I joined the CTC

LadyG

Featured Posts

44 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Me too,city of Hull 152 squadron.

Gave me a lifelong love of aircraft and initial tuition on the Trombone.

Remember the summer camps and camarardie very fondly.

Can't remember which squadron we were in Scarborough. I too remember it fondly, including the summer camps at RAF bases, but I joined the Navy!

21 hours ago, LadyG said:

OK, Cycling UK as it is now branded.

Excellent new member package, I got a set of really good lights as a freebie, easy payment, lots of benefits.

And you should silence the anti-cyclists on here since you now have Third Party insurance (but then they will insist that you should number plates,cycling test,road duty,....etc.etc) so perhaps not:unsure:

8 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

And you should silence the anti-cyclists on here since you now have Third Party insurance (but then they will insist that you should number plates,cycling test,road duty,....etc.etc) so perhaps not:unsure:

I don't want to start (revive) a long debate but answer me one question:-

An insured cyclist, squeezing up the inside of traffic scrapes the door of a stationary car. Damage can and is hundreds of pounds to repair. Cyclist does a 'runner'. It happens. How does the motorist's insurance company trace the cyclist. Answer, it doesn't so the motorist pays through loss of NCD, excess etc. All for want  of a registration number. Hardly seems fair does it?

• Greenie 2

12 minutes ago, Slim said:

An insured cyclist, squeezing up the inside of traffic scrapes the door of a stationary car. Damage can and is hundreds of pounds to repair. Cyclist does a 'runner'. It happens. How does the motorist's insurance company trace the cyclist. Answer, it doesn't so the motorist pays through loss of NCD, excess etc. All for want  of a registration number. Hardly seems fair does it?

Cyclist struggling up hill, hurrying motorist squeezes past, knocking cyclist off. Cyclist dead or badly injured. Hardly seems fair does it, regardless of registration plates or insurance. 

My car, like my boat, has to take the knocks without me worrying about it, otherwise it's not fit for purpose.   

Edited to add - I'm more worried about what my car can do to a cyclist than what a cyclist can do to my car.

Edited by magpie patrick

15 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

Cyclist struggling up hill, hurrying motorist squeezes past, knocking cyclist off. Cyclist dead or badly injured. Hardly seems fair does it, regardless of registration plates or insurance. 

My car, like my boat, has to take the knocks without me worrying about it, otherwise it's not fit for purpose.   

Edited to add - I'm more worried about what my car can do to a cyclist than what a cyclist can do to my car.

I did say I wasn't going to debate...but:-

Where did I say I wasn't concerned about the well being of cyclists? What you choose regarding your car or boat is your business, what I choose is mine. That I choose to have a newish, tidy car is up to me. It doesn't give cyclists the 'right' to damage it without reasonable chance of identifying them.  

1 hour ago, Slim said:

And cars don't have hit and run incidents? Never come back to your car to find the wing mirror broken by a passing car/lorry who didn't stop? And how much good was a registration plate if no-one saw it?? Not really fair is it, (a bit like life).

You seem to be making the assumption that an insured cyclist is going to do a runner, can I assume the same for all car drivers?

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond

5 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

And cars don't have hit and run incidents? Never come back to your car to find the wing mirror broken by a passing car/lorry who didn't stop? And how much good was a registration plate if no-one saw it?? Not really fair is it, (a bit like life).

You seem to be making the assumption that an insured cyclist is going to do a runner, can I assume the same for all car drivers?

Why do you think that users of most types of vehicle have to be registered, insured tested etc to use the roads and yet cyclists using their vehicle do not? They are using a vehicle and if on a road, or more likely footpath the same rules should apply.

4 hours ago, Slim said:

I had exactly this situation  in whilst ststionary in traffic. Cyclist knew he had scraped my car, but rode off leaving me with a large repair bill. 

Wasn't worth claiming off my insurance and losing my NCD  but still cost me several hundred pounds to get the scratches on two doors resprayed. ?

Edited by cuthound
To remove a space masquerading as a letter.

On 28/11/2019 at 09:43, Mad Harold said:

Me too,city of Hull 152 squadron.

Gave me a lifelong love of aircraft and initial tuition on the Trombone.

Remember the summer camps and camarardie very fondly.

I was in 472 squadron, Hoylake. Shooting, flying, gliding....great!

Talking of car side mirrors, bloody horrible things. Its a job enough walking past or parking next to those enormously fat cars without the ears sticking out of em as well. I think they're dangerous too compared with the old spring loaded Tex and Desmo wing mirrors which you only had to do a slight  sideways glance  to see in them or poweder your bugle..  With the horrid door ears you have to turn your head and virtually take your bins off the road to look in them. They're one of the biggest money making scams ever of the motor trade of course, renewing them is silly money. , Them and power steering which wears out tyres quicker and makes your arms get weaker and weaker.  :closedeyes:

5 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Why do you think that users of most types of vehicle have to be registered, insured tested etc to use the roads and yet cyclists using their vehicle do not? They are using a vehicle and if on a road, or more likely footpath the same rules should apply.

I confess.

I drove from age of 13 [legally] up to 29th May this year without incident/claim 

It was blasting sleet in the motorway services car park and some guy parked his Kawasaki in my blind spot just at the moment I drove off, I hit his handlebar and tipped the bike, he went mental, refused to accept my details [genuine], and after a lot of swearing, thirty minutes of swearing, and so on, I left. My van [Herz] was rented, to a company I was working for, I gave him the details,he did not believe me ! 

I would have given him £200 cash to shut him up, but he was "out of control" It was 08.00 and I just gave up.

That is why one should be insured, comprehensive.

Edited by LadyG