Braunston Historic Boat Rally 2020

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

On 06/12/2019 at 10:24, David Mack said:

I have today received my invitation to the rally from Braunston Marina, confirming the date as 27-28 June. 

My envelope contains a Christmas card (with me on my boat on the front) ? and a letter giving the date saying a registration form will follow in the Spring.

1 minute ago, furnessvale said:

My envelope contains a Christmas card (with me on my boat on the front) ? and a letter giving the date saying a registration form will follow in the Spring.

If only they would set things up so you could do it all online!

I get thoroughly fed up with having to complete paper copies of everything every yera, and stich them in an actual ost box.

Made worse by the fact I'm usually having to do it all twice, (2 boats).

Admittedly they are not the only organisers of historic boat events that are not in the 21st century, but it really isn't necessary to fill out paper forms any more!

20 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

I get thoroughly fed up with having to complete paper copies of everything every yera, and stich them in an actual ost box.

Admittedly they are not the only organisers of historic boat events that are not in the 21st century, but it really isn't necessary to fill out paper forms any more!

Get out of bed the wrong side this morning did we Alan?  Or did you take a double dose of "Miserable old Git" pills?

20 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Expanding on David's point, life's a bitch and then you die. Best you try to get over it. :giggles:

27 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Get out of bed the wrong side this morning did we Alan?

Not possible, David.

The bed on Flamingo is only accessible by climbing up onto it at the foot end.

Have you got shares in Royal Mail, then?

• 3 months later...
7 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

I am surprised that the ongoing and worsening public health crisis has not yet caused this event to be cancelled, or have I missed something :captain:

Dunno, but I've just heard that the Audlem historic boat gathering on 25/26 July has been cancelled.

1 hour ago, pete harrison said:

Yes, I have just read that elsewhere which made me think about the event at Braunston :captain: 

I don't think it needs cancelling. I won't be turning up and I doubt anyone else will either!

• Greenie 1

If is to be re-scheduled, please not to the 19-20 Sept.

Over the 6 months of the "Summer", I have a steam, heritage rail, vintage car, boat or music event every weekend.

All have been cancelled up to the beginning of June currently.

Some have already been rescheduled - several for that weekend in September - so I now have 5 things I could do that weekend. 

Edited by jake_crew

8 minutes ago, jake_crew said:

Over the 6 months of the "Summer", I have a steam, heritage rail, vintage car, boat or music event every weekend.

Some have already been rescheduled - several for that weekend in September - so I now have 5 things I could do that weekend. 

I think it is probably the same for many of us. My summer diary is rapidly clearing, with an increase in re-scheduled activity in the Autumn, but no clashes so far!

Edited by David Schweizer

9 minutes ago, jake_crew said:

1 minute ago, David Schweizer said:

I think it is probably the same for many of us. My summer diary is rapidly clearing, with an increase in re-scheduled activity in the Autumn.

We are seeing much the same.  I'm "bagman", (i.e. event organiser) for New Moon Morris, and what looked like being our busiest year to date is just (unsurprisingly!) turning into a string of cancellations.

At the moment events beyond July (both boating and folk/Morris), seem to not be rushing to announce, but in view of the general prognosis I'd be very surprised if much takes place in 2020 at all.  I'm surprised that Braunston has not already announced.

Many of the things I'm involved in are now saying "maybe in the autumn", but frankly I can't see it.  I'm resolved to the loss of most events, but Alvecote would be the biggest loss for us.  Maybe, just maybe, there may be some kind of normality by then, but I'm not holding my breath.

If we come out of this period of uncertainty with all the people we know in these worlds still alive that in my view will be a result.  Many are now elderly enough to be very much in the "at risk" group.  With a couple of yeras still to go to 70, I'm hoping I'm alright, but not taking too much for granted!

I'm reconciled to writing off this year's boating trips and rallies.  After all, the pubs will all be closed, won't they?

I went to the boat last week and brought home all our supplies of emergency food which had been accumulating on board for ages.

The boat now needs re-ballasting since all the baked bean tins and bottles of booze have been taken off :).

• Greenie 2

Just to confirm the Braunston Historic Boat Rally 2020 has been cancelled. It is hoped to hold it at the end if June 2021 when hopefully President will be back in steam with the help of Tim's £20,000 donation.

Sorry you have been notified in this way but i havent had time to write or e mail everyone.

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, Grahamnewman said:

Just to confirm the Braunston Historic Boat Rally 2020 has been cancelled. It is hoped to hold it at the end if June 2021 when hopefully President will be back in steam with the help of Tim's £20,000 donation.

Sorry you have been notified in this way but i havent had time to write or e mail everyone.

Another example of Tim's generosity and commitment to the history of canals.

Which reminds me, @Grahamnewmanhave you heard anything from CRT about the new "Peter Bridge"?

Thanks for you efforts Graham, looking forward to next year already.

Ref the "Peter bridge" - this is to replace the ladder bridge to make it more disabled friendly, so I guess will be a new build and subject to lots of red tape no doubt.

Edited by jake_crew

16 hours ago, Grahamnewman said:

Thanks for the confirmation Graham.

2 hours ago, jake_crew said:

Thanks for you efforts Graham, looking forward to next year already.

Ref the "Peter bridge" - this is to replace the ladder bridge to make it more disabled friendly, so I guess will be a new build and subject to lots of red tape no doubt.

A Marina Resident, Peter Andrews, left CRT about £150,000 in his will with the wish that it be used to provide a wheelchair friendly bridge to replace the wooden ladder bridge. CRT accepted the monies but do not appear to be doing anything about the new bridge. Maybe they have something in the pipeline.

6 minutes ago, Grahamnewman said:

A Marina Resident, Peter Andrews, left CRT about £150,000 in his will with the wish that it be used to provide a wheelchair friendly bridge to replace the wooden ladder bridge. CRT accepted the monies but do not appear to be doing anything about the new bridge. Maybe they have something in the pipeline.

That's fantastic of him. 

I suspect a suitable new bridge built to modern standards might cost a whole load more than £150k though, such is the way CRT and planning authorities like to gold plate everything these days,.