Facebook Post - Stolen Boat

longstreath

Featured Posts

There was one that was recovered near Sandon on the T&M which was waiting for a prosecution and we never heard anything further and there was Holly belonging to Middlewich boats which was found on the South Oxford. I can't think of any other genuine "finds" Oh, there was another around Polesworth Fazeley area a couple of years back. 

40 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

There was one that was recovered near Sandon on the T&M which was waiting for a prosecution and we never heard anything further and there was Holly belonging to Middlewich boats which was found on the South Oxford. I can't think of any other genuine "finds" Oh, there was another around Polesworth Fazeley area a couple of years back. 

There was a Sea Otter on the GU which had been/was in the process of being repainted from blue to green. Founds thanks to this forum

haggis

45 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

One at Bary Howkins place

I remember Romarni being super sleuth from her mooring on the Atherston locks without enough phone credits but able to communicate on the internet finding stolen boat.

Another former contributor sadly lost now

Edited by Ange
bloody auto correct

14 hours ago, Ange said:

I remember Romarni being super sleuth from her mooring on the Atherston locks without enough phone credits but able to communicate on the internet finding stolen boat.

Another former contributor sadly lost now

That's the one

On 02/12/2019 at 07:08, ditch paddler said:

This was moored on the pontoon at Mid Summer meadow a couple of weeks ago, it will not be registered with Crt as it spent years on the moorings at B+Q which is not a recognised navigation to EA or Crt.
Was in local paper not so long back when it sunk and spent a while underwater. 

Personally don’t think this is a straight forward ‘Stolen’ boat case there will be more to the story.

That was a different boat - belonged to an old boy who was away when it sank. My friend was his neighbour.

The sunk was boat was lifted by the council and I believe you can see it next to the yoghurt pot in one of the pics. 

On 02/12/2019 at 08:15, longstreath said:

Well this is getting curiouser and curiouser. I hope we find out the eventual outcome.

Isn't the Mid Summer Meadow mooring just a short distance away?

Not the same boat. Same location / mooring & my friends' neighbour, until it sank. 

Edited by Emma Smith

On 02/12/2019 at 09:12, alan_fincher said:

I think in the time I've been assiciated with the forum maybe as many as 3 reported thefts have proved to be just that, with no further back story about the theft.

I bet given time I could find ten times that number where it has not been a straight theft, and the majority of those were not a theft at all.

This one really doesn't ring true, and the onus is firmly on those telling us it is a genuine theft to convince us of that.

Me, I'm certainly not convinced yet.

Without going back through 70 plus posts have we even yet been told which Police force, or why the alleged crime reference doesn't apparently match usual formats?

No one has to convince you.  Happy for you to scroll on by if you're unable to assist. 

Police - Northampton . Call them if you're interested in the reference format. 

The beauty of buying and selling boats is there is no paperwork or solicitors crap to get in the way. I love it. Just about to sell mums house and it's going to be crap and legislation all the way ?

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

The beauty of buying and selling boats is there is no paperwork or solicitors crap to get in the way. I love it. Just about to sell mums house and it's going to be crap and legislation all the way ?

its not that bad, just takes time but because you are not buying another house, you can just sit back and relax. whatever you do, dont go to purplebricks.

Can't be ar*** to read this thread in detail, but it looks to me that this is not a stolen boat. Owner sold it and knows the buyer, and has received some money for the boat. Buyer "collected" boat but has not paid more money, so this is really a dispute about how much the boat was worth (from both the buyers and sellers perspective), how much was paid, and how much was agreed to be paid. Surprised the police gave a crime number as this is a commercial dispute, possibly for the small claims court. Does seller have any paperwork to show how much the agreed price was and how much has been paid?  Sadly this sort of thing happens a lot with low value boats, especially if the deal involved payment by installments.

..................Dave

21 minutes ago, dmr said:

Can't be ar*** to read this thread in detail, but it looks to me that this is not a stolen boat. Owner sold it and knows the buyer, and has received some money for the boat. Buyer "collected" boat but has not paid more money, so this is really a dispute about how much the boat was worth (from both the buyers and sellers perspective), how much was paid, and how much was agreed to be paid. Surprised the police gave a crime number as this is a commercial dispute, possibly for the small claims court. Does seller have any paperwork to show how much the agreed price was and how much has been paid?  Sadly this sort of thing happens a lot with low value boats, especially if the deal involved payment by installments.

..................Dave

An entertaining & chimeral reply, thanks Dave.

p.s. paperwork is the business of the seller/ buyer and no one else. Oh, and the police in regard to this matter.

Edited by Emma Smith

10 minutes ago, Emma Smith said:

An entertaining & chimeral reply, thanks Dave.

p.s. paperwork is the business of the seller/ buyer and no one else. Oh, and the police in regard to this matter.

But you have said that a deposit has been paid so why is my post chimeral????

You (or your friend) have inferred that they know who "stole" this boat and it was "stolen" by the person who had paid Some money for it. I know about these things :)

If you find the boat and the new owner can prove that they have paid Some money for it then its a dispute about the amount of money rather than theft.

