Hooking up a Victron MultiPlus 2000w 12v Inverter/Charger

Jim Batty

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Jim Batty said:

We've got a new Victron MultiPlus 12v / 1600w / 70Amp inverter-charger ... and I've decided to have an expert hook it up!

When the Search Mode on this Victron is activated the quoted defaults are:

Shut Down = 40 Watts (linear load)

Turn On = 100 Watts (linear load)

I'm trying to calculate whether it would shut down when using low draw items like a phone charger, a radio on charge, or a hand-hoover on charge. With these items, should I be looking at their rated INPUTs or OUTPUTs?

For example, for the Phone Charger:

INPUT is 100-240v / 0.35A   (Watts = v x A; so 240 x 0.35 = 84W)

OUTPUT is 5v / 2.1A   (Watts = v x A; so 5 x 2.1 = 10.5W)

Which wattage for the phone charger plays a role in when the inverter shuts down to save energy, 84W or 10.5W?

Firstly, by “linear load” I think it means a resistive load (incandescent light bulb etc) rather than an inductive or capacitive load. A charger may not be strictly “linear”. Also, I think the input rating can be pretty overstated - it is perhaps the overload / transient load under exceptional conditions. If the thing took in 84w and gave out 10.5w, it would be dissipating 73.5W and that would make it get incredibly hot. Presuming it doesn’t, I suggest that at its rated output of 10.5W it is probably taking in no more than 12 to 15W. A device being charged may not take the full 2.1A, especially as it approaches fully charged.

Generally I find that these eco / search modes are more trouble than they’re worth, especially for low power items such as the chargers you mention. Won’t hurt to try I suppose, but I think you will want to turn it off eventually.

23 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Firstly, by “linear load” I think it means a resistive load (incandescent light bulb etc) rather than an inductive or capacitive load. A charger may not be strictly “linear”. Also, I think the input rating can be pretty overstated - it is perhaps the overload / transient load under exceptional conditions. If the thing took in 84w and gave out 10.5w, it would be dissipating 73.5W and that would make it get incredibly hot. Presuming it doesn’t, I suggest that at its rated output of 10.5W it is probably taking in no more than 12 to 15W. A device being charged may not take the full 2.1A, especially as it approaches fully charged.

Generally I find that these eco / search modes are more trouble than they’re worth, especially for low power items such as the chargers you mention. Won’t hurt to try I suppose, but I think you will want to turn it off eventually.

My understanding is that a "linear load" is a steady state, unvarying load.

A load that is not inductive or capacitive is more usually described as "resistive".

Otherwise I fully concur with your post.

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

My understanding is that a "linear load" is a steady state, unvarying load.

A load that is not inductive or capacitive is more usually described as "resistive".

Otherwise I fully concur with your post.

I think you have to bear in mind this is translated from Dutch by someone for whom English is not their first language. "Linear" means "like a line" - that line doesn't have to be flat, it might be sloping. But I'm sure they don't mean that!

4 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Also, I think the input rating can be pretty overstated

^^^^ This.

I don't trust current figures for mains input printed on a gadget, or in the destruction manual. They are extreme, or transient conditions. For steady state, I'd stick a plug in power meter on and get some real time measurements.

12 hours ago, nicknorman said:

I think you have to bear in mind this is translated from Dutch by someone for whom English is not their first language. "Linear" means "like a line" - that line doesn't have to be flat, it might be sloping. But I'm sure they don't mean that!

When I was working "non-linear" loads were typically devices with switch mode power supplies, which usually corrupt their soirce of power by injecting harmonics into it.

Victron were familiar with this term as they supplied large industrial equipment such as UPSs and DC power supplies to the telecomms industry.

https://www.victronenergy.com/markets/industrial

It is reasonable therefore to assume that they understand "linear" loads to be those which are non reactive and do not corrupt the power source.

Edited by cuthound
Missing link

Hmmmm, I'm thinking I'll leave the Search Mode turned off. We CC most of the year and when the inverter is on it's usually for a reason -- to get stuff charged up. Otherwise it's turned off (with the battery bank charged via solar separately for about 7 months of the year).