Rugby to London

Beetlejuice

Featured Posts

Hi people,i am just wondering how bad mooring is around London,i am currently unemployed on UC on the sick, so fancy a change of scenery and better job options.

Is it true it is three abreast mooring or is this just in the summer.I do not want to stay long,it is a bucket list thing aswell.

Do i have to do the Thames or can i skirt it.I am a single handed boater.

Cheers

My twopenneth. why London?? There are many large conurbations in the UK and all in my opinion of course will be nicer in every way than London. Mooring choices anywhere will be better and less hassle and cheaper if you want to work and therefore want a mooring. Most areas have canals/rivers which is why the boat is an ideal way to live, you can move to any if the boat is a suitable size. You dont need to do the Thames but the Thames is great and you would love it.

• Greenie 1

I went to Coventry centre  and Birmingham both areas were terrible.

Awful dark places.I have been up north and around Manchester.I just want to visit London by boat.Hey who knows, i might stay if i find another nutty woman lol

Do i need another licence other than my crt one?

Just now, Beetlejuice said:

Awful dark places.I have been up north and around Manchester.I just want to visit London by boat.Hey who knows, i might stay if i find another nutty woman lol

Do i need another licence other than my crt one?

On the Thames you do. Try somewhere nice then like York for a change. What work do you do?

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

On the Thames you do. Try somewhere nice then like York for a change. What work do you do?

York is a beautiful place but not for me.

All rounder most  recent jobs first .

Cscs labourer

Forklift

Car painter never again lol

Semi skilled machanic

Arc Welder coded

Handy man

Sales

3 minutes ago, StationMaster said:

Welcome back to the forum...

?

24 minutes ago, Beetlejuice said:

Awful dark places.

Frankly if you weren't keen on Birminghamwhich has to be one of the most boater friendly cities on the UK canals, I wouldn't bother with London.

Given the choice of mooring up in an inner city area, I can't really think of anywhere where the canal is more integrated with its environment than central Brum.

I don't think the problems of mooring up in London are any better in winter than in summer, and it seems that these days at popular places, (and most moorable places are popular!), you will be two or three abreast, (and increasingly having to contend with wide-beams).

• Greenie 2

Just now, alan_fincher said:

Frankly if you weren't keen on Birminghamwhich has to be one of the most boater friendly cities on the UK canals, I wouldn't bother with London.

Given the choice of mooring up in an inner city area, I can't really think of anywhere where the canal is more integrated with its environment than central Brum.

I don't think the problems of mooring up in London are any better in winter than in summer, and it seems that these days at popular places, (and most moorable places are popular!), you will be two or three abreast, (and increasingly having to contend with wide-beams).

I Only skirted Brum,maybe i will pop in again,as for two abreast how do you broach mooring up then? Simply pull up and moor up to another boat?

3 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Quite apart from the current Thames flow conditions, 'major' maintenance means there's no access from the Oxford until March 2020...

So no other routes? I am not up on routes?

2 minutes ago, Beetlejuice said:

I Only skirted Brum,maybe i will pop in again,as for two abreast how do you broach mooring up then? Simply pull up and moor up to another boat?

I've not been into central London for a few years, but it now sems to be the default behaviour, and people seem not to bother to ask too often.

One sees regular posts elsewhere where a boat has been tied on the outside of others, and the others want to move on, but the boat has been left unoccupied.  Small "practicalities" then come into play that if the boat that is moored up is moored using it's own stakes, thee are often no obvious ways to tie up the boat(s) that were outside of it.

Obviously London live-aboards live with all this, and now accept it as the norm, but "outsiders" venturing in may find it all a bit of a shock to the system.

8 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I've not been into central London for a few years, but it now sems to be the default behaviour, and people seem not to bother to ask too often.

One sees regular posts elsewhere where a boat has been tied on the outside of others, and the others want to move on, but the boat has been left unoccupied.  Small "practicalities" then come into play that if the boat that is moored up is moored using it's own stakes, thee are often no obvious ways to tie up the boat(s) that were outside of it.

Obviously London live-aboards live with all this, and now accept it as the norm, but "outsiders" venturing in may find it all a bit of a shock to the system.

Quite often there is no one to ask, on both of my last two visits I was on the outside and never sore any sign of life on the other boat.

London is a big place. Central London can be a circus. Served well by trains however. Perhaps look at the 'burbs. Although they are pretty well used too.

London has a large construction industry but there again so does Brum.

Good luck.

Something to consider for city towpath mooring. More boats moored makes yours more secure. I'd be very wary about mooring in many parts of Brum and Manchester. City centres are often safer than the suburbs. Local knowledge and your own gut feel are guides. I moor in Sheffield and have seen a boat burnt out that was moored away from the safer sites. The BCNS publish a list of mooring sites their experience has found to be fine around Birmingham. Not been to the Smoke by boat, but I've read anecdotal reports that say that the increase in the number of lived on boats in London has made previously highly dodgy areas safer to moor.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Happy 1

5 minutes ago, mark99 said:

London is a big place. Central London can be a circus. Served well by trains however. Perhaps look at the 'burbs. Although they are pretty well used too.

London has a large construction industry but there again so does Brum.

Good luck.

Thank you

2 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Something to consider for city towpath mooring. More boats moored makes yours more secure. I'd be very wary about mooring in many parts of Brum and Manchester. City centres are often safer than the suburbs. Local knowledge and your own gut feel are guides. I moor in Sheffield and have seen a boat burnt out that was moored away from the safer sites. The BCNS publish a list of mooring sites their experience has found to be fine. Not been to the Smoke by boat, but I've read anecdotal reports that say that the increase in the number of lived on boats in London has made previously highly dodgy areas safer to moor.

Jen

Thanks i will look at this BCNS ?

5 minutes ago, mark99 said:

London Victoria Park in East London has sporadic bouts of nasty boat related crimes. I've moored there when passing by but it can be very, very nasty.

Noted thank you.

Edited by Beetlejuice

1 hour ago, Beetlejuice said:

So no other routes? I am not up on routes?

Your canal route would be via the Grand Union - all the way.

down the Oxford would be easier becaus they're narrow locks and easier to work single handed. The Thames locks are all electric and easy to perate - but there are (often) lock keepers on duty.

1 hour ago, OldGoat said:

Quite apart from the current Thames flow conditions, 'major' maintenance means there's no access from the Oxford until March 2020...

Have the closure dates changed?

Ive got a window over Xmas- 24th Dec to 6th Jan on the Thames and before 13th Jan for Oxford (opening after 13/12)?

Obviously all subject to it not raining loads and no more lock gates falling off..

Edited by PaulJ