Mooring in Birmingham

sw419

Featured Posts

27 minutes ago, sw419 said:

Any reasons why? We haven't had chance to go and explore around town yet so have very limited knowledge, sorry! 

Not then best area, ok for overnight.  You should go look and make your own mind up.  For full services you will need to go into the centre of Birmingham.

16 hours ago, sw419 said:

Thanks for the suggestions all. 

This will be our first winter on the boat, have a few jobs to do on it before we can CC, mainly an upgrade to the electrical system. 

I've just seen that there are winter moorings at Bourneville Lane, which could be good to allow us to get the work done. Does anyone know if there are any facilities there (water/electric)? What do you get for your money? 

Have contacted Lyon's, this looks ideal for us, so will see how that goes. Will also see what Lady Lane say, as we can also make that work location wise. 

There are no CRT winter moorings with electric hookup.  The only thing you'll get at Bournville is a fence and a locked gate.  I'll say again that I'd go for Kingswood Basin over Lady Lane or Lyons for the reasons I gave earlier. 

3 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

The only thing you'll get at Bournville is a fence and a locked gate.  

Are those moorings opposite Cadbury's up as winter moorings now?  Hard enough to get on there when they're 48hrs, but they're a really valuable lily pad when winter cruising and the weather is iffy.  Sad to lose even the smallest chance of a gated stopover at that location. :(

8 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Are those moorings opposite Cadbury's up as winter moorings now?  Hard enough to get on there when they're 48hrs, but they're a really valuable lily pad when winter cruising and the weather is iffy.  Sad to lose even the smallest chance of a gated stopover at that location. :(

Looks like it.  80 metres long it says.  I wouldn't think the whole locked visitor mooring is that length.  I can't see the winter mooring being on the railway side though?image.png.9e16af97babef06a590912092d19883c.png

image.png.1fc6fee319b9c681e26fc169eaf7c47f.pngT

This estimates the length of the locked bit at 57 metres.  So either CRT have their figures wrong again or some of the designated winter mooring is outside the gates.  In any case, mooring for the winter there would be a terrible idea even if the mooring was free.. That CRT have the temerity to charge for it is ridiculous.

50 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

There are no CRT winter moorings with electric hookup.

There are a few dotted around.

I know that those at Newark have electric hook up and water.

Rate £6.90/metre/month (electricity extra on a 'pre-paid card')

Water also on the pontoon

Pump-Out 1 mile downstream at the marina.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

15 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Sorry, I wrote that wrong.  I meant in the Birmingham area.

Edited by doratheexplorer

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Always thought that was a ridiculously cheap.

39 minutes ago, rustynewbery said:

The Tat Bank arm by the Titford pumphouse does have electric hook up, but as said, the Crow flight gets in the way- and the BCNS had their chuck wagon stolen a few years ago.

but there are no official visitor moorings there. And, to be fair, the chuck wagon was stolen from the site of the Bonfire Rally, not the Pumphouse.

• Greenie 1

42 minutes ago, pearley said:

Always thought that was a ridiculously cheap.

but there are no official visitor moorings there. And, to be fair, the chuck wagon was stolen from the site of the Bonfire Rally, not the Pumphouse.

There is a general history of break-ins at the site though.  From the end of the arm, near the road.

27 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

There is a general history of break-ins at the site though.  From the end of the arm, near the road.

Last time we were there Phil and his mates had put some security fencing up at that end and removed the short bit of pontoon that was across the water.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, rustynewbery said:

The Tat Bank arm by the Titford pumphouse does have electric hook up, but as said, the Crow flight gets in the way- and the BCNS had their chuck wagon stolen a few years ago.

That wasnt from their compound if I remember correctly but by the Engine Arm