reflek fire

haza

Featured Posts

hi every one merry xmas to u all, well having sorted my relfek fire  pot and regulator  out, thanks to the guy from lockgate ..i have had it running non stop now for  abt 6 weeks 24/7 only turning off once a week for a couple of  hours  to clean it ,and i have to say  i have  not a problem with it ,up too yet touch wood ...and as i have tried to gauge how much derv its using ..i would guess it abt 3 gallon a week ,which in my mind is nothing saying its being used 24/7 compared to the logs and coal i use to use. the great  thing  abt it. now dust now mess and all the other things that come with coal burner .the only down side to it is i do miss the look of my old coal fire ,,having said that thumbs up for the reflek 

I have to say a massive congratulations for getting someone from lockgate to communicate. If you have a secret number, or separate email address from the on we have given up trying to contact them on, it would be thankfully received, as going to Europe for parts or whole stoves is !quite! expensive.

Thanks, received, we have lots of people wanting diesel stoves, and others wanting spares, nobody has any joy....I will try the number you sent me , thanks.

The other supplier(who are excellent in support and contact/delivery) are Toplicht, unfortunately they are in Europe, so more expensive, but seem happy to do business and not hide away.

7 minutes ago, matty40s said:

The other supplier(who are excellent in support and contact/delivery) are Toplicht, unfortunately they are in Europe, so more expensive, but seem happy to do business and not hide away.

If you think it's expensive now, just wait 'till Brexit.

MP.

11 hours ago, haza said:

hi every one merry xmas to u all, well having sorted my relfek fire  pot and regulator  out, thanks to the guy from lockgate ..i have had it running non stop now for  abt 6 weeks 24/7 only turning off once a week for a couple of  hours  to clean it ,and i have to say  i have  not a problem with it ,up too yet touch wood ...and as i have tried to gauge how much derv its using ..i would guess it abt 3 gallon a week ,which in my mind is nothing saying its being used 24/7 compared to the logs and coal i use to use. the great  thing  abt it. now dust now mess and all the other things that come with coal burner .the only down side to it is i do miss the look of my old coal fire ,,having said that thumbs up for the reflek 

This is interesting to read. We have not had cause to light our yet but probably will do so when we are next on the boat. I did wonder how much fuel they use and it's good to know they are not too thirsty

12 hours ago, matty40s said:

Thanks, received, we have lots of people wanting diesel stoves, and others wanting spares, nobody has any joy....I will try the number you sent me , thanks.

I believe Hartlepool Marine Supplies sells Refleks stoves. May be worth giving them a call.

Edited by monkeyhanger

7 hours ago, cheshire~rose said:

This is interesting to read. We have not had cause to light our yet but probably will do so when we are next on the boat. I did wonder how much fuel they use and it's good to know they are not too thirsty

Typically, on the lowest setting for my Bubble stove, equating to 1 kw., the Oil Control Valve dispenses 4cc per min. (The output is stamped on the OCV.) That is 4cc for every minute of every hour of every day of every week whilst it is running. All vaporisers are roughly the same.

4cc/min = 240cc per hour, say 250cc so = 1 litre every 4 hours, or 6 lts per day. 3 gallon is 13 1/2 litres, so I can only assume the fire is not left on for long if that is the weekly consumption. 2 litres a day will give 8hours of usage.

31 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

Typically, on the lowest setting for my Bubble stove, equating to 1 kw., the Oil Control Valve dispenses 4cc per min. (The output is stamped on the OCV.) That is 4cc for every minute of every hour of every day of every week whilst it is running. All vaporisers are roughly the same.

4cc/min = 240cc per hour, say 250cc so = 1 litre every 4 hours, or 6 lts per day. 3 gallon is 13 1/2 litres, so I can only assume the fire is not left on for long if that is the weekly consumption. 2 litres a day will give 8hours of usage.

I agree, my Kabola Old Dutch 4kW uses about 40 litres a week if left on 24/7 on its lowest setting.

hi well my fire as been on for abt 6 weeks 24/7 why would i say that if it where not so ,its only my assumption that i am using abt 3 gallon it could be more it could be less .,i have not gone into as much details as your self im to busy watching paint dry ..but i take on board what you say ...as i would i do live on a boat ...i am just amazed how much it as used i am well chuffed i thought it would have been a lot more then that ..going by all the stories you here abt such sytems thanks 

so thats abt two gerry cans ,my fire is mostly on the lower setting ..i may turn it up high 1st thing ..or when colder ..but if some one is  suggesting i   me i am using 10 gallon a week then im afraid thats a no no ..

