Mooring in Birmingham

sw419

Featured Posts

We don't necessarily need to be right in the centre of town. I have checked out the crt moorings and there aren't any available at Gas Street. Does anyone know how often crt moorings do become available? 

Hoping someone had some intel on other marinas that I wouldn't know? 

There are lots of mooring choices available, but you haven't said what sort of mooring you want.  What's important to you?  Parking?  Quietness? Price? Facilities?  Storage space?  Nearby pub? Would you rather be nearer Birmingham or Solihull?

3 hours ago, tree monkey said:

Engine arm

This would be at the very very bottom of my list.

34 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Isn't there some long term moorings at cuckoo warf?

Joint bottom with the Engine Arm!!!  Why moor at either of these when there are some lovely places to moor in the area?

35 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Isn't there some long term moorings at cuckoo warf?

There are 3 residential moorings at Cuckoo.

5 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

Sherborne Wharf?

Not sure there's any parking there now with the new development going on.

There's also The Pumphouse at Titford/Oldbury. Bus at end of road. M5 10 minutes away.

Having a car in Central Birmingham is becoming a liability. Most of the 'free' parking has become residents only Monday - Saturday.

As far as I know Sherborne Wharf doesn't have any parking now, although it was expensive when I moored there, it included parking, so worked out cheaper in the long run. Now when I moor in Brum, I tend to park overnight by the Flapper and leave the car at my mom's at weekends and use the train.

If you can commute via public transport, there's Copt Heath Wharf, and Knowle Hall Wharf, both near Knowle, Nearest train station is Dorridge which would get you to Solihull and Birmingham.

14 minutes ago, pearley said:

There are 3 residential moorings at Cuckoo.

Not sure there's any parking there now with the new development going on.

There's also The Pumphouse at Titford/Oldbury. Bus at end of road. M5 10 minutes away.

There seems to always be moorings available at Cuckoo Wharf because no bugger would want to live there.

No parking anymore at Sherborne afaik.

There is a mooring at the Pumphouse available now.  It's not a great area though and very cut off from the network if you like to cruise regularly.  It's also a leisure mooring, which could be an issue for the OP.

There are a few moorings available at Kingswood Basin which is pretty close to solihull and train into Brum.  Stupidly expensive though, which I suppose is why there's always vacancies there.  Also only a leisure mooring.

If I was the OP I would CC.  The areas around Birmingham and Solihull are probably the best in the country for CCing.  It's even possible to do it all on one pound.

7 minutes ago, p6rob said:

Having a car in Central Birmingham is becoming a liability. Most of the 'free' parking has become residents only Monday - Saturday.

As far as I know Sherborne Wharf doesn't have any parking now, although it was expensive when I moored there, it included parking, so worked out cheaper in the long run. Now when I moor in Brum, I tend to park overnight by the Flapper and leave the car at my mom's at weekends and use the train.

If you can commute via public transport, there's Copt Heath Wharf, and Knowle Hall Wharf, both near Knowle, Nearest train station is Dorridge which would get you to Solihull and Birmingham.

You're right about car parking.  They've really tightened up.  It's gonna get worse for us with older cars too, with the clean air zone coming.  I'm not saying where I park when I moor in Brum.  It's one of the very few places left, and I don't want the secret to get out!!!

Edited by doratheexplorer

Agree about the CCing. Public transport around Birmingham pretty good so could dump the car.

Yes, Pumphouse only leisure but at least one permanent liveaboard there (who has the best mooring!) There were 3 last time we were there, iced in!

2 minutes ago, pearley said:

Agree about the CCing. Public transport around Birmingham pretty good so could dump the car.

Yes, Pumphouse only leisure but at least one permanent liveaboard there (who has the best mooring!) There were 3 last time we were there, iced in!

Keep your head down and you'll probably be ok but I don't suppose you'll be able to receive post etc.  But the Pumphouse is really in a desolate no-mans land.  Anywhere you want to cruise is down a flight of locks.  The area has very little to recommend it for living.  The plus points is that there's a train station close by and I hear that the New Cottage does a decent curry, although I don't know that I'd feel safe walking to either in the dark.  For £2000 a year saving I'd rather CC and stay for 2 weeks at a time in nicer places. 

