Facebook Post - Stolen Boat

longstreath

Featured Posts

In addition if you look back through all the previous stolen boat threads, you'll see that almost all of them turn out not to be straightforward cases of theft. Hence the scepticism of the older posters here when a case crops up with big unanswered questions. 

• Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

In addition if you look back through all the previous stolen boat threads, you'll see that almost all of them turn out not to be straightforward cases of theft. Hence the scepticism of the older posters here when a case crops up with big unanswered questions. 

Hi, I’ve answered relevant questions here and on my fb post. I appreciate that there are complex scenarios - I’ve seen/ read them myself (on fb).  However, some posts are straightforward and genuine. I have no control (or want any) on how readers decide what is genuine or not. I just hope someone reaches out to advise if they’ve seen it. 

Edited by Emma Smith

3 hours ago, restlessnomad said:

please keep checking this thread (or your mailbox because you will receive replies there), hope you will find your boat.

Will do, thanks 

3 hours ago, Cheese said:

Is the suspicion that the buyer has taken the boat, having paid only a deposit and not the balance?  If so, then doesn't the fact that the deposit was paid by bank transfer offer a way (for the police) to contact the buyer?  Or is it that the buyer came back to pay the balance, but the boat had by then been taken by a third party?

How much of a project boat?  Working engine, or needs / needed towing?

My friend passed all details re bank trans to Police. My friend doesn’t know who stole it - one can only speculate as to who it may have been. There’s no proof at present, hence trying to track it down and hand details to the Police. 

3 minutes ago, Emma Smith said:

Hi Nicknorman

Totally understand and more than aware re abusive partners. Crosses my mind too. Sad state of affairs eh. 

Appreciate it’s how people might react but it’s also the perfect mechanism to track a stolen boat and report to Police to deal with. Hard and rock place. 

Hi Emma I'm glad you've picked up on what basically should be your thread.

You're still not telling us very much about anything.

You've been asked if it is capable of movement or needs towing? Make of engine, water cooled or air cooled?

I've read somewhere there is a suspicion it might be headed for Coventry .... Why? What's the story there? ..... Which Police station issued the report number? .... Is there a particular route to Coventry that is behind that assumption? Have you checked fuel stops and manned locks along that way?

What kind of distinguishing marks has this boat got? Bumps, dents, bits that have been welded like old windows? The sort of things you would recognise it by regardless of paint?

Inside layout that might still be unchanged? I.E. pump out toilet or not? Solid fuel stove set up in a particular cabin?

As others here will point out almost every report we read of like this turns out to be an exaggeration of circumstances, and to be honest they usually offer more details than you do.

We already have one currently suspicious thread about a stolen boat running which is so vague and underpinned by as many questions as Trivial Pursuit.  I appreciate yours has been posted on this forum and FB by others and not you, however if it were my boat I'd be doing my best to circulate all of the above details and photo within my possession to everybody and anybody within 50 yards of a canal.

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'm guessing that the Police wouldn't be interested unless the owner could provide any evidence of ownership and any evidence that the boat was no longer in the owners possession.

All details with Police. Crime reference detailed in post. 

19 minutes ago, Emma Smith said:

Hi, I’ve answered relevant questions here and on my fb post. I appreciate that there are complex scenarios - I’ve seen/ read them myself (on fb).  However, some posts are straightforward and genuine. I have no control (or want any) on how readers decide what is genuine or not. I just hope someone reaches out to advise if they’ve seen it. 

Hey Emma. There are many of us micky takers on here but rest assured we will be looking out for ya boat cos most of us havnt anything better to do lol. One point though, do yourself a favour and bin your Farcebook account, it will do you know good in the long run :cheers:

Edited by mrsmelly
  • Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

Hi Emma I'm glad you've picked up on what basically should be your thread.

You're still not telling us very much about anything.

You've been asked if it is capable of movement or needs towing? Make of engine, water cooled or air cooled?

I've read somewhere there is a suspicion it might be headed for Coventry .... Why? What's the story there? ..... Which Police station issued the report number? .... Is there a particular route to Coventry that is behind that assumption? Have you checked fuel stops and manned locks along that way?

What kind of distinguishing marks has this boat got? Bumps, dents, bits that have been welded like old windows? The sort of things you would recognise it by regardless of paint?

Inside layout that might still be unchanged? I.E. pump out toilet or not? Solid fuel stove set up in a particular cabin?

As others here will point out almost every report we read of like this turns out to be an exaggeration of circumstances, and to be honest they usually offer more details than you do.

We already have one currently suspicious thread about a stolen boat running which is so vague and underpinned by as many questions as Trivial Pursuit.  I appreciate yours has been posted on this forum and FB by others and not you, however if it were my boat I'd be doing my best to circulate all of the above details and photo within my possession to everybody and anybody within 50 yards of a canal.

Pls bear in mind this is not my boat - so more detailed questions are going back to my friend to answer. 

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Hey Emma. There are many of us micky takers on here but rest assured we will be looking out for ya boat cos most of us havnt anything better to do lol. One point though, do yourself a favour and bin your Farcebook account, it will do you know good in the long run :cheers:

Ta. As for fb, I think I’ll stay. I’m there for the groups. Like any online forum, I mostly scroll on by the trolling/ negativity/ baiting/ drama - much like offline life ?

