Winter Moorings Watch....

matty40s

Featured Posts

47 minutes ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

Bucking the trend somewhat I like the idea of winter moorings. I like to go away for a couple of months in darkest winter. At CRT's cheapest rate it works out at £135 for 2 months for my 35ft boat.. All the local marinas charge around twice this much.

You would be happy leaving your boat on a towpath for 2 months with no supervision???

25 minutes ago, jeanb said:

That's a nice pic Matty40s, looks like heading into Brinklow Marina, mentioned lately on the Forum.

Yes , thankyou, it is, the light was lovely.

Some do, some book them not realising the moorings aren't managed , supervised, or even safe. 

I remember a couple of years ago a boat was booked onto Barrow-on Soar Winter Moorings at very short notice as Pillocks Lock Marina had double booked their moorings and there was nowhere else to go as the family had obligations elsewhere. The moorings were on the canalised navigation, however, it was still subject to the extremes of the river coupled with broken sluices. It sank, as securely moored with a 3 foot rise in levels were not compatible. 

Nowhere on CRT Winter Moorings booking site for this location was it stated that water levels may change.

31 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I imagine there are plenty of people with permanent moorings on the towpath (or other accessible locations) who do just that.

My impression is that at most permanent moorings on the towpath there is a community and people know each other and presumably look after each other's boats. A bit harder (but certainly not impossible) to find this at a winter mooring. I would be happy leaving my boat for a while depending on the location and on having nice neighbours etc. Certainly not anywhere near a major river. Even the Oxford canal can be overflown by the Cherwell in places...

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, matty40s said:

Sorry, you just put too much water in the river this year.

We've been cold this year without your eco fan keeping us warm.?

It has been bad this year, the water was right over a couple of weeks ago here, the grass next to my boat disappeared and th actual towpath was under threat at one point.