Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Athy

THREE DEPARTURES

Featured Posts

The grim reaper had a field day yesterday as three household names left us. Two, critic and broadcaster Clive James and producer, director and author Dr. Jonathan Miller, will - or should - be remembered for their outstanding contributions to the English language, and for their sardonic and mordant senses of humour. Miller's 'France: A Nation On The Verge Of A Nervous Breakdown' (his most recent book unless I'm mistaken) is far less heavyweight than the title suggests, full of incisive observation of and humour about rural France, where he had lived for some years. 

The third one was Gary Rhodes who cooked and sold expensive meals, and who has been taken long before his appointed time. I have many times laughed until my sides ached at the wit of James and Miller; I hope I wouldn't have laughed at Gary's food, though I might have allowed myself a discreet post-prandial burp.

Edited by Athy

Yes its sad but for two of them its just normal old age I suppose? Gary though did a lot to make us realise how good British grub is a real shame

23 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

No, that was a few years ago.

Actually Graham he did die due to a fall and hitting his head, itsj ust come through on my Google feed,  his last words were life couldn't have been better 

6 hours ago, peterboat said:

Yes its sad but for two of them its just normal old age I suppose?

Clive James was "terminally diagnosed" with leukaemia ten years ago,then had a lot of additional illnesses. He was "only" 80, an age I have every intention of bettering!  

1 hour ago, zenataomm said:

Will Margarita Pracatan make a comeback?

Her age is (was) never public, but her last advertised performance was nearly 7 years ago, so I think it's unlikely somehow...

6 hours ago, Athy said:

Jonathan Miller, will be remembered for ... sardonic and mordant sense of humour.

The part of his obit that had me spluttering tea everywhere was:

"Miller (as a director) cherished the incredulous laughter that greeted Eric Idle, as KoKo, opening the letter from the Mikado with an indignant: “I can’t read this; it’s in Japanese.”

• Greenie 1

49 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Clive James was "terminally diagnosed" with leukaemia ten years ago,then had a lot of additional illnesses. He was "only" 80, an age I have every intention of bettering!  

Her age is (was) never public, but her last advertised performance was nearly 7 years ago, so I think it's unlikely somehow...

Fingers crossed for you mate, I would like to get to120 and die making love to a beautiful young lady! however the reality is it will never happen ?

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

She apparently appeared in a U.S. T.V. series this year, says Wiki.

Her interview by Clive James (on YouTube) is rib-tickling indeed. I must say that I'd rather hear her talking than singing, though another clip of her rendering (or rather, rending) 'It's Not Unusual' when Tom Jones was a guest on the show is quite entertaining.

2 hours ago, peterboat said:

Actually Graham he did die due to a fall and hitting his head, itsj ust come through on my Google feed,  his last words were life couldn't have been better 

Apologies, I read it wrong in the press release I saw. It looks like it was probably caused by damage from his previous fall.

10 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

Apologies, I read it wrong in the press release I saw. It looks like it was probably caused by damage from his previous fall.

No need to apologise you are correct well according to my google feed you are

27 minutes ago, peterboat said:

you are correct well according to my google feed you are

It's usually a waste of time and effort quoting that particular source, Peter!

Wikipedia, on the other hand ...

"Rhodes died in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, on 26 November 2019; he was aged 59.[11] Rock Oyster Media and Goldfinch TV said in a statement to the PA news agency that Rhodes was taken ill very suddenly at home, during a break in filming a new television series, and died a short time afterward.[31] It was later confirmed by Rhodes's family that his death was as a result of a subdural haematoma, normally associated with a brain injury."

2 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

It's usually a waste of time and effort quoting that particular source, Peter!

Wikipedia, on the other hand ...

"Rhodes died in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, on 26 November 2019; he was aged 59.[11] Rock Oyster Media and Goldfinch TV said in a statement to the PA news agency that Rhodes was taken ill very suddenly at home, during a break in filming a new television series, and died a short time afterward.[31] It was later confirmed by Rhodes's family that his death was as a result of a subdural haematoma, normally associated with a brain injury."

Google said the same but they attributed to his previous fall, of course it could have been a collision from the wifes hand holding an iron skillet.......................................................

2 hours ago, peterboat said:

Google said the same but they attributed to his previous fall, of course it could have been a collision from the wifes hand holding an iron skillet.......................................................

That's the problem I had with the report.

linky to Wiki

A bit of guesswork was involved!

50 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

I remember Rhodes on TV one night making a pork pie ? I had the urge to go straight into the kitchen and start baking. 

Had I seen it I would have had the urge to go to the Co-op and buy one!

(Second best to the stand pies from Rawson Market in Bradford, though: I haven't had one of those since my mother-in-law died, some 25 years ago!)

16 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

Miller (as a director) cherished the incredulous laughter that greeted Eric Idle, as KoKo, opening the letter from the Mikado with an indignant: “I can’t read this; it’s in Japanese.”

That Mikado is one of the best ever productions of any G&S operetta. I recall seeing a documentary about the making of it which included a shot of Miller so overcome by an idea that he falls to the floor, slapping it and spluttering, literally a case of ROFL. I have a DVD of the Opera Australia production which is hilarious - don’t know if the original is available.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, BruceinSanity said:

That Mikado is one of the best ever productions of any G&S operetta. I recall seeing a documentary about the making of it which included a shot of Miller so overcome by an idea that he falls to the floor, slapping it and spluttering, literally a case of ROFL. I have a DVD of the Opera Australia production which is hilarious - don’t know if the original is available.

This may be of interest:

linky to YouTube

19 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

The part of his obit that had me spluttering tea everywhere was:

"Miller (as a director) cherished the incredulous laughter that greeted Eric Idle, as KoKo, opening the letter from the Mikado with an indignant: “I can’t read this; it’s in Japanese.”

MrsS saw this production at the ENO and has happy memories of it.

Clive James was in that "must watch" category of TV entertainers. 

A rare beast with a wonderful sideways view on life. 

"Everyone has a right to a university degree in America, even if it's in Hamburger Technology." 

Edited by reg
  • Greenie 1

On 28/11/2019 at 12:41, Laurie.Booth said:

Dr. Jonathan Miller, murdered I expect.

:)

Why would you expect that?

In fact he had Alzheimer's Disease.