2 hours ago, Emma Smith said:

Pls bear in mind this is not my boat - so more detailed questions are going back to my friend to answer. 

Of course Ems sorry about that ...... you will be my age one day and, I hope less easily confuddled than I .... have I had my dinner yet?

The boat could have been removed by the local council, the company that owns the retail park or by EA. These moorings opened in April  2002 for use by visitors to the retail park and paid for by B&Q. Misuse of these moorings has been a problem for some time.

42 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

The boat could have been removed by the local council, the company that owns the retail park or by EA. These moorings opened in April  2002 for use by visitors to the retail park and paid for by B&Q. Misuse of these moorings has been a problem for some time.

It’s been moored there so long, this boat, that it appears on google maps.  Although I guess if they retook the satellite image tomorrow, it would be gone!

871AC075-438C-4B0B-A90C-E37FF2935DC4.jpeg

2 minutes ago, The Dreamer said:

It’s been moored there so long, this boat, that it appears on google maps.

Lol, a first class example of how these threads usually turn out not to be as first presented. 

In the light of this new information, it looks as though this boat might have been illegally moored and eventually lifted/disposed of by the mooring owner. 

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Lol, a first class example of how these threads usually turn out not to be as first presented. 

In the light of this new information, it looks as though this boat might have been illegally moored and eventually lifted/disposed of by the mooring owner. 

Not the case. Boat stolen as reported. 

Additional info from my friend, boat owner:

Boat has a lister engine SR3, air cooled. Moves under own power.

Has a plastic roof at bow end; has a 1950 Rayburn - placement in boat can be seen by chimney location in photo. General condition can be seen in photos, taken when put up for sale Sep 19.

Last seen at Wilton Locks heading North - he forgot to give me a date so have asked and will edit this post. Edit - seen 19 September.

Edited by Emma Smith

Have you spoken with Leon on the Northampton Arm?  He will have a good idea what/who has moved up the Northampton Arm in the last two months.  If it went downstream, it will have been dealing with strong streams since September so may not have got as far as you think.

19 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

You seem very confident. How do you know it has been stolen and not disposed of? It's not even your boat. 

There's a huge amount of speculation on this thread of what has happened to my friends boat. I won't engage in speculation as it doesn't help. I prefer to focus on the purpose of my post which is to locate my friends' stolen boat; share relevant info, and hope to hear from anyone who may have spotted it. My friend understands its a long shot so long after it was taken, but one worth attempting all the same. It costs nothing to ask.

12 minutes ago, GRLMK38 said:

Have you spoken with Leon on the Northampton Arm?  He will have a good idea what/who has moved up the Northampton Arm in the last two months.  If it went downstream, it will have been dealing with strong streams since September so may not have got as far as you think.

Thanks very much, I will pass the message on. I don't know Leon but my friend might since he lived on this boat for the last circa 8yrs on these waterways (even if moored in Nton for last couple of years). Cheers

Edited by Emma Smith

9 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Well if it was heading north through Whilton over 2 months ago, it could be anywhere by now!

Yep, true. Still worth posting on the off chance someone has seen it - can't write it off without trying.

42 minutes ago, GRLMK38 said:

Just heard back from my friend, said he spoke to some fella (wasn't sure of name) at the Nton floor flight - apparently he helped the boat through for cash. 

The trouble is, generally speaking all boats look much the same, once you get past the trad /cruiser stern thing.  Give it a new name and coat of paint (or probably no name and a coat of paint) and the only thing you can't really change is the window layout, and that's petty generic.  After nearly three months I can't see how anyone could recognise it.  Phone CRT, tell them it's just come off nonCRT waters, get a new number and sell it to the "we buy any boat" boys.

I remember a story of a mooring on the Shroppie about thirty years back where the mooring owner noticed that people only came and visited their boats once a year, if that,  sold most of them and legged it to Spain with the proceeds.

9 hours ago, Emma Smith said:

Boat Index number 54185

That registration is not recognised on the CRT online checker...

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/boating/licensing/boat-check/submission/54185/status/not-found

Is listed on CanalPlan, but as with most of their records, they last updated in 2013, since the last time they did a FOI requesT to CRT.  So sometime in the last six years it appears to have fallen off of CRT records...

2 minutes ago, The Dreamer said:

That registration is not recognised on the CRT online checker...

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/boating/licensing/boat-check/submission/54185/status/not-found

Is listed on CanalPlan, but as with most of their records, they last updated in 2013, since the last time they did a FOI requesT to CRT.  So sometime in the last six years it appears to have fallen off of CRT records...

It was on the Nene.

14 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

The trouble is, generally speaking all boats look much the same, once you get past the trad /cruiser stern thing.  Give it a new name and coat of paint (or probably no name and a coat of paint) and the only thing you can't really change is the window layout, and that's petty generic.  After nearly three months I can't see how anyone could recognise it.  Phone CRT, tell them it's just come off nonCRT waters, get a new number and sell it to the "we buy any boat" boys.

I remember a story of a mooring on the Shroppie about thirty years back where the mooring owner noticed that people only came and visited their boats once a year, if that,  sold most of them and legged it to Spain with the proceeds.

Not even surprised.

Isn't it a worry how poorly controlled boat ownership is/ or how easily it can be circumnavigated...  it makes me anxious as I'm planning to move onto a nb next spring.

Edited by Emma Smith