Am I wrong?

.............Dave

I think expecting someone posting for a friend to have every single fact at her fingertips is a bit farfetched. She probably has a life, too... 

And re buying boats with no provenance, I bought mine 30 years ago  with cash on a handshake from a slightly dodgy secondhand car dealer whose address I never knew and with no paperwork at all and without a survey and I've still got the damn thing, so it doesn't usually go wrong! 

• Greenie 1

30 minutes ago, dmr said:

You (or your friend) have inferred that they know who "stole" this boat and it was "stolen" by the person who had paid Some money for it. I know about these things :)

If you find the boat and the new owner can prove that they have paid Some money for it then its a dispute about the amount of money rather than theft.

Am I wrong?

.............Dave

Hey Dave

What relevance does this have to a call out for any sightings of a stolen boat?  Let me assist - none.

The finer details of the theft, well that's a Police matter and they're satisified.  Gratifying your curiosity is not my concern.

Why chimeral? 2/3rds of your post is why; I'm being generous.

Edited by Emma Smith

5 minutes ago, Emma Smith said:

Hey Dave

What relevance does this have to a call out for any sightings of a stolen boat?  Let me assist - none.

The finer details of the theft, well that's a Police matter and they're satisified.  Gratifying your curiosity is not my concern.

Emma,

The issue is do you want to find the boat? If so, that is your concern - if, in the process you inadvertently satisfy some sad curiosity that is surely a side issue?

See post 68.

8 minutes ago, Emma Smith said:

Hey Dave

I have no curiosity and little interest in this. I do suspect you are abusing the good nature of this forum, but my advice is that you (sorry your friend) should be taking this through the small claims court or via a solicitor if you believe that you have a good case.

I reported a non crime concern to the police last year and got a crime number, they hand out a crime number everytime you speak to them, I doubt they have investigated and decided there was a crime, in fact if you had told them the truth (that money had changed hands) I doubt they would have issued a crime number.

Again, tell me I am wrong :)

Are the "thieves" total strangers or were they already known to your friend?

44 minutes ago, dmr said:

I have no curiosity and little interest in this. I do suspect you are abusing the good nature of this forum, but my advice is that you (sorry your friend) should be taking this through the small claims court or via a solicitor if you believe that you have a good case.

I reported a non crime concern to the police last year and got a crime number, they hand out a crime number everytime you speak to them, I doubt they have investigated and decided there was a crime, in fact if you had told them the truth (that money had changed hands) I doubt they would have issued a crime number.

Again, tell me I am wrong :)

Are the "thieves" total strangers or were they already known to your friend?

Yes, no interest or curiosity and yet here you are - again, concocting your version of my friends' experience.  A frustrated novelist, perhaps.

And since you asked again, you're wrong, very wrong.

Crime number stands.

FYI - The buyer was a stranger to my friend; I don't own a boat and haven't to date. 

:)

50 minutes ago, frahkn said:

Emma,

The issue is do you want to find the boat? If so, that is your concern - if, in the process you inadvertently satisfy some sad curiosity that is surely a side issue?

See post 68.

Of course I want to help him find his boat. 

Re: post 68 - covered in previous replies and photographs.

Edited by Emma Smith

7 hours ago, Emma Smith said:

Of course I want to help him find his boat. 

Re: post 68 - covered in previous replies and photographs.

Fair enough Emma, have it your way - you are certainly making progress to that end on this site!!

8 hours ago, dmr said:

Being a feek plummer I had to look it up. 

"Chimeral" means, apparently, like a chimera. So I looked up "Chimera".

Chi·me·ra

also Chi·mae·ra  (kī-mîr′ə, kĭ-)

n.

1. Greek Mythology A fire-breathing female monster usually represented as a composite of a lion, goat, and serpent.

2. An imaginary monster made up of grotesquely disparate parts.

So I'm none the wiser. I can't see why Dave's (probably accurate) analysis of the situation is in any way 'chimeral'. My guess is it drew the criticism because it is accurate. The lady doth protest, and all that.

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Being a feek plummer I had to look it up. 

"Chimeral" means, apparently, like a chimera. So I looked up "Chimera".

Chi·me·ra

also Chi·mae·ra  (kī-mîr′ə, kĭ-)

n.

1. Greek Mythology A fire-breathing female monster usually represented as a composite of a lion, goat, and serpent.

2. An imaginary monster made up of grotesquely disparate parts.

So I'm none the wiser. I can't see why Dave's (probably accurate) analysis of the situation is in any way 'chimeral'. My guess is it drew the criticism because it is accurate. The lady doth protest, and all that.

I would guess that maybe Emma made a spelling error and meant :

Definition of chimerical : existing only as the product of unchecked imagination : fantastically visionary

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I would guess that maybe Emma made a spelling error and meant :

Definition of chimerical : existing only as the product of unchecked imagination : fantastically visionary

Yes Goggle offered me that as a possible alternative, but I stuck with what she wrote and failed to click the link. 

I'd say she is right, Dave IS "fantastically visionary"...

• Greenie 1