Nells Bridge Navigable?

Alway Swilby

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Wow!

Thats higher than when we were there back in October.

I dare say the river is flowing across the field and towpath into the canal below the weir lock too.

Its quite a bit lower than it was in november but yes the fields are now part of the river. The towpath was completely submerged about a month ago between nell bridge and the diamond lock but its all but level now. No hope for anything but low boats with a low back cabin and certainly nowt modern with boxes on the roof or one of those Jodrell bank fitments some people seem to need to watch telly!!

Its still raining so its deffo best to stay put as there is nowt much doing here although plenty of good moorings top of Nell bridge at present.

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Not been to the locks this morning but the canal and fields above are even higher today so it will be no go at this location methinks.

Probably not of much help but I stopped for a quick pint at the Great Western about an hour ago and the level was perhaps 4" from the towpath.

40 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Submerged tow path just North of Rugby apparently. Our dog walker reports.

The towpath is always a quagmire after the Bill n Ben bridge up to the quarry.  Newbold moorings are not much better and seem to be always full of dog sh&t.  north of the tunnel - forget it until well past the railway bridge.  Still it slows down the  cyclists, innit Mr S:construction:

• Greenie 1

20 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

I have not managed to stop for a quick pint at the Great Western yet! I’ve stopped at the Great Western a few times though.

On a good day, it wouldn't be quick, especially with the Hooky. However, I was on my way back from Deddington as I live in a nearby village!

2 hours ago, rustynewbery said:

The towpath is always a quagmire after the Bill n Ben bridge up to the quarry.  Newbold moorings are not much better and seem to be always full of dog sh&t.  north of the tunnel - forget it until well past the railway bridge.  Still it slows down the  cyclists, innit Mr S:construction:

Everything you say is true.

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I dont do Farcebook old boy. Its well wet round here and nowts moving.

One boat was moored below the bridge on a tight centre line before the level went higher  https://www.facebook.com/groups/NarrowboatOwnersGroup/permalink/2530033067274966/

Edited by ditchcrawler

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

One boat was moored below the bridge on a tight centre line before the level went higher 

Yes the missus went down tonite and came back and said it was heeling over. She foned and asked me if she should slacken the ropes. I said not to as I am not risking her getting injured or falling in there for a numpty that has abandoned his boat. It will not sink or get any worse tonite, I will go sort it in the morning.

56 minutes ago, rustynewbery said:

That Grainne Mhaol has previous, its always being  abandoned somewhere along the south Oxford for weeks on end

Yes you and I know it well. She still has her mooring you know where and abuses the privelage. In other news boats on tight lines have been slackened.

12 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Apparently the paddles are up both ends in Banbury as the Cherwell is coming into the  canal and trying to flood the building site.

Yes its a tad damp round here at present. Last time it was like this was summer of 2007 iirc? Its probably the wettest winter for newbs with less than say ten years in I would think? Likewise we havnt had a cold winter since 2010 so many will get a shock next time we have one.

57 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Apparently the paddles are up both ends in Banbury as the Cherwell is coming into the  canal and trying to flood the building site.

I don't think trying is the word, it already flooded in November, though not as bad as the site on the A44 out of Worcester where they're building another bridge and bypass to ease the congestion at Powick.  The Severn was over the big traccer wheels?

Banbury "flooding" is when the  water is level with the station platforms like 1987.  That's what you get when planners divert rivers and put them in concrete channels.  The Spice ball centre was relocated after it flooded then and again in 2007.  The present building site is right on the flood plain so hopefully up on stilts when it opens.

Down past the Pig farm and Aynho towards Heyford will be a paddy field - its all Oxford bound

6 minutes ago, rustynewbery said:

Banbury "flooding" is when the  water is level with the station platforms like 1987.  That's what you get when planners divert rivers and put them in concrete channels.  The Spice ball centre was relocated after it flooded then and again in 2007.  The present building site is right on the flood plain so hopefully up on stilts when it opens.

Down past the Pig farm and Aynho towards Heyford will be a paddy field - its all Oxford bound

Yep, nail on head. I am looking across fromt Pig place as we speak and its a complete lake over the cut where the river used to be.