Blacking

Featured Posts

Does anyone know somewhere in the Midlands where I can black my own boat and replace the anodes? I can't find a dry dock or a lift-out where they will let DIY work be done.

We are moored at Tamworth on the Coventry Canal, but happy to cruise a few days to find the right place. Any ideas? Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Paul Ches said:

Thanks David. Living aboard while out of water would be helpful. Happy to take a few days to get down to Aylesbury. Will have a chat with them. Thanks very much. Paul.

UCC have always alowed me to live on the boat whilst it was in the dry dock.

Edited by David Schweizer

Nip up the Erewash to langley mill. Dan and Vikki will look after you. Brilliant, wide,  clean dock. Live aboard welcomed. DIY if you want. Best prices anywhere on the system.

Wrong time of year to black your boat now though.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Nip up the Erewash to langley mill. Dan and Vikki will look after you. Brilliant, wide,  clean dock. Live aboard welcomed. DIY if you want. Best prices anywhere on the system.

Wrong time of year to black your boat now though.

I would’nt black at this time of year. Just my preference. They did Nightwatch in April this year. A good price and allowed me to get on with other things. Dan is an excellent welder and Vikki is an equally excellent blacker. As a result of docking with them in April and asking questions like, “can you do this.” and “can you do that?” We ended up going back there in late a July for lots of necessary repairs to be done. Bloomin’ good rates as well.

The Erewash, once you get to know it, is a pleasant Canal.

Funnily enough, I had a PM this morning asking how I got on with them. They want some woodwork done.

Dan, he doesn’t like to brag about it, relocates major theatre shows in this country as well as occasionally, all over the world. 

Edited by Nightwatch

6 minutes ago, Rugbyman said:

+

Shobnall Marina at Burton on Trent. Always very helpful

Is the blacking dock part of Shobnall ?

When we bought a boat at Shobnall I asked about having it blacked and they said we would have to contact Burton Boat Co (01283 539168) as they were responsible for the dry-dock not the marina. Maybe it has changed ?

They had a 9 month waiting list so we didn't bother, set off and got stuck in the floods at Sawley for 2 weeks.

Sileby Mill on the Soar allow do it yourself blacking and live aboard while you do it. Its a slipway that goes into a covered shed. Best let them do the pressure washing as they have an industrial unit which really gets the crap off of boats.