Preparing for road move - what needs to be done?

JGL

Featured Posts

I recently bought my first narrowboat, it's going to be moved by road this week.

I'm just preparing it for the move (taking stuff off the roof, packing everything loose into boxes, etc) but wondering there's anything I might not have thought of. 

Do you think the rear pram cover will be okay simply folded down? (not sure how to go about removing it)

Any words of wisdom appreciated!

Joe

Pram hood will be fine, just tie it down so wind doesnt get under it and lift it. Better if the water tank is empty, its unnecessary weight. Everything on the floor our cupboards and ensure doors dont flap around, tape usualy does the job. Ensure telly, plants etc etc stowed away. Ensure!!!!!!! YOUR insurance covers it in case there is a cock up and whoever is not insured!!!!

5 minutes ago, JGL said:

Do you think the rear pram cover will be okay simply folded down? (not sure how to go about removing it)

The lorry could be going up to 60mph, so I'd remove the pram cover, or the wind may remove it for you! Empty the water tank. If it has a pump out tank, empty that too to save weight on the crane. Turn off diesel stop cocks from/to the tank. Possibly gaffer tape cupboard and other internal doors shut to save them swinging and pulling on the hinges?

Jen

Edit: Post clash with @mrsmelly!

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

1 minute ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

The lorry could be going up to 60mph, so I'd remove the pram cover, or the wind may remove it for you! Empty the water tank. If it has a pump out tank, empty that too to save weight on the crane. Turn off diesel stop cocks from/to the tank. Possibly gaffer tape cupboard and other internal doors shut to save them swinging and pulling on the hinges?

Jen

Thanks, that's useful. I'll have try figure out how to remove the cover ?

Just now, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Make sure the ecofan is removed from the stove top and put somewhere safe. @mrsmelly would be very upset to hear if it fell off and got damaged! ?

Blimey forgot about that, and just think if a ray of sun shone through a window and hit the fan, it may start twirling and the power would be like banging the air brakes on and stop the truck dead, or if pointed the other way take the truck up to warp speed!!

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Blimey forgot about that, and just think if a ray of sun shone through a window and hit the fan, it may start twirling and the power would be like banging the air brakes on and stop the truck dead, or if pointed the other way take the truck up to warp speed!!

I can see the news flash now. "Motorway closed due to jack knifed lorry. Ecofan blamed".

"I tried to stop." said the traumatised driver at the scene. "The ecofan was in control and just carried on pushing. Nothing I could do."

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Jen

Edit: Post clash with @mrsmelly!

32 minutes ago, JGL said:

Thanks, that's useful. I'll have try figure out how to remove the cover 

When we had ours moved the driver insisted that the covers were removed.

Even if you leave the frame in place (and lash it down very well) remove the canvas and leave it inside the boat

Make sure the bilges are empty and any auto pumps set to off.  The Scout church parade in Blisworth one Sunday many years ago were the unfortunate recipients of the contents of my bilges as the lorry swung round the corner and the "water" piled up and set the auto pump running.

N

• Haha 2
  • Horror 1

54 minutes ago, BEngo said:

Make sure the bilges are empty and any auto pumps set to off.  The Scout church parade in Blisworth one Sunday many years ago were the unfortunate recipients of the contents of my bilges as the lorry swung round the corner and the "water" piled up and set the auto pump running.

N

We used to sit on top of the aquaduct at Wotton wawen , sometimes if a convertible went under the hold bilge switch may have been nudged. 10 points for a bmw. I blame youth.

It was a big pump...

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I have seen pictures of the inside of a boat where the draws and cupboards were not secure. Treat it like a caravan and wedge things against the doors, pull the draws out and lay on the floor 

Lay your drawers on the floor?