Rugby to London

Beetlejuice

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

Have the closure dates changed?

Ive got a window over Xmas- 24th Dec to 6th Jan on the Thames and before 13th Jan for Oxford?

Obviously all subject to it not raining loads and no more lock gates falling off..

Nope winter programme now changed  looky here:-

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/river-thames-conditions-closures-restrictions-and-lock-closures#river-closures-updated-28-november-2019

I thing the recent deluges have cause havoc with their schedule (lorra' plant to be moved eround etc) and all is in a state of flux.

After all the residents are long since tucked up in their moorings - not to venture out until the spring. I can't even get up to Henley for Christmas...

• Greenie 2

9 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Nope winter programme now changed  looky here:-

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/river-thames-conditions-closures-restrictions-and-lock-closures#river-closures-updated-28-november-2019

I thing the recent deluges have cause havoc with their schedule (lorra' plant to be moved eround etc) and all is in a state of flux.

After all the residents are long since tucked up in their moorings - not to venture out until the spring. I can't even get up to Henley for Christmas...

Buggar! Thats my Backup plan out the window then. Thought I had the latest but my copy was Version 2. 

Thanks OldGoat.

My guess is that CRT will find a way to get Denham Deep lock open by the spring, because fortunately they understand that keeping all their waterways open for navigation is an important objective. It can be an uphill task, but they do make an effort.

Also, if the OP comes down via Oxford there's the need to have a  gold licence or pay EA, then wait for the Thames to come off red boards.

So I would advise the OP to plan to use the usual route from Rugby,  down the GU then turn left at Bull's Bridge, and to try to find some suitable work on the way, maybe lining something up before setting off.

• Greenie 1

13 hours ago, Beetlejuice said:

That is why i asked,arethere many dumpers in London then?

It varies, I think. Someone estimated that up to 80% of "continuously cruising" London boats are not lived on, but that probably depends on the time of year and the weather.

A couple of years ago a boat buyer/seller operated in London, and "continuously cruised" his entire stock of 10-12 boats, moving them 1 mile every fortnight (if not sold). 

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, Peter X said:

My guess is that CRT will find a way to get Denham Deep lock open by the spring, because fortunately they understand that keeping all their waterways open for navigation is an important objective. It can be an uphill task, but they do make an effort.

I've not followed the Denham saga closely, but from what I'm seeing elsewhere the damage may be bad enough that trying to allow passage for narrow boats past the damaged gate will not be attempted.

From my experience of a major bottom gate faiure on the Rochdale, it took around 4 to 5 weeks between failure and resolution.  I would expect CRT to give this at least as high priority, but as I understand it Denham is far less accessible.  (The Rochdale one had easy access for a large riad crane, and to get gates to it).

Realistically it will probably not be before the New Year, I rather think.

(But as I say, I haven't followed it closely, and maybe a temporary bodge may be allowed).