26 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

There are lots of mooring choices available, but you haven't said what sort of mooring you want.  What's important to you?  Parking?  Quietness? Price? Facilities?  Storage space?  Nearby pub? Would you rather be nearer Birmingham or Solihull?

This would be at the very very bottom of my list.

Joint bottom with the Engine Arm!!!  Why moor at either of these when there are some lovely places to moor in the area?

Engine arm is not that bad, completely agree about cuckoo warf, it's close to my office base and I often drive over the bridge and wonder why anyone would want to be there, but then I bloody dislike city's and love my rural mooring spot

8 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Engine arm is not that bad, completely agree about cuckoo warf, it's close to my office base and I often drive over the bridge and wonder why anyone would want to be there, but then I bloody dislike city's and love my rural mooring spot

The moorings are ok in that the facilities are quite good and you get a linear mooring.  But the area is bad and I've heard about regular break-ins to the moorings.  Maybe that's been addressed, I'm not sure, but I don't think I'd feel safe there.

If I was the OP and I wasn't keen on CCing, I'd take one of the Kingswood Basin moorings and suck up the high mooring fee.  The area is lovely.  Lapworth is a nice village with very good transport links into Solihull and Birmingham by road and rail.  4(?) pubs within walking distance too! Nice cruising options too.

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

Are there still  moorings at Lyons Boatyard on the North Stratford? 

I suspect as others have said you need to be looking outside Brum and both travelling in.

Yes there are, and at Lady Lane, Swallow Cruisers etc.  Lot's of choice along the North Stratford.  The issue with private moorings like that is how they'd feel about liveaboards?  It's easier to keep your head down at a CRT mooring.

7 hours ago, sw419 said:

We don't necessarily need to be right in the centre of town. I have checked out the crt moorings and there aren't any available at Gas Street. Does anyone know how often crt moorings do become available? 

Hoping someone had some intel on other marinas that I wouldn't know? 

Let us know the marinas etc. you have contacted, then we might be able to suggest ones you don't know

Thanks for the suggestions all. 

This will be our first winter on the boat, have a few jobs to do on it before we can CC, mainly an upgrade to the electrical system. 

I've just seen that there are winter moorings at Bourneville Lane, which could be good to allow us to get the work done. Does anyone know if there are any facilities there (water/electric)? What do you get for your money? 

Have contacted Lyon's, this looks ideal for us, so will see how that goes. Will also see what Lady Lane say, as we can also make that work location wise. 

43 minutes ago, sw419 said:

This will be our first winter on the boat, have a few jobs to do on it before we can CC, mainly an upgrade to the electrical system. 

I've just seen that there are winter moorings at Bourneville Lane, which could be good to allow us to get the work done. Does anyone know if there are any facilities there (water/electric)? What do you get for your money? 

Have contacted Lyon's, this looks ideal for us, so will see how that goes. Will also see what Lady Lane say, as we can also make that work location wise. 

Is this on the offside visitor mooring by Cadburys?  Personally I would not find that too attractive for a winter mooring.

11 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Is this on the offside visitor mooring by Cadburys?  Personally I would not find that too attractive for a winter mooring.

Any reasons why? We haven't had chance to go and explore around town yet so have very limited knowledge, sorry! 

53 minutes ago, sw419 said:

There are no facilities at all at Bourneville. Nearest water point is past Kings Norton Junction or Holliday Wharf. Don't think elsan at Kings Norton in use so Holliday Wharf again.

The signed visitor moorings are behind railings and gate but you'll probably have to evict the usual overstayers to take one.

We've stayed for a short period at Lyons. Very friendly people and plenty of parking in the road outside.

1 minute ago, sw419 said:

Any reasons why? We haven't had chance to go and explore around town yet so have very limited knowledge, sorry! 

Because it doesn't have a good reputation.