilby)

If coming from the Boston side, the OP will be against the current, so can do a nice slow controlled approach to the arch to see if the boat is going to fit and escape easily if it is looking unlikely. Approach from the Saxilby side is with the current, so more care needed if he wants to try it.

Jen

2 minutes ago, davidb said:

We went through OK with our 13' 6" beam barge in 2012 : http://toggenberg.co.uk/Inland_Trips/2012/Lincoln/lincoln.html

it is impossible to judge from the towpath what the internal dimensions are

The 'usable' bridge internal dimensions are dependent upon the boat dimensions.

A 14 foot beam boat will get thru quite happily if its airdraft is (say) 7 foot.

A 7 foot beam boat will get thru quite happily is its airdraft is (say) 9 feet.

My boat is 14 foot beam by 10' 6" airdraft - I have no chance (not that I can get there anyway as the Fossditch is too silted up for my 4' 6" water draft.

I feel  sure the lowest bridge is Thorn Bridge which carries Broadgate over the River Witham.

Headroom 9ft.

But also Stamp End lock is a guillotine and there is a pipe bridge over the river, both of similar height.

Approaching from Brayford Pool, Wigford Way Bridge is lower than High Bridge.

So whichever way you approach you have to pass under lower bridges first. 

The ancient arched structure of High Bridge (The Glory Hole)  is , however , the greater restriction on beam. But some quite beamy cruisers have been through there.

Edited by MartynG

I went through it with my 12 foot wide widebeam with wheelhouse, the wheelhouse is over 10 foot wide and had about half an inch to spare each side! it was most certainly bum twitching time! we had 4 people on the roof to keep it straight, walker it through literally

• Happy 1