57ft Trad Sailaway Lined

Featured Posts

Hi everyone,

Having absorbed a wealth of information from this forum for my first fit out of a Paul Widdowson shell, I now find myself separate from my partner and looking to buy shell number 2. I do not fancy lining out again so looking for recommendations on reputable shell builders that offer fit out.

I have looked at JD Narrowboats but can’t find much information backing up their reputation. Their price 44k inc VAT. Affordable.

Does their name hold up for resale?

Can anyone recommend sailaway lines for similar price that’s better quality and holds value?

I’m Midland’s based so added bonus if builders aren’t too far away but not a deal breaker.

Thanks,

Joseph

37 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

Colecraft?

After continuing my research this evening Colecraft is the one I keep coming across so thank you for this. I like the kick towards the stern similar to the Paul Widdowson shell. I’ve requested a price for a Sailaway lined off Colecraft so hopefully it’s within my budget

36 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Its a lot of money for a sailaway and much more money needed to finish it. Why not buy a decent used boat and pay thousands less so as not taking the big hit from new?

I like the peace of mind with a brand new shell and that I get to look after it from day one. That cost is to include it lined as well. The rest I’m happy to fit out. I feel like I’ll get the best boat for my money doing it this way and with someone lining it instead of me hopefully an enjoyable project. I will look at used though and not rule anything out. Thank you for your suggestion ??

41 minutes ago, Joseph__French said:

After continuing my research this evening Colecraft is the one I keep coming across so thank you for this. I like the kick towards the stern similar to the Paul Widdowson shell. I’ve requested a price for a Sailaway lined off Colecraft so hopefully it’s within my budget

Regardless of whether its within your budget, go and see them.  Seeing their operation is well worth while even if you don't buy from them, and they will explain what factors go into a sailaway quote and give you options.  They won't mind so long as you haven't absolutely decided against them before you go.  Ten years on I am still delighted with the quality of the sailaway I got from them.

Personally i would always buy second hand, as it eliminates the risk of the boatbuilder going under and aviods the inital heavy depreciation of a new boat.

However if you are considering a sailaway, have a look at Alexander Boatbuilders. They build good quality middle of the market shells.

http://www.alexanderboatbuilders.co.uk/

I went the lined sailaway route on my boat, twelve years ago now. I don't think Pipers are in that market now. They seem to concentrate on Dutch barge style wide beams. As @Boater Sam says, you need to decide where your services go first as they will be behind the lining, but there are lots of other things that will be making holes in the lining. My electrics were all behind the lining, but plumbing and gas pipes were not, so joints were accessible. I did drawings of where everything was to go. 12V socket outlets. Ceiling down light position, light switch positions, mains socket positions and if they were a single, or double pattress, so a suitable cutout could be made. Skin fitting locations, window locations and if they were porthole, narrow bus window, wide bus window, or side hatch. Roof vent locations. Internal bulkhead locations to define the bathroom area. Water and other pump locations, so the wires could be laid to them. Electrics cupboard location, where the wires all terminate. I did it on a Cad package, so got nice drawings to give to them, but dimensioned hand drawn diagrams would work to. Simon Piper reckoned it was the first time a customer had done Cad drawings for their boat!

The more detail you give the builder the better chance you'll get the lining as you want it and the fewer changes and patches you'll have to make. However, any mistakes you make will be entirely your responsibility!

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Greenie 1

I bought a hull and lined it out all by my self - unaided. The physical part of lining wasn't too horrific - if you use props and stands to hold things in place.

That way you control what goes where behind the scenes. I've seen some awful positioning of services done by the 'professionals'...

• Greenie 1

I can only reiterate what Cuthound said: look for a good second hand boat that has nearly everything that you would demand if you were buying a new boat. 

Like buying a new car, buying a new boat is financially inappropriate: you pay someone’s profit and tax bills, then have to accept that what you just paid £X for is now worth £X minus perhaps 20%.

39 minutes ago, RonnieF1967 said:

Its our forever home so if we live aboard for 20 years the reduction will be pennies in reality. Death and Taxes the only thing you can rely on.

You will sell it someday. After ten years living aboard I bough a new shell and fitted it out thinking it would suit me " For ever " but in reality it was too short at 57 feet and we went longer. Now another twenty years after that we are on our 8th liveaboard, boats are like cars, they dont all do the same job. I liken it to a lad of 19 with an mx5 for him and girlfriend, when hes 29 and married with three kids an mx5 is about as much use as an eco fan. Still it wouldnt do for us all to be the same innitt :D

• Greenie 1

8 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I went the lined sailaway route on my boat, twelve years ago now. I don't think Pipers are in that market now. They seem to concentrate on Dutch barge style wide beams. As @Boater Sam says, you need to decide where your services go first as they will be behind the lining, but there are lots of other things that will be making holes in the lining. My electrics were all behind the lining, but plumbing and gas pipes were not, so joints were accessible. I did drawings of where everything was to go. 12V socket outlets. Ceiling down light position, light switch positions, mains socket positions and if they were a single, or double pattress, so a suitable cutout could be made. Skin fitting locations, window locations and if they were porthole, narrow bus window, wide bus window, or side hatch. Roof vent locations. Internal bulkhead locations to define the bathroom area. Water and other pump locations, so the wires could be laid to them. Electrics cupboard location, where the wires all terminate. I did it on a Cad package, so got nice drawings to give to them, but dimensioned hand drawn diagrams would work to. Simon Piper reckoned it was the first time a customer had done Cad drawings for their boat!

The more detail you give the builder the better chance you'll get the lining as you want it and the fewer changes and patches you'll have to make. However, any mistakes you make will be entirely your responsibility!

Jen

Agree with Jen and Sam about thinking carefully about where the electrics are going to go, and keep all gas and water plumbing accessible.  When i had my lined sailaway built I had a detailed diagram of where everything was to go, done using Excel with square cells = 1ft (basically 42 x 6).  I also visited the builder almost daily and as well as discussing progress, took plenty of photos of what was where before the final lining was fixed.  Those photos have proved useful on several occasions.