Winter Moorings Watch....

matty40s

Featured Posts

With the prices having risen again this year for the privelidge of being able to tie up with no facilities and evade the checkers, it is interesting to see how the uptake is as a snapshot.

All locations may have boats moored that are only there for 2 weeks.

Weedon has 2 boats on approx 250 yards. 5 other boats next to moorings.

Stowe Hill has 2 on 250 yards, one of which has taken that mooring for the past 5 years. 5 other boats either side of mooring.

Stoke Bruerne has zero boats, the winter moorings stretch most of the long pound. There were 2 boats past the museum, one in the long pound near lock 10, and one below locks. 

Grafton Regis has 2 boats , 3 others near bridge.

Just because...

20191202_083206.jpg

33 minutes ago, matty40s said:

With the prices having risen again this year for the privelidge of being able to tie up with no facilities and evade the checkers, it is interesting to see how the uptake is as a snapshot.

Stowe Hill has 2 on 250 yards, one of which has taken that mooring for the past 5 years. 5 other boats either side of mooring.

Stoke Bruerne has zero boats, the winter moorings stretch most of the long pound. There were 2 boats past the museum, one in the long pound near lock 10, and one below locks. 

Just because...

20191202_083206.jpg

Lovely photo is that one, great light!

56 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Just because...

20191202_083206.jpg

Nice to see a boat with a clear roof,  whos is it? ?

Difficult to say how many at Beeston are occupied as Winter Moorings as a lot of boats waiting for river levels to drop and Cranfleet Flood Gates to be opened.

Looking at the list of Winter Moorings it's almost as if they are selected so that CRT can stop them due to lack of take-up.

Alrewas one boat and Fazeley one boat.
Do CRT  purposely put them in unuseful places. The Fazeley one if you want water you have to go an hour and a quarter north, wind and then an hour and a half south. Had they been between the winding holes it  would made much more sense. The one at Alrewas is above Bagnal lock so its to Fradley  up three locks wind and return. If they had have been below the locks then they could use the waterpoints in Alrewas. 

The year before last Rugeley had them north of the aqueduct, mile out of town and Gt Haywood being the nearest water point

DSCF3110small.jpg

Edited by ditchcrawler
Photo Alweras added
  • Greenie 1

At Stanstead Abbotts there are three boats displaying Winter Mooring permits ,all running through to mid March .The rest of the winter mooring there is pretty much full with Continuous Cruisers. CRT do weekly data collection on the upper Lee ,and there is a good turnover of CCers at this popular spot.

3 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Do CRT  purposely put them in unuseful places.

Funny you should say that, the Milton Keynes one (250 yards on the inside of a bend) is virtually empty but there must be 40 boats either side and on the Parks moorings opposite.

It doesn't help that the towpath where the WM are is actually underwater for virtually the whole stretch.

20191202_141522.jpg

20191202_141703.jpg

I'm right in thinking that the WM are intended to give priority for the privileged whom have paid a bribe to ignore the law for a period, but that doesn't stop anyone else mooring there if they are vacant? 

As I often moor up at a WM for a couple of weeks if there's space.

2 minutes ago, sirweste said:

I'm right in thinking that the WM are intended to give priority for the privileged whom have paid a bribe to ignore the law for a period, but that doesn't stop anyone else mooring there if they are vacant? 

Indeed, which is why I said in the first post that they few boats that were on them hadn't necessarily paid for them and might only be there for a short time.

4 minutes ago, sirweste said:

Yes, but if you have to cruise for 3 hours to fill with water you may just as well keep CCing unless you cart cans of water in the boot of the car every couple of days and don't move all winter

8 minutes ago, sirweste said:

You are right yes. However if you have moored there without a winter mooring permit and someone with said permit turns up wanting to moor you are expected to move.

2 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

You are right yes. However if you have moored there without a winter mooring permit and someone with said permit turns up wanting to moor you are expected to move.

This is the bit that always seems interesting. If someone rocks up and legaly parks there for the allowed length of time and leaves his boat to go visiting or whatever and then someone rocks up with a permit, who moves the boat and where do they put it?

One would assume that they have to wait until you move off. I assume their permit only gives them a space if there is space. So technically they could have to wait a little way off the moorings until a CCer moves off.

But I can't imagine it happening like that in reality as the WMer will almost certainly feel entitled to "their" spot

• Greenie 1

Just now, sirweste said:

One would assume that they have to wait until you move off. I assume their permit only gives them a space if there is space. So technically they could have to wait a little way off the moorings until a CCer moves off.

But I can't imagine it happening like that in reality as the WMer will almost certainly feel entitled to "their" spot

So would I if I had paid all that money for it

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

This is the bit that always seems interesting. If someone rocks up and legaly parks there for the allowed length of time and leaves his boat to go visiting or whatever and then someone rocks up with a permit, who moves the boat and where do they put it?

Yes, I wondered that too.

47 minutes ago, sirweste said:

This is taken from the CRT Winter Mooring FAQ page on the web site:

I don’t have a winter mooring. Will I be able to moor at a winter mooring site if there is space?

If there is available space at a winter mooring site, visitors may use the mooring.While our winter mooring signage reads that sites are ‘permit holderpriority’, we are taking a flexible approach and will allow visitors to moor there for the standard time period if there are spaces on the sites. If a permit-holder arrives at the site, they will have priority, and those not in possession of a winter mooring permit must be prepared to move off the site right away.

5 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

This is taken from the CRT Winter Mooring FAQ page on the web site:

I don’t have a winter mooring. Will I be able to moor at a winter mooring site if there is space?

If there is available space at a winter mooring site, visitors may use the mooring.While our winter mooring signage reads that sites are ‘permit holderpriority’, we are taking a flexible approach and will allow visitors to moor there for the standard time period if there are spaces on the sites. If a permit-holder arrives at the site, they will have priority, and those not in possession of a winter mooring permit must be prepared to move off the site right away.

bonkers isnt it.

7 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

. If a permit-holder arrives at the site, they will have priority, and those not in possession of a winter mooring permit must be prepared to move off the site right away.

"Oh hello, this is John from the Winter Moorings team, your boat appears to be moored on the clearly signed (if they havnt blown away) Winter Moorings at Nether Shylock, please could you move your boat as a genuine Winter Moorer has said you are moored in his space."

"Hi, oh, I only moored there yesterday and there were at least 200 yards of free moorings there, I am now in Tenerife until...err..two weeks time so will be moving on then."

"Is there no chance you can move it sooner as the chap says the only spot on the Nether Shylock moorings where he can get solar charge is the one where your boat is - so its his mooring, other boaters may be on the way to the other 200 yards"