Do you need a new engine & gearbox ?

Featured Posts

No involvement with the seller, just found the advert.

Could be of use to someone at a reasonable price (a PRM 150 is getting on for £1000)

https://www.findafishingboat.com/beta-38/ad-107693

3c2713c6-a175-46ce-aec1-937dd393f739_large2000.jpg

Derated by Beta Marine to 26kw, with paperwork. serial no. K34474

PRM 150 D2 Gearbox
70amp Alternator with Poly Vee Drive
Calorifier connections
Stainless Steel Elbow
C Panel Deluxe with 5m Harness
2100 hrs
New Parts: Oil Filter, Air Filter, Fuel Filter, Anode, Oil.
Also comes with 4 new engine mounts.

This engine was fitted in Summer 2016 and replaced March 2019.
Been in original packing box since.
Can be seen running, runs perfectly.
We were going to keep this one to build power pack but plans changed.
Paintwork could do with a touch up, nothing hidden.
Engine will come with 800ml of Beta red paint.

Carriage from £75 or collection in Fife

20 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Asking price £2,600 according to the advert. Reasonable enough but hardly a screaming bargain. 

Agreed, but being about £3000+ below the 'new price' it could be useful for someone building 'on a budget' (as most seem to be).

RCR have got the smaller Beta 30 with a mechanical PRM125 gearbox on sale at £5500 - 'to clear' as customer has not paid for it.

33 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Arent the red ones raw water cooled?

I doubt Beta now supply direct raw water cooled engines so it's indirect (heat exchanger) raw water cooled but its easy enough to convert to tank cooling and dry exhaust. There are tow ways. One is to simply direct the raw water that would normally go into i the exhaust into the skin tank and draw it back out via what would have been the sea inlet pipe but this will need a second heater tank on the skin tank circuit. The second way involves taking the raw water pump impeller out and blanking the raw water connections. Then take coolant from the manifold/header tank to the skin tank and return it to the input for the engine (not raw) water pump.

2 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I doubt Beta now supply direct raw water cooled engines so it's indirect (heat exchanger) raw water cooled but its easy enough to convert to tank cooling and dry exhaust. There are tow ways. One is to simply direct the raw water that would normally go into i the exhaust into the skin tank and draw it back out via what would have been the sea inlet pipe but this will need a second heater tank on the skin tank circuit. The second way involves taking the raw water pump impeller out and blanking the raw water connections. Then take coolant from the manifold/header tank to the skin tank and return it to the input for the engine (not raw) water pump.

170e512e-0fb5-4595-ae9c-bad1b6266b76_large2000.jpg

2 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

The one in the picture certainly is, you can see the cooling water pipe outlet going into the exhaust stub.

But you can also see the pipe connected to the ENGINE water pump plus a pressure cap. Neither of which would be on a direct raw water cooled engine. As I said it is an INDIRECT or heat exchanger cooled engine.The wet exhaust has very little to do with the cooling and everything to do  with wanting a wet exhaust. On our keel cooled cruisers we used wet exhaust systems for which we had to fit the Jabsco and sea inelt etc.

Insisting indirect raw water cooled engines are just plain raw water cooled only leads to confusion for the less experienced. Please use the correct terms - direct raw water cooled. indirect raw waster cooled/heat exchanger cooled.

The red Beta engines as I understand are primarily designed for sea use so MIGHT have some different metals to green ones and probably have a replaceable anode in the water jacket, neither of which are much consequence for an inland engine.

36 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

But you can also see the pipe connected to the ENGINE water pump plus a pressure cap. Neither of which would be on a direct raw water cooled engine. As I said it is an INDIRECT or heat exchanger cooled engine.The wet exhaust has very little to do with the cooling and everything to do  with wanting a wet exhaust. On our keel cooled cruisers we used wet exhaust systems for which we had to fit the Jabsco and sea inelt etc.

Insisting indirect raw water cooled engines are just plain raw water cooled only leads to confusion for the less experienced. Please use the correct terms - direct raw water cooled. indirect raw waster cooled/heat exchanger cooled.

The red Beta engines as I understand are primarily designed for sea use so MIGHT have some different metals to green ones and probably have a replaceable anode in the water jacket, neither of which are much consequence for an inland engine.

Yes, you are correct in that it is an indirect raw water cooled engine but it is still cooled by raw water via the heat exchanger. The raw water still needs to be pumped from the river/sea to the heat exchanger and out via the exhaust. The system still has the inherent problem of blockages of the inlet filter/mudbox and pump impeller failures.

1 minute ago, Flyboy said:

Yes, you are correct in that it is an indirect raw water cooled engine but it is still cooled by raw water via the heat exchanger. The raw water still needs to be pumped from the river/sea to the heat exchanger and out via the exhaust. The system still has the inherent problem of blockages of the inlet filter/mudbox and pump impeller failures.

Yes it does / has.

BUT it is a simple conversion to get it to draw from the 'keel tanks' instead.

Its not a 'biggy' and to save £3000+ should be worthy of consideration.

Ready for incoming:-

It's Red paint 'cos salty water folks are superstitious and Green is unlucky  (strange 'cos the founder of Beta was a proper boater and he would have known that (I got a lot of laughs in the past about that) .

The exhaust is water cooled - and that won't go well on a skin tank (too much heat to get away in that).

A water cooled exhaust engine is a lot quieter than one with a normal silencer and probably a bit quiter if there's an 'ospital  silencer.

If it's a 50HP it'll work well on the canals and better on a decent river.

Mine is a 50 HP....