Winter Moorings Watch....

matty40s

Featured Posts

Just now, TheBiscuits said:

Speed up! :D

it was quite foggy....someone picking up a boat after work called Saturday morning and said they would have to cancel as it was dangerous.....when told it was lovely and sunny ...all of 10 miles away - changed their minds and took boat.

24 minutes ago, matty40s said:

That's cos you keep sinking them....

Its a Soar point.

To be fair it is crap to offer winter moorings in a spot where there is a danger of flooding, you would expect it to be safe for the money they charge. 

35 minutes ago, Rickent said:

To be fair it is crap to offer winter moorings in a spot where there is a danger of flooding, you would expect it to be safe for the money they charge. 

I did point this out to CRT at one of the user group meetings I went to and suggested that a better place would be on the canal bank in Loughborough. Obviously my local knowledge was ignored.

1 minute ago, Richard T said:

I did point this out to CRT at one of the user group meetings I went to and suggested that a better place would be on the canal bank in Loughborough. Obviously my local knowledge was ignored.

Your local knowledge interferes with the fishing competitions Richard.

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

Well I only saw one boat moving between Whilton and Central Milton Keynes, on a stunning day.

They're all queuing for the services in Nantwich. A bit of cat-ice on the cut this morning has spooked everyone, and they're all keen that Everything That Should Be Full is full, and Everything That Should Be Empty is empty, before we all get frozen in.

MP.

10 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

They're all queuing for the services in Nantwich. A bit of cat-ice on the cut this morning has spooked everyone, and they're all keen that Everything That Should Be Full is full, and Everything That Should Be Empty is empty, before we all get frozen in.

MP.

We were surrounded by cat ice this morning but the bit round our boat was the only bit I saw , a 50 yard stretch at the most

DSCF3100small.jpg

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

We were surrounded by cat ice this morning but the bit round our boat was the only bit I saw , a 50 yard stretch at the most

DSCF3100small.jpg

It was all well broken up around here, apart from in the winding hole at Henhull. We used that, and it's well broken up too, now.

MP.

Hillmorton rugby has 8 boats currently sat around the water points below the locks on the signed moorings, with room for maybe 2 more. 

Possibly high uptake as it is the nearest moorings to DIRFT at Junc 18 Crick.

The areas above and below the locks are becoming dominated by the new roads and housing developments ....sleepy village at the bottom of Rugby no more.

Edited by matty40s

The single boat length of winter mooring on the Aldermaston service block is empty despite being almost the only one on the K&A worth paying for (although it is an extremely annoying mooring place for any other boat trying to use the swing bridge solo handed or access the service block!). Also amazed to see that the WMs above woolhampton lock not only include all the visitor moorings but half are on the unimproved and shallow bank...yet charged the same rate as those on the deep VMs with rings!! I would be seriously annoyed to arrive and find my WM was on a crumbling overgrown and shallow bank needing a long plank and the boat leaning or grating on the gravel bed every time the lock was filled! I can't wait until winter moorings are finally dead in the water! I just don't get the point. If you can manage a boat in the spring/autumn what stops you managing it in the winter. CRT are perfectly understanding if weather conditions make moving unwise.

On 03/12/2019 at 09:45, sirweste said:

Thanks for your useful answer. It has come up with the following results:

First result:

noun

noun: cat ice, thin ice from under which the water has receded.

So that doesn't answer the question

The second and third results give a similar answer to the first also not answering my original question.

So it seems that when we talk about cat ice on the canals we are not actually talking about cat ice (thin ice from under which thee water has receded) but about very thin ice that isn't actually cat ice.

Also if everyone who asked a question on here asked google instead then this forum would be a boring place!

• Greenie 1