My reflex uses about 30 ltrs a week  ( 24/7 ) on various settings mainly low , I have a dedicated 136 ltr ( 30 gallons ) tank so I can go 4 weeks in between fill up , defiantly one of the best things We did having one fitted 

IMG_3255.JPG

hi luggsy your fire looks loverly a lot like mine but with out the rads ..and like you i love mine too ..but i am at odds with this tho  there is now way i am using 10 gallons a week ,,i will gauge again over the next couple of weeks ...certainly a jerry can hold nearly 5 gallon ,,and when i need to fill them i never fill them up maybe just put in just over 4 gallon .and that last s a week ..or it could be i got my maths wrong ,,not one of my strong subjects ,,nor is spelling. or   english but hey im warm lol

45 minutes ago, haza said:

hi luggsy your fire looks loverly a lot like mine but with out the rads ..and like you i love mine too ..but i am at odds with this tho  there is now way i am using 10 gallons a week ,,i will gauge again over the next couple of weeks ...certainly a jerry can hold nearly 5 gallon ,,and when i need to fill them i never fill them up maybe just put in just over 4 gallon .and that last s a week ..or it could be i got my maths wrong ,,not one of my strong subjects ,,nor is spelling. or   english but hey im warm lol

My Dickinson on low fire 24 hrs a day uses about a gallon a day, cant say exactly as it shares the engine fuel tank

Haza,

If it costs £30 per week at 24/7 use, how many bags of coal would that buy? I reckon you'd be hard put to make much saving. For the convenience, cleanliness and consistent heat, I reckon it's very good value. I put the Bubble in 20 years ago, and in that time, the price of fuel has probably trebled, but that and solar panels transformed my boating.

I'm not poo-pooing your statements, just tempering your enthusiasm a little, and if it works out a bit more expensive than you think, you'll know what the rest of us think.

my enthusiasm dont need tempering ex.and i dont care in any way what the rest think ..i dont want that to sound nasty in any way ..its not ment too.but i can only say it how it is really .i just thought id put it out there .it as nothing to do with cost at all. was just amazed how much derv i am using .as for years i was told by boaters ..boaters who have been doing boating far longer then myself  ,telling me you dont want a derv fire ..if i knew what i know now i would have done this from day one ..each to there own ..so i will leave this now ..and wish you all merry xmas.just to say if any one is coming  up the wyley and essinton in the next few weeks theres  afair amount of  logs here pm if interested regards

• Greenie 1

On our previous shareboat we used to burn 2 and a half bags of Taybrite or Excel a week at £10-12 per bag if left on 24/7. A maximum of about £30 a week at up to £12 per bag, .

The diesel drip stove has a dedicated 60 litre tank and uses about 40 litres of red diesel a week If used 24/7, say £30 a week at £0.75 ppl.

To the people using their diesel stoves 24/7, aren't you concerned about the flame blowing out (it has happened to mine twice) and covering your floor in diesel overnight, or do you have some safety cut off device? (eta: I notice the photo above has a drip tray. perhaps I should install one...)

My Refleks uses less that 30 litres a week but I don't have it on at night because of the point above. However, because I need to put it on maximum heat for 3 hours every morning, it probably uses about the same as leaving it on near minimum 24/7. I have also adjusted mine so that the minimum setting is quite a bit lower than it was when I bought the boat.

Edited by eid

30 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Surly the diesel cuts off before it can overflow on the floor, my Dickinson does, and by re adjusting the minimum burn, two point, it could be why it blows out and are you sure the flame is burning at the correct height in the burner pot

Mine doesn't cut off. I don't know if there's something wrong with it?

I am aware that having a lower minimum flame makes it easier to blow out (actually I think it goes out because the air flow is halted by down drafts, starving it of oxygen), but the lower flame suits my needs more.

The flame is burning where it should, I'm sure.

Edited by eid

i do use red diesel ,,and like i said this post was not abt how much it costs too run .it was more abt how much derv .sorry red diesel i use ..and as for blowing out this as never happened yet .maybe just been lucky that its not ..or maybe you lot have some other reason why it as not ...

and i have just been informed ,,abt the blowing out of this make of fire ..there is some kind of nipple or could that be a thermo thing ,,any way i was told if that is not hot and goes cold it cuts of the diesel supply ...? or maybe i got that one wrong 

2 hours ago, eid said:

Mine doesn't cut off. I don't know if there's something wrong with it?

I am aware that having a lower minimum flame makes it easier to blow out (actually I think it goes out because the air flow is halted by down drafts, starving it of oxygen), but the lower flame suits my needs more.

The flame is burning where it should, I'm sure.

It should do. There should be a thermocouple, which shuts off the oil if there isn't a flame playing on it. 

When you light the stove there should be a manual override on the thermocouple which you have to hold in for a minute after lighting the oil, until the flames heat the thermocouple up enogh for it to allow the oil to flow into the stove.

I would change the thermocouple ASAP. It is an easy job and universal thermocouples are available from Screwfix (but might need cooling up to reduce the length to what your stove needs).

16 minutes ago, cuthound said:

It should do. There should be a thermocouple, which shuts off the oil if there isn't a flame playing on it. 

When you light the stove there should be a manual override on the thermocouple which you have to hold in for a minute after lighting the oil, until the flames heat the thermocouple up enogh for it to allow the oil to flow into the stove.

I would change the thermocouple ASAP. It is an easy job and universal thermocouples are available from Screwfix (but might need cooling up to reduce the length to what your stove needs).

There is no such thing on my stove. There is a float inside the regulator but I'm not sure if it's meant to stop the fuel flow when the flame goes out. It's shown in pictures in this thread.