Facebook Post - Stolen Boat

longstreath

Featured Posts

She is getting a lot of stick at the moment, not surprising she is defencive/fighting back. I think if it had have been as some suggest then she would have left by now. If Northampton police have issued a crime number then they accept its stolen and not a civil matter.

• Greenie 2

6 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

She is getting a lot of stick at the moment, not surprising she is defencive/fighting back. I think if it had have been as some suggest then she would have left by now. If Northampton police have issued a crime number then they accept its stolen and not a civil matter.

I don't think she is getting a lot of stick, I think some members feel information is being withheld or she is being economical with the truth, rightly or wrongly, but an over defensive attitude will do her no favours on here.

• Greenie 1

32 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Much modern policing consists of handing out crime numbers with zero investigation. Did the boat owner even tell the police that money had changed hands?

I have contacted the police twice recently. One was to report a serious crime but they said that as there was no hope of finding the culprit they would put it down as "intelligence" rather than a crime. Second time I reported some "intelligence" about a situation that might result in trouble in the future and was given a crime number.

My slight interest in this case is that a "friend of a friend" recently lost a boat in what might be similar circumstances. In that case the buyers managed to convince themselves that the "deposit" that they had paid was in fact a fair price for the boat and decided not to pay further installments.

.............Dave

6 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I think someone tried to help a friend by posting something concerning a narrowboat on a narrowboat forum.  As Emma isn't the prime mover, she won't know everything there is to know about everything - she just asked a favour, gave the info she had and got a lot of grief back.  If it were me, I'd have been a lot ruder to some people by now... give it a rest, if you do spot what you think is the relevant boat, pass the info to the police - any more information about who, what or why is none of our business.  And at least she had the bottle to post under her name, not a pseudonym.

Well said. If it were possible to award two or more greenies then I would. But it isn’t, so I haven’t; you’ll have to make do with one :)

13 hours ago, Emma Smith said:

No one has to convince you.  Happy for you to scroll on by if you're unable to assist. 

Police - Northampton . Call them if you're interested in the reference format. 

Hey Emma I hope your own boat buying goes easier than the hassle you have received on here, remember no all boaters are like some of the posters on here, some of us really do take things at face value, good luck in the future

2 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I think someone tried to help a friend by posting something concerning a narrowboat on a narrowboat forum.  As Emma isn't the prime mover, she won't know everything there is to know about everything - she just asked a favour, gave the info she had and got a lot of grief back.  If it were me, I'd have been a lot ruder to some people by now... give it a rest, if you do spot what you think is the relevant boat, pass the info to the police - any more information about who, what or why is none of our business.  And at least she had the bottle to post under her name, not a pseudonym.

Absolutely spot on, I was not defending the comments made by some members and you are right in what you say , but as has been said, sometimes a stolen boat isn't a stolen boat so people want to know all the nitty gritty before they invest any  time helping.

33 minutes ago, Rickent said:

Absolutely spot on, I was not defending the comments made by some members and you are right in what you say , but as has been said, sometimes a stolen boat isn't a stolen boat so people want to know all the nitty gritty before they invest any  time helping.

It's difficult isn't it, someone asks for help and forum cynicism kicks in, which is understandable from the forum, considering some of the history of stolen boats on here, but it understandably comes across as nasty to the OP, the OP becomes defensive which then feeds negative feedback from the forum.

It's a real shame particularly when I think back to the historical positive response, I remember being impressed by the community coming together 

• Greenie 3

17 hours ago, restlessnomad said:

its not that bad, just takes time but because you are not buying another house, you can just sit back and relax. whatever you do, dont go to purplebricks.

We r buying another poxy house for old mum ?

Bro in law sold with purple bricks last month. 999 pounds for a house that sold for 640k. Other estate agents wanted thousands. They r all cowboys. 

