Stringer and knee spacing

A lot of work needed

Featured Posts

For the base, up to about 10mm and the sides the norm is 50 mm x 4 mm plus equal RSA knees spaced so you can get a paving slab between each pair of knees and a horizontal of similar sized  angle about half way up the hull.  Over  10 mm bottom it doesn't much matter! Just use something convenient to support the floors.

For the cabin sides it depends on thickness.   A 4mm side will only need tags to hold the battens and some framing supports round the windows.  3 mm will want stiffening like a roof.  For the roof  most use 25mm sq x 3 mm thick RHS at 610 mm centres, so an 8x4 sheet can easily be fixed.  A really thin or bouncy  roof may need more.  Adjust spacing if you are using some odd sized timber or sheet insulation. If you can curve it to suit,  25 mm equal angle, web up   is better as there is no water trap beteen roof and stiffener.  T bar is even better, but dearer.

N

On 27/11/2019 at 15:54, A lot of work needed said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=fba7ffdd30274950imageproxy.php?img=&key=fba7ffdd30274950Hi, 

I have an old narrow boat that has been completely gutted. Can anyone advise me on what steel...e.g.1" or 2" box to use for this and at what centers should they be at?

TIA....Ben

Your shell has been gutted to the extent that the stringers and knees have been removed? 

The only thing I would add to BEngo's advice is that if you are going to use slab insulation, it's convenient to have the battens spaced just slightly narrower than the insulation.  This way you can hold the insulation slab between the battens as a push fit with no need to trim it.