Facebook Post - Stolen Boat

longstreath

Featured Posts

I am copying this verbatim from a facebook group page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/NarrowboatOwnersGroup/

Please excuse me if its already been posted, but I haven't seen it after a search here.

Posting for a friend not on fb.

He had his narrowboat stolen (Market Harborough 57ft Cruiser) between 16th - 18th September from Nene river, Northampton town centre behind B&Q. Was sold to a buyer for £5k. Buyer paid deposit on 14th September by bank transfer; planned to collect 19th September.

Buyer knew seller was away between 16-18 September.

Buyer not communicating with seller in any form.

Reported to Police on 19 September. Police ref: 19000511980.

He’d really like to locate his boat so drop me a note if seen at anytime.

Thanks

Edit - pls feel free to share post on other narrowboat forums.

78177542_10156405361416199_8621466098698551296_n.jpg.02d2a80544c484566b7d233a33418359.jpg

78739059_10156405361431199_5115120820481425408_n.jpg.cf87daabffd88657ab75585c291d3ab8.jpg

78841814_10156405361531199_6288835047747223552_n.jpg.c8378986b935ad4784f116a0e76022d8.jpg

7 minutes ago, frangar said:

£5k seems a bit cheap whatever happened.....or am I cynical?

I think that the reality is that the owner (seller) was actually to pay the 'buyer' £5k to take it away, the 'seller' gave the 'buyer' a part payment and whilst away on holiday the boat sank on its mooring. The 'buyer' realised that he had taken on more than he could 'chew' and decided to walk away.

It would cost £1000's to have it lifted out and cut up - scrap value would be 'negative'.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I think that the reality is that the owner (seller) was actually to pay the 'buyer' £5k to take it away, the 'seller' gave the 'buyer' a part payment and whilst away on holiday the boat sank on its mooring.

It would cost £1000's to have it lifted out and cut up - scrap value would be 'negative'.

Has someone checked it’s not under the water on the mooring....my surveyor was once called out to a ”stolen” boat that had done just that.....

Righty Ho!  We've got ourselves: - 

No Boat Index No.

No Name

No Police Crime No.

Originally posted by a person on FB on behalf of a friend.

Repeated on here by somebody different again.

I'm going to go and make myself a coffee and some toast.

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

No Boat Index No.

No Name

No Police Crime No.

Sounds like a very sensible idea!

6 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

No Boat Index No.

No Name

No Police Crime No.

Well, the persons name who posted it on FB is Emma Smith.

In the original post, where I copied the details from FB, there is a Police ref: 19000511980.

No details of the boat though other than the photos provided. 

4 minutes ago, longstreath said:

In the original post, where I copied the details from FB, there is a Police ref: 19000511980.

Well that's all very helpful. 

I saw a green narrowboat here a bit like in the photos the other day. That might be it.

Or it might have been the other week.

Hope that helps...

4 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Seems a bit odd this happened over 2 months ago and only now appearing on social media.

Owner isn’t on Social Media - so not so strange. I suggested posting when we caught up this weekend

18 minutes ago, longstreath said:

The aim was to try to help someone out. Not the best idea I guess.

Yeah, some harsh commentary. 

3 hours ago, frangar said:

I read this on Facebook and I’m still confused as to who stole what from who! £5k seems a bit cheap whatever happened.....or am I cynical? 

Project boat mate. 

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I think that the reality is that the owner (seller) was actually to pay the 'buyer' £5k to take it away, the 'seller' gave the 'buyer' a part payment and whilst away on holiday the boat sank on its mooring. The 'buyer' realised that he had taken on more than he could 'chew' and decided to walk away.

There’s always a know it all who, in reality knows nothing at all. 

35 minutes ago, Up-Side-Down said:

Sounds like a very sensible idea!

Boat Index number 54185

Crime ref in original post

3 hours ago, frangar said:

Has someone checked it’s not under the water on the mooring....my surveyor was once called out to a ”stolen” boat that had done just that.....

Not sunk, stolen. 

35 minutes ago, longstreath said:

Index number 54185

Edited by Emma Smith
Spelling error

28 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I saw a green narrowboat here a bit like in the photos the other day. That might be it.

I thought that the boat in question was blue - see photos earlier in the thread.

30 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Well that's all very helpful. 

Or it might have been the other week.

Hope that helps...

Nope, I think I'll settle for marmalade .............

12 minutes ago, Athy said:

Welcome, Emma. Has there been any news of your boat?

Hi Athy, only posted yesterday so still working through replies. It’s my friends’ boat. Thanks for asking.

Is the suspicion that the buyer has taken the boat, having paid only a deposit and not the balance?  If so, then doesn't the fact that the deposit was paid by bank transfer offer a way (for the police) to contact the buyer?  Or is it that the buyer came back to pay the balance, but the boat had by then been taken by a third party?

How much of a project boat?  Working engine, or needs / needed towing?

1 minute ago, Cheese said:

Is the suspicion that the buyer has taken the boat, having paid only a deposit and not the balance?  If so, then doesn't the fact that the deposit was paid by bank transfer offer a way (for the police) to contact the buyer?

I'm guessing that the Police wouldn't be interested unless the owner could provide any evidence of ownership and any evidence that the boat was no longer in the owners possession.

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

Hi Emma

You should be aware that posting about a “stolen boat” has on occasion been a tool for an abusive husband/partner to track down the whereabouts of their escaped and abused partner. Being of the female persuasion perhaps you can thus understand why people don’t immediately take such posts at face value, especially if the story seems a bit odd at first sight.

Similary such things also sometimes turn out to be a dispute between buyer / seller or owner / contractor. It would be nice if everything on social media was true and honest but something tells me this isn’t always so! Not that I am suggesting your posts are anything other than genuine, I’m just explaining why you got the reaction you did.

Hi Nicknorman

Totally understand and more than aware re abusive partners. Crosses my mind too. Sad state of affairs eh. 

Appreciate it’s how people might react but it’s also the perfect mechanism to track a stolen boat and report to Police to deal with. Hard and rock place.