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Bro in law sold with purple bricks last month. 999 pounds for a house that sold for 640k. Other estate agents wanted thousands. They r all cowboys. 

depends on the house and how much hassle you want to to get into, because purplebricks charges upfront and does nothing for you.

I know a friend who did everything, viewing, dealing with price negotiation etc directly with buyer. Some are good at it some are not.

1 minute ago, restlessnomad said:

depends on the house and how much hassle you want to to get into, because purplebricks charges upfront and does nothing for you.

I know a friend who did everything, viewing, dealing with price negotiation etc directly with buyer. Some are good at it some are not.

I dread dealing with property, it bores me to death. hence will be auctioning mums house to get rid. Be better if everyone lived on boats, vastly more interesting :D and bugger all paperwork.

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

I dread dealing with property, it bores me to death. hence will be auctioning mums house to get rid. Be better if everyone lived on boats, vastly more interesting :D and bugger all paperwork.

thats exactly why I suggest you go to a local estate agent, they are surely more expensive than purplebricks but much less hassle for you because its their job to sell your property.

You should not pay upfront though, it should be commission basis only.

in any case you should ask few of them to give you free valuation, even if you dont go with them.

4 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Thing is, an estate agent might have got £650k wit a it of active marketing, but you'll never know. 

And another thing is, having conducted dozens of property transactions myself, my experience of estate agents is quite extensive and youi simply cannot tar them all with the same brush, any more than you can politicans. Yes there are plenty of scheming manipulative bar steward EAs out there but equally there are many out there who are decent and honest and nothing like the reputation EAs have and you have unthinkingly bought into.  I suggest you put some effort into finding one. Serious research. Go and interview a few (or a lot). Yes the oily ones in their shiny suits will have you wanting to throw up as they patronise you but in every town there WILL be at least one grown up serious estate agent with integrity who treats you with respect. Often they are the one-man-band estate agents, or husband and wife teams with just one small shop front. Avoid the chain estate agents, they are ones full of the oily barrow boys who should still be in short trousers.

Rant over....

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Thing is, an estate agent might have got £650k wit a it of active marketing, but you'll never know. 

And another thing is, having conducted dozens of property transactions myself, my experience of estate agents is quite extensive and youi simply cannot tar them all with the same brush, any more than you can politicans. Yes there are plenty of scheming manipulative bar steward EAs out there but equally there are many out there who are decent and honest and nothing like the reputation EAs have and you have unthinkingly bought into.  I suggest you put some effort into finding one. Serious research. Go and interview a few (or a lot). Yes the oily ones in their shiny suits will have you wanting to throw up as they patronise you but in every town there WILL be at least one grown up serious estate agent with integrity who treats you with respect. Often they are the one-man-band estate agents, or husband and wife teams with just one small shop front. Avoid the chain estate agents, they are ones full of the oily barrow boys who should still be in short trousers.

Rant over....

Thanks Mike. Yeah, I agree but you know my posts!! Met two today, one of each if you know what I mean and meeting another tomorrow. Thing is time is not on our side, not being funny mum is 99 so we cannot realy drag our feet lol. I have appreciated everyones input re the house thing ?

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Thanks Mike. Yeah, I agree but you know my posts!! Met two today, one of each if you know what I mean and meeting another tomorrow. Thing is time is not on our side, not being funny mum is 99 so we cannot realy drag our feet lol. I have appreciated everyones input re the house thing ?

Best of luck. There will always be one who is a clear professional businessman and deals 'man-to-man' properly. Breath of fresh air when you find one. 

Sadly now is the worst possible time of year to start marketing. It doesn't just slow down around xmas, the market utterly dies a DEATH. My advice is wait until Feb to instruct if you can. Reason being, once the house goes on Rightmove the date of listing is there for everyone to see and I doubt you'll shift it in Dec or Jan, and come the upturn in Feb/March peeps will see it's been on for months with no takers and you'll keep getting low low offers. Unless as you say, you're not too bothered about the price and just want it sold in which case pick you fave EA, and ask him to list it at £10k lower than the lowest valuation you hasd, in return for a haircut on his commission rate.

• Greenie 1

• 8 months later...
On 04/12/2019 at 11:47, peterboat said:

Hey Emma I hope your own boat buying goes easier than the hassle you have received on here, remember no all boaters are like some of the posters on here, some of us really do take things at face value, good luck in the future

Thanks for your support. I've been actively searching these last couple of weeks - it's been a mixed & interesting experience (the people have been lovely).  I found a good option today, and I'll be busy tomorrow seeking a surveyor and boatyard in Cambs. Fingers crossed she surveys well and I'll soon be cruising back on my future home :)

On 03/12/2019 at 22:16, mrsmelly said:

The beauty of buying and selling boats is there is no paperwork or solicitors crap to get in the way. I love it. Just about to sell mums house and it's going to be crap and legislation all the way ?

But with a house you know it's yours when it's done and dusted with a boat there is always a chance that someone turns up and tells you "sorry mate it don't belong to you". With a car you can see if there is outstanding finance but a narrowboat nothing. There should be a register with CRT using boat s/n which is welded on the hull (boat vin #) to say who the rightful owner is and if there is a loan outstanding. Then buyers are safe from buying nicked stuff it would not be full proof but better than now as its 100% on trust. Even the brokers put a clause in the contract you can't hold them accountable if it turns up nicked or with outstanding loans on the boat. Paying £50,60k + on trust does make you think should I do this deal or not.

41 minutes ago, Oddjob said:

But with a house you know it's yours when it's done and dusted with a boat there is always a chance that someone turns up and tells you "sorry mate it don't belong to you". With a car you can see if there is outstanding finance but a narrowboat nothing. There should be a register with CRT using boat s/n which is welded on the hull (boat vin #) to say who the rightful owner is and if there is a loan outstanding. Then buyers are safe from buying nicked stuff it would not be full proof but better than now as its 100% on trust. Even the brokers put a clause in the contract you can't hold them accountable if it turns up nicked or with outstanding loans on the boat. Paying £50,60k + on trust does make you think should I do this deal or not.

When I bought a boat in the EU, the boat was registered with the Government "Department of Maritime Affairs" and to de-register it to take it out of the country I had to apply to their Government, have the registration rescinded, all witnessed by an Attorney.

Screen shots of the document below.

There is such a system as you propose run by the UK Government (Maritime & Coastguard Agency) but for some reason it is not used on the Inland Waterways (and its not particularly expensive !)

Since 1998 The boat's HIN (Hull Identification Number) is already 'welded' into the hull as part of the RCD  so 'modern expensive' boats should have identification, it is just not 'used' for any useful purpose.

https://www.gov.uk/register-a-boat/the-uk-ship-register

Part I registration

Register your boat on the Part I register if you want to:

• prove you own the boat
  • prove your boat’s nationality
  • use the boat as security for a marine mortgage
  • register a pleasure vessel
  • get ‘transcripts of registry’, which show the boat’s previous owners and whether there are any outstanding mortgages

Your boat must have a unique name to be registered.

It costs £153 to register for 5 years.

Screenshot (330).png

Screenshot (331).png

Edited by Alan de Enfield

1 hour ago, Oddjob said:

I see your point but still prefer the fact no crap is involved. My last boat took me 20 minutes to see and pay for and use. A house would have been weeks of crap. 

On 04/09/2020 at 00:39, Emma Smith said:

Thanks for your support. I've been actively searching these last couple of weeks - it's been a mixed & interesting experience (the people have been lovely).  I found a good option today, and I'll be busy tomorrow seeking a surveyor and boatyard in Cambs. Fingers crossed she surveys well and I'll soon be cruising back on my future home :)

It’s a great feeling when you do, 4 years later for me and still smile about my first cruise on new boat, easier now as I’ve got to know all the quirks and jobs it needed. Was there any result in location of boat that started whole thread?